Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Kernow has early crest ones for £55 at present.

Good grief, and I thought £75 from Hattons was dirt cheap! Screw the colour of the rods, if I can clear it with 'er indoors I'll be having another one at that price thank you very much!

EDIT: Got permission from Mrs NXEA, so purchased with gay abandon! I'm one very happy bunny right now.

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 5

They are cheap as chips - though haven't got down to £40 mark of the Q1's at Hattons (back in the day)... YET

Funnily enough I wasn't after Q1s when they were cheap. I could do with a couple now though seeing as my next layout is going to be Southern Region. Never mind.

Anyway I ordered a J15 from Kernow for £55 (free postage as I also got an O2 and tankers pack). It would have been rude not to at that price as I've already got a set of suitable carriages in my kit pile.

Another happy bunny here.

Jason

• Like 4

Next layout exGER then Jason? Otherwise I'd love to hear your rule one justify for a J15 and matching carriages on the Southern!

Not a dig mate, I'm maxed out for the breed with a duo myself (generously discounted at my local emporium on release). It's a cracking model for 55 notes though so can understand an impulse purchase but am curious as to the usage of those tempted!

C6T.

Next layout exGER then Jason? Otherwise I'd love to hear your rule one justify for a J15 and matching carriages on the Southern!

Not a dig mate, I'm maxed out for the breed with a duo myself (generously discounted at my local emporium on release). It's a cracking model for 55 notes though so can understand an impulse purchase but am curious as to the usage of those tempted!

C6T.

My Southern Region layout is going in the spare bedroom. It's planned as a terminal station with third rail electrics, occasional steam and early diesels. I'm planning on keeping it as prototypical as possible. Based vaguely on Addiscombe with 3 or 4 platforms and goods facilities. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/addiscombe/

My current layout is in the loft and is going to be totally rebuilt eventually. Originally started when I was a teenager. Found again when I moved back to my parents home.

That's a large two track mainline based somewhere around Chester (most of my stock is LMR/WR). But as long as you don't look at the station then it could be almost anywhere. It's never going to be on public view so I can run almost anything up to and including modern diesels and electrics. Just one for watching the trains go by really. As long as the stock running at the time all match, then I'm not really bothered.

As for GER based layouts. You never know. Especially with J70s being planned.

Jason

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Will someone with a copy of Yeadons be able to help with a renumbering query I have please? I've got 65464 with a late crest which I'm looking to backdate to early crest condition. Whilst I could keep the same number and just change the crests, I would like to have an earlier numbered example if possible, does anyone know of any suitable candidates? And whilst i'm asking, I'm thinking of renumbering 65475 - again, any renumbering candidates for early crest condition? Thanks! 

Will someone with a copy of Yeadons be able to help with a renumbering query I have please? I've got 65464 with a late crest which I'm looking to backdate to early crest condition. Whilst I could keep the same number and just change the crests, I would like to have an earlier numbered example if possible, does anyone know of any suitable candidates? And whilst i'm asking, I'm thinking of renumbering 65475 - again, any renumbering candidates for early crest condition? Thanks! 

This site might be useful, the BR database site in making your decision.  

This site might be useful, the BR database site in making your decision.

Thank for the helpful suggestion Mullie. I find BR Database useful for stuff such as knowing that particular J15 had Westinghouse brakes and vacuum ejectors, remembering dates and allocations etc but I'm aware that J15's swapped tenders and had various detail differences and as a as a class are a bit of minefield, and Yeadons is supposedly the bible for this kind of thing. I guess if no one knows I'll have to track down a copy myself!

Give me a day or so - I have Yeadon & RCTS but a busy schedule....

Give me a day or so - I have Yeadon & RCTS but a busy schedule....

EHertsGER - thank you! I have a feeling that there won't be any suitable 653xx candidates out there, as even if you get past all the minor detail differences, I don't think any of them lost their steam brakes and gained air brakes? Time will tell, look forward to hearing back from you. 

EHertsGER - thank you! I have a feeling that there won't be any suitable 653xx candidates out there, as even if you get past all the minor detail differences, I don't think any of them lost their steam brakes and gained air brakes? Time will tell, look forward to hearing back from you.

Not much to go on, admittedly as I have not had time to cross reference anything with Yeadon et al, let alone read my notes, but this lot (the lower group) are all from the same batch (batch B70 of 1912) as 65464, so that may set you in the right direction. 'W&VE' = Westinghouse + Vacuum ejector.

post-6357-0-03078700-1502544660_thumb.jpg

Alas 65464 (and 65465) cannot be modelled as is, so to speak, as by the time they acquired the depicted livery they were fitted with the LTE trip cocks (1939/40). Not likely to appear on anything by Hornby just yet...

From L-R: BR number, BR numbered date, 1946 number, date allocated 1946 number, maker (" = Stratford), build date, date withdrawn.

And some notes on brakes:

post-6357-0-05872400-1502545116_thumb.jpg

Hopefully useful for now...

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

Not much to go on, admittedly as I have not had time to cross reference anything with Yeadon et al, let alone read my notes, but this lot (the lower group) are all from the same batch (batch B70 of 1912) as 65464, so that may set you in the right direction. 'W&VE' = Westinghouse + Vacuum ejector.

attachicon.gifIMG_0585.JPG

Alas 65464 (and 65465) cannot be modelled as is, so to speak, as by the time they acquired the depicted livery they were fitted with the LTE trip cocks (1939/40). Not likely to appear on anything by Hornby just yet...

From L-R: BR number, BR numbered date, 1946 number, date allocated 1946 number, maker (" = Stratford), build date, date withdrawn.

And some notes on brakes:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hopefully useful for now...

Best,

Marcus

Marcus,   

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me, really appreciate it. I might go for 65461, shame I can't renumber to a 653xx. 

I forgot...65460 is also 'out of scope' unless you want to fit the tablet catcher to the (noticeably different) tender - a relic of its M&GN branch line days from c1940 onwards I think. Anyway it was there from the early logo to its demise, by which time it had also acquired red lining (the only one of the class to do so) - but by then it was a Buntingford branch regular.

More anon if I can find/remember it...

Edited by EHertsGER

I forgot...65460 is also 'out of scope' unless you want to fit the tablet catcher to the (noticeably different) tender - a relic of its M&GN branch line days from c1940 onwards I think. Anyway it was there from the early logo to its demise, by which time it had also acquired red lining (the only one of the class to do so) - but by then it was a Buntingford branch regular.

More anon if I can find/remember it...

I didn't know that about 65460, only thing I noticed is that it has red rods. Alas, the final bulled-up condition of members of the class is something which is out of my timeframe unfortunately - that and the fact I don't have the skills/confidence to detail/alter models other than renumbering and applying a new emblem! Thanks again. 

Edited by NXEA!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

To be perfectly honest - although I flagged this one (the specific J15 sound file) up to be fair to Digitrains - I didn't actually like it myself when I heard it.  I actually have Paul Chetter's generic LMS (2P, 3F, etc) sound file in all of my three. That might sound a little bizarre in an LNER engine - but the whistles are more than passably similar to the GER loco, the project has a great air pump, it's got a decent chuff, multi-drive and is very versatile. Although I have the same file in all of my J15's I have been able to tweak it so that they all have little differences, as the prototype would.

Personally I am much happier with this than the J15 file (which is actually by Tony Molyneux).  I just think the Chetter LMS file is better all round.

Hi Don,

Sorry to ask after so long but as I am just mulling over the sound options with my J15 I wondered if I may ask what decoder and speaker you fitted. I guess perhaps the Zimo 648R, but with a 28mm speaker in the allotted space or perhaps one of the cube types? I presume they came from Digitrains along with the Paul Chetter sound file you mention.

thanks,

Izzy

• 10 months later...

...and so the never ending saga of those J15s - this time with bit of productivity to show for it in the form of a complete 4mm scale chassis kit for a P4 J15. Originally designed for the Gibson kit, it may well suit the Nu-Cast kit too. As for the actual Hornby, this will replace everything under the footplate while John at Brassmaster has one of his easichas solutions for the less adventurous in his sights. Of course there is a tender chassis kit too - the two main types will be available.

The kit is a straightforward fold-up and laminate solution that covers the following:

Square bottom fireboxes

Bevelled edge fireboxes

Bevelled edge fireboxes that were once square bottomed (!)

Inside and outside frame guards

Short and long buffer beam/sideaframe reinforcing plates

Short and long brake brackets

Sharp Stewart brakes for the first batch

Steam brakes

Westinghouse brakes

Plain or fluted coupling rods

post-6357-0-52842900-1536438372_thumb.jpeg

It is early days yet as I have not even started the test build but as it is another of my collusions with Justin over at Rumney models (ably assisted by one Alan Fell) I have little doubt it will all fit and work accordingly. Oh, yes, and there is inside motion too...a free kit to anyone who makes it work (it crossed our minds, but as a commercial proposition torturing our customers was found not to be a good plan)!

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2015 at 14:55, orford said:

Getting there with the first one...............

But (before anyone pulls me up on it) - I should point out that the buffers, buffer-beams, tender wheels and loco chassis have yet to be weathered !

The tarpaulin rails/tarpaulin also have to be added in due course.

post-14917-0-15234800-1424616939_thumb.jpg

post-14917-0-92257200-1424617066_thumb.jpg

Nice work on these locos  - I'm tempted to get one and finish with the British Railways lettering as you have done - My reason for posting is that I'm interested in the Kadees - how easy were they to fit and make work noting your comments about the NEM pockets? Thanks.

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just test printed the first J15 wheel centre in a new resin, I also did the same STL file in a general resin and the new hard stuff is much crisper in detail, I think in future I will go for the hard resin as the results are Superior. once I know the centres fit well on a Gibson tyre and press fit on a 1/8" axle I will make these available for others if you want the correct P4 or EM wheels 

IMG_9862.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have just test printed the first J15 wheel centre in a new resin, I also did the same STL file in a general resin and the new hard stuff is much crisper in detail, I think in future I will go for the hard resin as the results are Superior. once I know the centres fit well on a Gibson tyre and press fit on a 1/8" axle I will make these available for others if you want the correct P4 or EM wheels 

Looks great, I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

David Barham

• Like 1

23 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

IMG_9862.jpg

I'm in for a couple of sets...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...