Roco 2014 Catalogue- S160 in H0

Taigatrommel

• RMweb Premium

I've always been fascinated by these locos since my first ride behind one of these on the Worth Valley in the late 70s.

According to this clickable version of their catalogue http://www.flipgorilla.com/p/23023990364711720/show#/23023990364711720/15

liveries planned in HO are US Austrian Zone (p.15), Chinese National Rly (p.16), FS (Italian) Gr 736 (p.23) and US Transportation Corps (p.25)

It'll be interesting if they'll also be released in N by Fleischmann as they're also owned by Roco.

Edited by gc4946

The new catalogue is rather unPC. Strapline on every page proclaiming "It's a man's world".

That's the same slogan they've used for a couple of years. Less photos of attractive ladies compared to the 2013 catalogue though and no images similar to last year's tattoo'd muscleman.

Who will commission the Alaska RR version? 557 is being restored in Anchorage. 

Pat Durand was trying to get an HO model made  in 2011/2. and was trying to see if there was interest. 

Will ROCO offer their USTAC version to NMRA standards? 

Edited by Fenway Park

• 2 years later...

There is some film of the 3d print from the trade show now available on YouTube look for Eisenbahn Romantik Nuremberg teil 2.

post-9134-0-54461900-1458921462.jpg

Gaugemaster are showing this as early 2017 about £400 with DCC sounds fitted!

[Edit] to include a link to clip etc

Edited by AMJ

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought mine from modellbahnshop-lippe - postage cost was just one Euro, despatched Monday, arrived midday Wednesday.

The model comes in its own display case:

post-14389-0-84883100-1485537335_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-82212300-1485537336_thumb.jpg

with some screws holding it to the base:

post-14389-0-87534700-1485537337_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-80279200-1485537338_thumb.jpg

The plastic base is a standardised product, with the packing pieces fixed with screws in locations to suit the model:

post-14389-0-44310700-1485537339_thumb.jpg

The wheel treads are more shallow than usual, so the driving axles can be closer together:

post-14389-0-32411900-1485537349_thumb.jpg

Apart from the obvious daylight under the boiler, this model has daylight through the bar frames under the cab:

post-14389-0-78039400-1485537349_thumb.jpg

This is tender drive, but quite unlike the tender drive of years ago. This is fabulous. The tender chassis is rigid (the bogies do not turn) and the mechanism runs as a A-1-1-A. The tender body is a die casting. 

post-14389-0-92308400-1485537350_thumb.jpg

If Rapido are famed for an "insane" level of detail, well Roco have put detail on this loco you can only see when you pick it up and look underneath. Which I forgot to photograph.

Phenomenal running characteristics after mandatory lubrication and two hours of running in. I don't like sound effects much, so this is the plain DC version. Flywheel on the motor but less extreme than (say) the Heljan class 128, so more controllable.

Surely, this model raises the bar for British railway modelling.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-12884300-1485537340_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

It would...if it were in 4mm scale.

Ivan, I agree with you entirely - but the implication is, there are (still) different standards for the two scales.

I've been told plenty of times, that modern 00 RTR is "just as good as Continental models", but I've never had a recent Continental model to hand to confirm or disprove this. So if there is just one British journalist, or magazine editor, or model shop proprietor, or even manufacturer can notice this model for what it is, then perhaps the 00 modeller can have similarly good models one day.

(Rapido APT-E accepted!).

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wheel tyre profile looks RP25/125 instead of NEM310.

Close.

I've taken the micrometer to the wheels:

The loco driving wheels are around 0.117 inches thick.

The pony truck and tender wheels are around 0.111 inches thick.

- Richard.

I've been told plenty of times, that modern 00 RTR is "just as good as Continental models", but I've never had a recent Continental model to hand to confirm or disprove this. So if there is just one British journalist, or magazine editor, or model shop proprietor, or even manufacturer can notice this model for what it is, then perhaps the 00 modeller can have similarly good models one day.

(Rapido APT-E accepted!).

- Richard.

It does look magnificent, even if a bit restricted as to area and period.

I don't know about recent continental locos as the like of Roco and Gutzold have been achieving this standard of detail and performance for around 15-20 years.

One major UK problem is an aversion to tender drive and another is to any attempt to update the motors. Just look at the angst when Dave Jones tried.  It must have been around 1992 when they began to be put into German RTR. Also see the comments by Tony Wright about the lack of pulling power of UK RTR.

Regarding the wheel profile. The flanges were actually thinner than the British standard so by luck or design they have got that right.

Bernard

• Informative/Useful 1

Not only are continental steam engines superior for detail, they have working lamps,very small gaps between loco and tender  also sound fitted locos are only 75 euros extra and some have smoke generators,plus many locos are all metal construction, Marklin Trix and Brawa  are another two excellent manufacturers

• Like 1

Tender-mounted motors would tend to suit bar-framed engines, though driving the tender wheels also means that what should be a pair of bogies (in this case) ends up rigid.

Gützold was mentioned above. In DDR days, their stuff was of the same standard as Piko, but since reunification they've really pushed the boat out on detail. Their recent Br52s, 03.10 and 65.10 are exquisite ...and have price tags to match.

post-6879-0-49170600-1485558694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

Just a small uptake on Gutzold Locomotives, Gutzold was sold to private investors  in 2013 by Bernd Gutzold,who was retiring from the business. According to Reynaulds Model shop the models are made only in Germany so perhaps that is one reason they are costly. I have two tank class 98 0-4-4 locos, no traction tyres and they too are exquisite  in detail ,plus they run and pull well,

• Like 1

Not only are continental steam engines superior for detail, they have working lamps,....

European engines tend to have electric lamps in fixed positions, regardless of the service they are hauling, so either two or three headlamps "on". They're not like the British headcode system.

...I've been told plenty of times, that modern 00 RTR is "just as good as Continental models", but I've never had a recent Continental model to hand to confirm or disprove this...

The detail is very fine, I very much like the representaton of the bolted together castings of the smokebox saddle and cylinders in that front end view. But now Richard, measure the width over the widest point of the valve chests.

A direct comparision can be made with the S100 models: Roco's HO vs Model Rail/Bachmann's OO. The Roco for detail, the MR/Bach for accurate form...

• RMweb Gold

Just a small uptake on Gutzold Locomotives, Gutzold was sold to private investors  in 2013 by Bernd Gutzold,who was retiring from the business. According to Reynaulds Model shop the models are made only in Germany so perhaps that is one reason they are costly. I have two tank class 98 0-4-4 locos, no traction tyres and they too are exquisite  in detail ,plus they run and pull well,

Don't they just.Mainly DR (DDR) outline.Excellent diesels too. Once sold by the late Bill Eaglesham of MGS.Sadly,no more.

• RMweb Gold

Tender-mounted motors would tend to suit bar-framed engines, though driving the tender wheels also means that what should be a pair of bogies (in this case) ends up rigid.

Gützold was mentioned above. In DDR days, their stuff was of the same standard as Piko, but since reunification they've really pushed the boat out on detail. Their recent Br52s, 03.10 and 65.10 are exquisite ...and have price tags to match.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161126_144413_1480171486380.jpg

Vastly superior to Piko fom the late 1990's.Their DDR 65.10 heavy tank is quite something.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought mine from modellbahnshop-lippe - postage cost was just one Euro, despatched Monday, arrived midday Wednesday.

The model comes in its own display case:

attachicon.gifDSCF5491.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF5493.jpg

with some screws holding it to the base:

attachicon.gifDSCF5498.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF5509.jpg

The plastic base is a standardised product, with the packing pieces fixed with screws in locations to suit the model:

attachicon.gifDSCF5510.jpg

The wheel treads are more shallow than usual, so the driving axles can be closer together:

attachicon.gifDSCF5522.jpg

Apart from the obvious daylight under the boiler, this model has daylight through the bar frames under the cab:

attachicon.gifDSCF5524.jpg

This is tender drive, but quite unlike the tender drive of years ago. This is fabulous. The tender chassis is rigid (the bogies do not turn) and the mechanism runs as a A-1-1-A. The tender body is a die casting. 

attachicon.gifDSCF5528.jpg

If Rapido are famed for an "insane" level of detail, well Roco have put detail on this loco you can only see when you pick it up and look underneath. Which I forgot to photograph.

Phenomenal running characteristics after mandatory lubrication and two hours of running in. I don't like sound effects much, so this is the plain DC version. Flywheel on the motor but less extreme than (say) the Heljan class 128, so more controllable.

Surely, this model raises the bar for British railway modelling.

- Richard.

attachicon.gifDSCF5516.jpg

Thank you for that.......the usual exquisite Roco quality.Presumably drves via cardan shaft from motor to drivers through cab ? This has odd echoes for me in that the packaging is very similar to SLW's Clas 24.

Yes it is HO but with this quality I can see a few being willing to overlook that.