Heljan 26 cab removal

bigal10

My recently acquired model is the Green with SYP - lights only, no headcodes.

Can anyone advise re: removal of cab interior and light-bars.

I would like to put cab lights in, and also some people, - driver etc. - I hate 'ghost' trains and locos, like many other subscribers.

Having already replaced the (nearly useless) bulbs for decent LEDs, I'm fearful of breaking the light-bars on removing the cab.

Grateful for any help

Alan.

Just pull! There's a little bit of glue holding the parts in but it is fairly straightforward to remove. Might be worth taking a pic so you know where the bits go back in mind...

Any breakages then just contact Howes, they've only come up short once and that was for the Class 15 which Heljan didn't send (m)any spare parts for, but they were still sort of able to help me out with my problem.

The light bars are very fragile. They often leave the actual light lens pips in the body and bar comes away. Hard to make a real mess of it though!? Heljan stuff is generally pretty robust. Remember that lights on green/early blue locos were pathetic! Driver will have to be chopped off at the waist and planted into seat, looks OK. We have someone in both ends of every loco and we have 25 Heljan Type 2s! All sound fitted!. Use Monty's models white metal figures. Secondman and driver figures both very good and doesn't matter which you use, no one will be able to tell. If you get in a mess with the light bars give me a shout I might have a spare one or two? Howes are very good for spares and more are due soon as the original build spec 26s come on stream. 

I find a precision flat screwdriver helps slowly carefully lever the light bar out on its two pips.first one side gently then the other side then back to the first side again.take time with it or you will break the pips off.i cant wait for Heljan to move away from this lighting method.ive broken endless bars and gluing them back together never makes them right again.

On the cab bulkheads sometimes you can find the curved top pary has been glued to the roof.certainly with the class 86.no such problems yet with class 26s.if they are you have to break them out and make a new bulkhead yourself.

Archived