Circular Layouts

hayfield

I've been pondering over your 'Burnfoot' layout, a long time personal favourite of mine but one I don't have space for. Even allowing for short 3' fiddle yards, that would still require a 14' run (the 'scenic' bit being 8' iirc).

However, a 6' outside diameter layout with 1' wide boards would give a running circuit of 15' - say an extended 10' for the scenic bits and a shared 5' fiddle yard/sector plate. I'm sorely tempted to try, although I'd need to get my head around constructing curved baseboards first....

By the way, apologies for drunkenly supplying you with a version of 'Blaydon Races' at Lady Anne Middleton's, York 1984!

Regards, Dave

Dave

I made a baseboard jig out of chipboard and softwood off cuts which worked exceptionally well, though I only made 3 baseboards out of the 8 required. With chop saws being so cheap now, it would be so much easier now to build 

• Like 1

I went to a model railway show a couple years back either around Milton Keynes or at Hatfield, and there was a small circular layout as you entered the gym. The person operating stood in the middle and the fiddle yard was behind him. I think it was set in the late 30's and what made it stand out and get everyone's attention was the winding round that went round the layout that had a moving van.

Hi Dave

The Lady Anne Middleton Hotel - a blast from the past indeed. I too remember saying 'rude' things to a well known wagon modeller at that hotel. Terry Onslow (remember him) and I were a little worse for wear that year and I havn't touched a drop since and that is the truth. Looking forward to exhibiting at Stafford soon ('Fisherrow Yard') and the new train set has its first outing at Biggleswade in February. It looks quite like 'Burnfoot' but in S7

• Like 2

Hi Dave

The Lady Anne Middleton Hotel - a blast from the past indeed. I too remember saying 'rude' things to a well known wagon modeller at that hotel. Terry Onslow (remember him) and I were a little worse for wear that year and I havn't touched a drop since and that is the truth. Looking forward to exhibiting at Stafford soon ('Fisherrow Yard') and the new train set has its first outing at Biggleswade in February. It looks quite like 'Burnfoot' but in S7

I have stayed there twice, the first time was a present from the in-laws to have a weekend break away and they looked after our daughter who was a baby at the time, Must have been 1981 it was in February and British Rail Your were having their Christmas party!! BR was always late in those days. Trip included all rail fairs and a taxi to and from the hotel.

Back to circular layouts.  I too made a full size jig in order to construct the curved baseboards. Even when constructing regular size baseboards, I have an adjustable jig in order to ensure they remain square. It is so easy to build in faults to a baseboard which rarely can be rectified afterwards. I also utilise birch plywood nowadays having sourced an excellent timber merchant in rustic Norfolk. Good old EMGS pattern makers dowels allow correct alignment coupled with a 6mm bolt and wing nut to bring the baseboards together. Has worked for forty years..............................................

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been pondering over your 'Burnfoot' layout, a long time personal favourite of mine but one I don't have space for. Even allowing for short 3' fiddle yards, that would still require a 14' run (the 'scenic' bit being 8' iirc).

However, a 6' outside diameter layout with 1' wide boards would give a running circuit of 15' - say an extended 10' for the scenic bits and a shared 5' fiddle yard/sector plate. I'm sorely tempted to try, although I'd need to get my head around constructing curved baseboards first....

By the way, apologies for drunkenly supplying you with a version of 'Blaydon Races' at Lady Anne Middleton's, York 1984!

Regards, Dave

Make the boards 18" deep and you could have the fiddle yard on the inside behind a backscene freeing up all but 1ft of the circumference to be scenic.

The clever bit would be rrotating the layout so we can watch the engine as the scenery goes past...

It has been done before - on a small N gauge layout I think - some years back, although I have no idea what it was called.  I vaguely recall the board was cut into quarters and each quarter was a different season.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Was that the year we bought bird calls from Banks's music shop opposite the Assembly Rooms? You had a duck and I had a nightingale if I recall correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has been done before - on a small N gauge layout I think - some years back, although I have no idea what it was called.  I vaguely recall the board was cut into quarters and each quarter was a different season.

Ty-Morau, which apparently translates as 'The Seasons'.

Railway Modeller 1997 January page 20 & follow up article November page 524.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2014 at 00:43, Dave47549 said:

Hi Ian,

’84 was my only visit ‘behind the barriers’ at York, as one of the operators on Derek Lane’s ‘Stuarts Lane’ (‘50s Carlisle area mpd, was in RM Oct/Nov 81?), I drifted away from the Quinborne club & exhibitions not long after. We were short on operators, so I only managed a 20 minute scoot around the two halls on the Saturday. I think you were there with Burnfoot, but I’d spent ages salivating over it at Warley (‘82/3?) kept going back for another look whenever I had a break, it was the first layout that I had seen BR blue portrayed as a secondary line in such a way as to connect with me.

That Friday night was an eye-opener, My friend & I helped set up, checked in at the LAM, had a quick spotting session at York & a few beers, then decided on an early night. We then found the LAM bar & spent the next  4 hours or so in there. A vague memory says someone performed an acoustic set including one about the Humber Bridge? Drunken logic stated that Burnfoot was set in the North East, therefore you were from there – hence the rework of Blaydon Races. Maybe I was the one who should have gone teetotal afterwards…

I’d not long turned 18 & spent Saturday operating whilst nursing a massive hangover! (a feat repeated on the Monday after the Sunday Coach trip to the NYMR, where we eschewed the evening’s awards event in favour of a Malton pub crawl). Somehow, most of the funds  I had taken for modelling purchases ended up being spent at various bars instead.  I think quite a few of us had bad heads on Saturday though, due to a certain Woody Allen film screened on the box & a ‘scheme’ going on where keys were being collected at set intervals, leaving the bar frequently unattended….

Sadly, it’s unlikely I’ll make Stafford this year, but I hope to catch the new ‘Burnfootesque’ set soon.

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with circular layouts, so I’d best shut up now!

The acoustic set with Humber Bridge probably Sung by Roger Ellis, still a York regular.

• Agree 1

One of the first circular layouts I remember was probably at the Central Hall in about 1962 or 63. It was built by the Southend MRC. That stuck in my mind as being different.

Fast forward to this year (2019), we had a nice US circular layout at the Folkestone exhibition, and an east Anglian branch line that was almost circular but was end-to-end, P4 as well with a brewery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the 3mm Ballyconnell Road is one of the best circular layouts I have seen across the years. Saw it at the mid-Essex show some years back but it’s been in the MRJ in recent times. 

Izzy