Black and White Layout

fender

I'm not proposing to do this (well, no time soon anyway!) but has anyone ever made a layout in black and white?

this is a loony idea I know, but surely someone somewhere has done this. everything in shades of grey, no colour, to match our photographic record of the period?

ever been tried? could be an idea for a comedy diorama or something. :)

• RMweb Premium

It's an interesting concept. Years ago I thought of doing a WW2 armour diorama in monochrome, based on a photo, but never got a round tuit. I have wondered whether  anybody had done a monochrome layout. How about sepia for an Victorian/Edwardian scene? That might be harder to get consistent.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Up until about 20 years ago, perhaps less, all layouts were depicted in the model magazines in B&W.

I'll get my coat.

:jester:

So for those in black and white - the red engine is the one behind the green engine...!

Phil

Oddly enough I took some video footage of my friends layout on my camera and it looked very realistic, several non enthusiasts said it looked just like the real thing when I showed them,. why|?

It was a train passing a grey goods shed, with a light grey wall behind, a dark grey platform in the foreground and 30 grey wagons and greybrake van hauled by a black Wrenn 8F, the speed was a scale 20 mph, though most "Enthusiasts," would have estimated it as 50 mph and it was undoubtedly the lack of colour and the similarity to 50s black and white newsreels which lost the grey smoke against the blue sky which caused it to look "Right"

I am sure a black and white layout with greens etc represented by appropriate greys would look realistic to those of us used to seeing black and white newsreels and photos of bygone scenes.

Archived