Abandoned Wagons, coaches and rolling stock

18B

There was for many a long year. in the yard at St Helens Shaw St an ex Midland Railway (Midland not LMS) box van of a ridiculous old vintage. Might have it on a pic somewhere. I think it eventually got cut up.

There was also some very old freight stock ( can't remember details) in the old BICC sidings at Prescot. Still there in the mid 80's for sure.

Len

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/03/2015 at 07:22, uax6 said:

Chesterton Junction yard is being cleared in preperation for the Science Park station to be built, the old Hopper I mentioned earlier in the thread has been uncovered, and is presumably due to be cut up on the spot. Also uncovered is the skeletal remains of some sort of long wheelbase van. Sorry no photos, I didn't have my camera with me..

Andy G

I believe the hopper would have been DB419221 ZDV.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2014 at 18:34, Fat Controller said:

I couldn't see any Cartics in the line of stock on the very heavily overgrown siding at the western end of Ripple Lane yard.  As far as I can identify, from the western end the wagons are:-

BR brakevan

3 x Grampus

Carflat ? with floor missing

LMS brakevan with floor and sides missing

3 SR Van B

2 brakevans (burnt-out)

3 BR Ferry vans

VDA

Burnt out brake van

VDA

The wagons on the two roads behind still seem to be serviceable- Megafrets and ferryvans.

I can't help but think they've over done the 'burnt-out brake van cliché..

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH3#Y3A9NTEuNTM0NjY1fjAuMTMzOTc4Jmx2bD0xNCZzdHk9ciZlbz0wJnE9RGFnZW5oYW0lMjUyMERvY2s=

should take you to the site.

Bit of a late reply, but I believe the following were present in 2003 according to TOPS:

KDC200431 ZRA

201075 VDA

KDB745109 YRW

KDB786905 ZRX

KDB786918 ZRX

DB786922 ZSX

ADB901152 YRP

LDB954794 ZTR

B954966 CAR

ADB977077 QRV (IU 083524, S396S)

ADB977111 QRV (S222S)

ADB977112 QRV (S248S)

DB985813 ZBV

DB988581 ZBV

DB990553 ZBV 

SILC90432 PJA

SILC90433 PJA

SILC90434 PJA

SILC90435 PJA

SILC90484 PJA

SILC90485 PJA

SILC90486 PJA

SILC90487 PJA 

DM731127 ZPP

KDM732433 ZPP 

DS55545 ZTP

• Like 1

There were a comic and autic in Small heath yard, which had been there for over 20 years. The comtic was closer to 25 years, its centre articulation was missing. They belonged to GERail Services, but never got moved over to Touax when the sale went through, so if they are still there they dont belong to anyone anymore.

• Like 1

Don't think the thread title bans foreign stock, so here is a brake van I saw in Nigeria in 2009 on the sidings leading to Ewekoro cement works.  No idea how long it had been there, quick look on Google Earth shows it is still there (at least in February this year).

IMG_0238.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Don't think the thread title bans foreign stock, so here is a brake van I saw in Nigeria in 2009 on the sidings leading to Ewekoro cement works.  No idea how long it had been there, quick look on Google Earth shows it is still there (at least in February this year).

IMG_0238.JPG

Quite likely British built.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Unfortunately that link doesn't  seem to work for me.  The interesting thing for me is that my father worked in Nigeria from 1938 to 47 and did a lot of train travel from landing in Lagos to where he worked in Eastern Nigeria.

Jamie

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite likely British built.

The vehicle nearest the camera appears to be to the same design as that shown on p68 of 'Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company: A Century of Achievement' ( Hyper, Wheeler & Wheeler, 1995), a bogie goods brake van built for the Nigerian Railway Corporation in 1960.  A quick trawl of the internet reveals a works photo of a similar wagon supplied by Gloucester.

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1