MOD Ernesettle

NXEA!

Gents, I'm curious about MOD Ernesettle on the River Tamar. What sort of materials do they transport out of there by rail? I realise rail movements only leave once a year or so, but there's only a couple of current photos of the working existing. Can anybody point me to photos of Ernesettle sidings, and as to where along the Gunnislake branch the sidings are and if they're next to the Network Rail line? Thanks in advance!

I'd not seen it on Bing before..

The facility was built to allow ships to be resupplied with ammunition whilst moored in Plymouth Sound, removing the need for munitions to be handled within Devonport. If you look at the site, there is a jetty at the end nearer to the sea- this received and despatched ammunition via a narrow-gauge railway which passed under the L&SWR line, before serving the various ammunition bunkers, and transhipment facilities with the standard-gauge sidings. There was a similar facility (Bedenham) serving Portsmouth, and I believe also at Rosyth.

I'd not seen it on Bing before..

The facility was built to allow ships to be resupplied with ammunition whilst moored in Plymouth Sound, removing the need for munitions to be handled within Devonport. If you look at the site, there is a jetty at the end nearer to the sea- this received and despatched ammunition via a narrow-gauge railway which passed under the L&SWR line, before serving the various ammunition bunkers, and transhipment facilities with the standard-gauge sidings. There was a similar facility (Bedenham) serving Portsmouth, and I believe also at Rosyth.

Hello.

RNAD Crombie served Rosyth Dockyard. As you say, allowed ships moored offshore - or at the end of a long pier - to resupply with ammunition away from the naval base itself. Learned at a young age that when the ships had red flags flying you kept your distance ...

David.

There is a photo in the 'Railways of Devon' thread of a train heading for Ernsettle. It consists of an 08, some vans (presumably with ammo in), an open (barrier?), a brakevan and then at the end a blue/grey BSK. What was the purpose of the BSK? Was it troops gaurding the train? Either way would make an interesting train to model

• RMweb Gold

Here's a couple of onboard shots taken from the window of an (high speed!) FGW Class 150 on a Gunnislake-Plymouth service last September showing part of RNAD Ernesettle.

post-7584-0-46533500-1390037855_thumb.jpg

post-7584-0-38007900-1390037926_thumb.jpg

Also if you look to your left when approaching the toll booths of the Tamar Bridge you'll also see a cutting in the hillside with a large blue door.

My proposed NG project for something based around RNAD Trecwn has been put on hold for the time being.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the information, photos and Bing! links chaps, keep it coming! AFAIK the connection to NR metals still exists. 

It does indeed.

Us bods down here are still required to maintain it although it sees little if any use from one year to the next.

Archived