Major engineering works between Taunton and Exeter

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if the lens has had an impact but in both of those Relief-to-Main and Main-to-Relief turnouts the transition looks wrong with what comes over as too much reverse curvature.  Do they look better on the ground because otherwise they look like good sites for future side-cutting by flanges and lubricators to be added within months.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if the lens has had an impact but in both of those Relief-to-Main and Main-to-Relief turnouts the transition looks wrong with what comes over as too much reverse curvature.  Do they look better on the ground because otherwise they look like good sites for future side-cutting by flanges and lubricators to be added within months.

I suspect it is my over-indulgence in arty-farty telephone shots, Mike. The geometry of these points exactly matches like-for-like what was there before, and I don't recall lubricators being present previously. I can make some discreet checks, though...

• RMweb Gold

Just a few more photos from today. After a quick visit to the very wet Sea Wall at Dawlish, I went up to Whiteball for a meeting, where the concrete mixer wagon was taking on one of it's final loads:

post-57-0-71699200-1391461214.jpg

I then drove down to Tiverton Junction, and spotted this old sign at the entrance to the former Down side car park (the station has been closed for over 27 years!):

post-57-0-64438800-1391461276.jpg

I then went to this rather nice gently humped-backed over bridge to the south of the relaying site:

post-57-0-81302100-1391461305.jpg

...and took a few snaps of the final stages of the S&C relaying site, in this instance, the points controlling the entrance to the Up Loop and the exit from the Down Loop:

post-57-0-40876800-1391461356.jpg

post-57-0-69781700-1391461365.jpg

post-57-0-75194400-1391461374.jpg

post-57-0-35696000-1391461384.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Although slightly 'off topic' (or rather 'off area'):

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Repairs-halted-Dawlish-railway-line-sea-wall/story-20558385-detail/story.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26044323

Homes have been evacuated behind the line with damage being caused by the sea and flying debris and high tide is still an hour away.

It's just been reported on our local radio that there are rails hanging in mid air after a large section of the sea wall has been washed away.

Damage has been caused to the downside platform and railings.

The rail line webcam is down.

We've got another storm coming within the next 24 hours.

Our thoughts should be with the good Cap'n who will most certainly be having his work cut out this morning.

• RMweb Gold

I've only just caught up with this thread although I was aware of the works as they have led to a few cancelled SWT services between Exeter and Salisbury (and perhaps also some shortened formations).

Generally very sensible that as much work programmed into the blockade as possible while the tunnel was going to be worked on anyway. That sort of approach could have avoided a lot of disruption on WCML over the years.

Still, very limiting to have only a 2-hourly FGW service to Exeter and points west thereof. I think that before balkanisation of the railways we would have seen the Waterloo service limited to Yeovil Jct and more Paddington services run. It would certainly be a lot easier if Salisbury-Exeter had not been singled. Has that really saved money when looking at the extra costs incurred by a project such as this?

Still, very limiting to have only a 2-hourly FGW service to Exeter and points west thereof. I think that before balkanisation of the railways we would have seen the Waterloo service limited to Yeovil Jct and more Paddington services run. It would certainly be a lot easier if Salisbury-Exeter had not been singled. Has that really saved money when looking at the extra costs incurred by a project such as this?

Well it isn't really single line; there's a section of double track between Yeovil Junction and just shy of Templecombe and loops at Tisbury, Axminster, Chard Junction and Honiton; this provides the most frequent (and by and large, the fastest) service this route has ever had operated with what are, indisputably, the most reliable trains the route has ever had courtesy of NSE and South West Trains. I'm not certain what the Southern did but the last decade is the only period since at least the second world war that Yeovil and points east have had hourly London trains.

All this without the costs of maintaining double track for nearly forty years because the level of service and demand (from an operating department point of view) didn't actually warrant it. The extra costs from a few weeks' blockade and diversions which happen for flooding on the Langport cut off and occasional engineering diversions are marginal in comparison; the railway as it is seems to cope remarkably well.

Why should the Western get priority anyway? ;)

Adam

PS - thank you to CK for the pictures and all best for the work here and at Dawlish.

EDIT - PPS; presumably the frequency west of Exeter - until the weather intervened - was maintained with a change at St Davids? I know which station I'd rather change at and, despite being a Yeovilian, it ain't the Junction!

• RMweb Gold

Why should the Western get priority anyway? ;)

Er, because we are The Western!! ;)  :D

EDIT - PPS; presumably the frequency west of Exeter - until the weather intervened - was maintained with a change at St Davids? I know which station I'd rather change at and, despite being a Yeovilian, it ain't the Junction!

Yes, an almost full service was running west of Exeter until earlier in the week...

• RMweb Premium

I'm only guessing but this was all finished on time?

Are all the trains still stuck there though?

In the Dawlish thread CK said that the works were handed back 3 hours earlier that hoped for, a fantastic outcome given the weather conditions and multiple areas with lots of problems elsewhere. 

• RMweb Gold

CK said on the Dawlish thread that the railway was handed back early and trains are running betwwen Exeter and Paddington again, although there is a speed restriction on the Somerst levels.

SS

In fact, the speed restriction on the Althelney line (which would have been due to no or limited signalling) did not materialise, as we opened with normal line speeds and full signalling on Monday morning (ie. yesterday).

• RMweb Gold

My final set of photos from the Whiteball blockade were taken on Sunday, when I visited the plain line relaying site at Hele & Bradninch. The site had long been completed, and I chatted to the level crossing attendant for a while as we waited for the second run of the route proving loco from Taunton to Exeter and back to come through. The relay was of the Down line, and went right through the level crossing, which had been closed to road traffic for the duration:

post-57-0-67367100-1392150066.jpg

post-57-0-52111700-1392150077.jpg

post-57-0-94974100-1392150087.jpg

post-57-0-28287400-1392150097.jpg

post-57-0-37648400-1392150108.jpg

post-57-0-37947800-1392150118.jpg

post-57-0-06850800-1392150130.jpg

post-57-0-70307100-1392150140.jpg

post-57-0-59930800-1392150150.jpg

post-57-0-51656100-1392150160.jpg

The running of the loco successfully 'polished the rail heads' and ensured that the start of service the following morning went smoothly.

• RMweb Premium

Im amazed that goods shed is still standing!!

Must have been passed it hundreds of times on trains over the years and I didn't know there was one there. Mind you, at 100 MPH that's probably not very unusual.

Archived