GWR Small Metro in N

"I'll be printing with thin walls and filling all available space with lead shot and tungsten powder."

Hmmm, not sure about the lead shot, do you own a shot gun licence? It's a bit of an extreme way to fill the boiler !!

Memories of Michael Caine ...... " you were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off".

On a serious note, a very impressive piece of work.

• 3 months later...

My summer of manic work has now subsided and I've got some time to get back to modelling.  A few things to show this time.

Wheels, I've shown the SLA printed wheel centres in turned types before (the yellow ones).  The centres are printed on my B9 and the tyres turned on a lathe.  The tyres here are brass because I had some to hand.  Obviously I will remake these in steel or nickel silver for the finished item.  Alongside this is an SLS steel wheel from shapeways, which I printed with additional 'meat' around the tyre and then turned down to give the tread and flange profile.

post-7500-0-78730600-1412861882_thumb.jpg

The SLA is clearly a neater finished product than the rough SLS surface but there is the added complexity of getting the tyre and axle concentric when the different parts are assembled.  The spokes are noticably thinner (although I wonder how much this will show when painted black and against the underframe of a loco.

I expected the SLS parts to look rubbish - I only printed them because I could add them to another print I was doing at the same time.  However, I think that they are pretty good.  A bit rough but not too bad at all.  They are significantly quicker to make and work out at about £1/wheel (excluding my time to turn the profile onto them).

I'm going to make the metro up with both sets to see which look best and which work best.

post-7500-0-29959500-1412861819_thumb.jpg

post-7500-0-95965800-1412861851_thumb.jpg

I've also made some small progress with the metro chassis mock-up.  I've added the tiny H section to one of the wheel mounts and fitted the sliding hornblock.  This arrangement seems to work very well.  The hornblock is free to slide vertically by about 1mm but is retained in the other directions to within about 0.05 to 0.1mm.  I think that I'll try making the chassis with fixed axle holes and sprung suspension - I'm keen to see how much difference it actually makes

• 1 month later...

Archived