Article on Etching Artwork

OK, I did it anyway! Here we go...

Step 1.

post-2065-0-60969900-1390397330_thumb.jpg

In ACad, click on 'Attach' under the 'insert' tab. Select your drawing and click ok to insert, dont worry about the position or scales factor now, just select 'ok' for all the options.

Step 2.

post-2065-0-24910700-1390397331_thumb.jpg

Fade the picture by dragging the fade button under the 'picture' tab (which appears once the picture is selected). I normally go for around 80% which helps to make the lines more visable. 

Step 3.

post-2065-0-79336600-1390397331.jpg

Draw some basic lines over a known dimension on the drawing and measure the distance. In this case the wheelbase was 76.5783mm. As I wanted to scale to 2mm:1ft and the wheelbase is 11ft6" I need to scale to 23mm. Therefore 23mm/76.5783mm = 0.3mm.

Step 4.

post-2065-0-23077000-1390397332_thumb.jpg

Click on the scale button, it will then ask to 'select items to scale'

Step 5.

post-2065-0-79990000-1390397332_thumb.jpg

Click and drag a box over the whole drawing with the left mouse button. Move from right to left as this will select everything. Once selected click ok (or hit return) to select then click on an origin for the scale (this could be anywhere but I usually click a corner of the drawing), then enter 0.3 as the scale factor.

Step 6.

post-2065-0-43918900-1390397333_thumb.jpg

And there you go! You should now have a scaled drawing ready for tracing the bits you need.

Missy :)

The way I do it is to import the scale drawing into ACad, scale it to the scale I need, then draw over the top of it.

I can show you with some screen grabs if you need?

M.

At last! Thank you thank you thank you thank you :locomotive: :sungum:

I've got AutoCAD 2005, so hopefully the principle will work there.

That was an enjoyable lesson - I hope there are others to follow - "pattern making" ?

One day I promise to learn TurboCAD but my copy keeps failing to activate.

Kenton

I have a feeling at the back of my mind that etchers now don't accept TurboCAD files. Certainly PPD don't. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. I don't think TurboCAD saves files in the .DWG extension. 

Mike

(Hard hat on and waiting to be shot down in flames)

I had a similar problem with CorelDRAW 12, but Mike G. solved the problem by lending me AutoCAD 2005 so that I could have a go at this CAD thing at last......

Interestingly (or not, perhaps), I use CorelDraw for scaling dimensions from photographs, in a similar way to that posted by Julia, above.  I import a bitmap, preferably taken square-on to the subject, and use known dimensions to scale the unknown ones.  It's not totally foolproof, but I have achieved accuracy of within 0.5mm of the scale dimension of a wagon wheelbase in 4mm scale, so it's pretty effective.

Right....errm....got as far as Missy's Step 1...think I have a slight problem imitating Step 2 onwards, as AutoCAD2005 doesn't have the same layout / functions as her more-up-to-date version....... :paint:

That fade thing has got to be in there somewhere.....

*scratches head*

post-6879-0-48422600-1390522018_thumb.jpg

Right....errm....got as far as Missy's Step 1...think I have a slight problem imitating Step 2 onwards, as AutoCAD2005 doesn't have the same layout / functions as her more-up-to-date version....... :paint:

That fade thing has got to be in there somewhere.....

*scratches head*

Hi.

Try this then...

post-2065-0-07601500-1390548567_thumb.jpg

Type 'IMAGEADJUST' into the command line, and hit return. Select the picture then hit return again, you should then get this box...

post-2065-0-72276900-1390548924.jpg

...where you can adjust the level of fade of the image.

M. :)

• 1 year later...

Kenton

I have a feeling at the back of my mind that etchers now don't accept TurboCAD files. Certainly PPD don't. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am. I don't think TurboCAD saves files in the .DWG extension. 

Mike

(Hard hat on and waiting to be shot down in flames)

YES IT DOES. It's how I'm getting from TurboCAD Pro 12 to sheets of brass via PPD at present. They seem to have had an "upgrade" recently where they can't now handle DXFs over about 50Mb in file size, which isn't an awful lot of drawing! (DXFs are ridiculously bulky files, so are PDFs). Modern software is so cumbersome, god bless my ancient TurboCAD! 

Archived