GWR County Tank

While waiting for bits in the mail and paint to dry on North Star, I might as well start the County Tank build. Will make the most use possible of an Airfix loco body and the Dapol kit paired with a Hornby County chassis and finished off with Gibson bogie and trailing wheels.  

post-12040-0-95789500-1390144748.jpg

post-12040-0-96730700-1390144784_thumb.jpg

The late versions of the De Glenns looked very elegant machines, years ago I had most of the Kayser or Nu-cast engines but never one of those.

The ex-Wills "de Glehn" components are still available via South Eastern Finecast, but I think 102 "La France" was subtly different from 103 "President" and 104 "Alliance". They all got Standard no.1 boilers in the end.

I think the late Guy Williams scratchbuilt one for Pendon.

• RMweb Gold

Hej Stefan, this is moving nicely along. You really have an eye for capturing shape and form, I think. It will be interesting to see how the 38xx chassis performs in this configuration. Will there be extra pick-up from the bogie and trailing wheels?

Tjenare Mikkel,

The technical bits are not really my thing but I will make an attempt to hook up the trailing wheel. When I tested the 38xx before butchering, it was really smooth and running nicely so the effort will be made.

Regards,

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I really should get the chassis done, but the technical/electrical part of the hobby, is the part I enjoy the least so It might take a while before I can force myself to do it. Pictures of the 2-2-2 and North Star should show up this week though. 

Regards,

Stefan

Dont worry mate you'll get there, there's no rush sometimes it dose you good to go off in another direction and come back to a project fresh again. It's a surprise what more you'll get done that way than if you tried to force you self to finnish it in one go.

Indeed, It works for me to have a few (many?) projects going, since I know I will get stuck on, at least, one for whatever reason. Round and round it goes, but I will get there in the end (I hope)

Regards,

Stefan

• 4 weeks later...

While paint is drying on the 2-2-2, I sorted the current collection from the rear axle with one (half) of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321315214753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The front bogie is held in place with a screw, since I'm not to keen on the way Hornby does it (for cosmetic reasons)

post-12040-0-60293200-1395427482_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-95717000-1395427507_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-62504500-1395427540_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-34406400-1395427585_thumb.jpg

I've really had enough of these posts, Stefan - they are driving me mad!!

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find new superlatives to praise your conversions? Simply ticking a box that says "Like" or "Craftsmanship/Clever" just doesn't cut it really - they are all ... err... hang on.... (looks in dictionary) ... Masterful? Eclipsing? Kick-Ass?

Whatever.

Really, really, good :) 

• RMweb Premium

Now that I've got a spare County, I might have a go at this conversion myself someday. I'll let you finish yours first, I've plenty to do right now.

Keep it up, it's looking so far.

Archived