Class 128 sound

Doughnut

• RMweb Premium

Leyland tiger wasnt an engine it was a bus, the engine the leyland tiger had and what was fitted to the 128s was the leyland TL11 but im assuming on the bus it was turbo charged.

The 'T' in TL11 indicates that it was fitted with a turbocharger. The L of course stood for Leyland which in itself is a bit of a misnomer as the engine was derived from the AEC AV/AH690 or AV/AH760.

Ordered yesterday, arrived today & fitted. I made a small "box" over the carden shaft at one end and sat the Sugar Cube speaker (10 x 15 x 9) on it. I find it gives it extra resonance. The only issue I want to highlight is that the cab lights no longer operate. Is there a "fix" to this?

Also your enclosed sheet (dated 4th Nov 14) is a different set of 'F' codes. I have noted the one above however which correlates to the decoder supplied.

Very pleased with the outcome though apart from a few minor niggles in jerky performance around speed 15 - 20 (on 128 steps).

I'll have to check out the CV for getting this more smooth.

The sound is excellent, nice and "raspy" (I increased CV 266 to 120).

Great job. If you can advise on the above niggles I'd be grateful.

Best wishes,

Bob 

The 'T' in TL11 indicates that it was fitted with a turbocharger. The L of course stood for Leyland which in itself is a bit of a misnomer as the engine was derived from the AEC AV/AH690 or AV/AH760.

The TL11 engine was a development of the Leyland 0.680 as fitted to Leyland Leopards, Atlantians, some Bristol VRTs, etc. The AEC engine was developed into the TL12.

Tubrochaged Longitudinal 11 liters, the .680 is the capcity in cubic inches that works out to just over 11 Liters.

Ordered yesterday, arrived today & fitted. I made a small "box" over the carden shaft at one end and sat the Sugar Cube speaker (10 x 15 x 9) on it. I find it gives it extra resonance. The only issue I want to highlight is that the cab lights no longer operate. Is there a "fix" to this?

Also your enclosed sheet (dated 4th Nov 14) is a different set of 'F' codes. I have noted the one above however which correlates to the decoder supplied.

Very pleased with the outcome though apart from a few minor niggles in jerky performance around speed 15 - 20 (on 128 steps).

I'll have to check out the CV for getting this more smooth.

The sound is excellent, nice and "raspy" (I increased CV 266 to 120).

Great job. If you can advise on the above niggles I'd be grateful.

Best wishes,

Bob 

Bob.

I assume this is addressed to me?

Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad you like the sounds.

Although it might seem otherwise, I am not Digitrains and Digitrains ZIMO sound projects are not mine exclusively. I supply them with sound projects, but I'm not their only supplier. Similarly, I supply (different, exclusive) sound projects to NGTrains and RAIL EXCLUSIVE.

The list of F key assignments above is from the earlier version. The new DMU project features the ability to switch (with F5) between sounds of a heavy and a lightly loaded unit.

The 'light' option has a much shorter duration before the first gear change happens and the inerta is automatically reduced so that the model will accelerate more spritely than when 'heavy' is selected.

If you have a print out from Digitrains which explains how to use this new feature, but the decoder does not operate in the way I have described here, it would appear that you have the older version loaded. The same engine sounds and raspy exhaust feature in both versions of the project.

I've PM'd you.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, In relation to my enquiry regarding the Class 128 sound project.

I'm indebted to Paul Chetter (pauliebanger) for his help in sorting out one or two niggles I had with the sound project on a Zimo 644M purchased from Digitrains.

This was after seeing the excellent article in a recent Hornby Magazine and deciding to give it a whirl!

The problem at first was that I realised the sounds themselves didn't match the documentation which came with the decoder and I had some erratic responses. This was, at first, confusing. I wrote a note on the forum asking for advice and Paul kindly responded to me directly. The result was a return of the decoder to Digitrains and Paul rewrote the sound file with an upgrade to, I think, V.4 I am now wholly satisfied with the sound and ultimate performance. It is quite satisfying.

In conclusion I feel I must publicly congratulate both Jeremy at Digitrains, and Paul Chetter, for their understanding of the issues I raised and the excellent way in which my concerns were handled. This was a first class service, and true modeller to modeller assistance. Thank you both, very much.

Archived