Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

I don't think this model has its own topic yet.

I see the first off Engineering Prototypes have now arrived at Barwell

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=160&vis=2

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/fp_images/large/E4EP_front.jpg

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/fp_images/large/E4EP_back.jpg

It's looking good but dare I point out what looks like moulded smokebox door dart handles....

Edit: see confirmation from Bachmann in post 25 below that they will be separately applied items, great news!

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think this model has its own topic yet.

I see the first off Engineering Prototypes have now arrived at Barwell

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=160&vis=2

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/fp_images/large/E4EP_front.jpg

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/fp_images/large/E4EP_back.jpg

It's looking good but dare I point out what looks like moulded smokebox door darts....

At first glance it does look like it's moulded, but I think it's separate. It's coming along quite quickly too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it is detail you are interested in, have a look at those protective bars over the rear spectacles above the tender! I am not sure how they do it, but they are the most detailed I have seen in a r-t-r model. Quite outstanding.

John

Looks nice.  Mines pre-ordered (fingers crossed).  Just need a C2X now.

Seriously it looks very nice.  It has the token holder on the cab side that often held a coal pick.  Adding one would make a nice touch.  If the smokebox dart is moulded it is an easy one to change.

I shall almost certainly be ordering the LBSC version and perhaps the Southern one as well. I'm just delighted subjects like these are being tackled.

(I was only able to view the first image. The second and third came up with error messages for me.)

Edited by Anglian

It's Bachmann so they can get away with moulded on detail. If Hornby did it then a large chunk of RMWeb would be foaming at the mouth about 'design clever'. 

It looks like a pretty good model. Are they doing the original smokebox or just the extended version? If the latter then the LBSC liveried model of 479 will presumably be in it's current preserved condition.

Thanks for drawing attention to this development

Generally looks Good.

Difficult to tell about the smokebox handles, the pics are too low res. This is NOT an indication that Bachmann can get away with moulded darts, merely an indication that the eye cannot discern the info from a small pic. In the flesh this will be more pronounced either way.

Splashers - yes they look too big and it would be nice if they could be slimmed down.

1) is this not an unfortunate side effect of 00 flange profiles, compounded by plastic thickness, making them oversize. From the photos it seems to be the biggest 'error' on the model, albeit likely a necessary compromise. A real shame.

2) if the C Class is anything to go by, the splashers WILL BE seperate components fitted to the metal running plate. So not too easy to remove. How easy they are to remake and colour match is another matter.

I'm also not toally convinced about the dome shape - the vertical sides look too long, and the rounded top too tight. The straight sides of the dome should transition to the curved top somewhere level with the safety valve cover top. The dome also looks a little on the 'thin' side.

BUT very hard to tell from these photos, especially in all-over grey colour and low res. Need some decent side-on pics.

Damn shame Bachmann didn't release the CADs in the same way that DJM Dave does...

Any chance of some refinement on Splashers and Dome Bachmann??

I don't have any time to do the research and write a letter myself, but past experience has shown me Bachmann are normally receptive to such feedback. anyone want to volunteer?

G-BOAF (as critical of Bachmann as Hornby - as least the oversize splashers have a clear scale-related reason, unlike 71000 smokebox overhang...)

(edit: list formating becomes emoticons - how dare software convert my attempt at crisp communication to some childlike misplaced yellow blob...!)

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium

Well I've just signed up for an LB&SCR umber one. I missed out on the SE&CR lined out green C and suspect this will be just as popular. Looks good to me. Embarking on a pre grouping collection. The E4 joins my Lanky Tank. Now if I only had a Caley 812 0-6-0 or and NBR Glen.........

• Like 1

With such a plethora of added on detail it would indeed be a shame if the darts were moulded on.  I know they are probably the easiest item to replace and match paint, but it would be a retrograde step IMHO.  Perhaps if there's enough protests (when it becomes apparent/definite that they are mouldings) there will be time at this stage to change things.

After all how much extra could it cost to attach these when the lamp irons, handrails. etc., etc., seem to be separate?

• RMweb Premium

Sorry micklner, but much as I would love to see ready access to another LNER class, I just can't see the SR E4 transforming into an LNER N8.

The E4's boiler is too high, and needs more girth to become an N8, the smokebox extends out front, the smoke box saddle is quite different, the water tank doesn't work for an N8, and the cab shape is different. If, however, the E4 chassis is suitable, perhaps this could make a rather good 3D print project?

I don't suppose Bachmann could just take the E4 chassis and put an N8 body above it, because we would soon have complaints that the rivets on the frames were the wrong size, or shape, or in the wrong places, and are sloping when they should be horizontal or vertical. And that is without counting the spokes on the wheels! (Who would be a model railway manufacturer?!)

John

• Like 1

If I may ask a really naive question: I've never pre-ordered before but having had to pay well over the odds for the C-Class are there any particular recommended retailer to pre-order from who don't require payment until the item is due to ship?

Bluebell Shop do not require a deposit (and are obviously custodians of the sole survivor) (should probably say I'm a Bluebell Member so have a vested interest!)

Hatton's don't require a deposit

Rails don't require a deposit

Kernow model rail centre don't require a deposit... the list goes on...

I wonder if it could be converted into a LNER ex NER N8 same driver size and quite similar in looks ...

Oh good, I am not alone in eyeing every new model as a carve up! The alternative body whether resin cast or 3D printed to fit the chassis, as suggested by 'its-er' sounds like a winner to me. Bound to be someone in the P4/EM department wanting to build their own chassis, who will relieve you of the E4 body.

Thanks for drawing attention to this development

Generally looks Good.

Difficult to tell about the smokebox handles, the pics are too low res. This is NOT an indication that Bachmann can get away with moulded darts, merely an indication that the eye cannot discern the info from a small pic. In the flesh this will be more pronounced either way.

Splashers - yes they look too big and it would be nice if they could be slimmed down.

1) is this not an unfortunate side effect of 00 flange profiles, compounded by plastic thickness, making them oversize. From the photos it seems to be the biggest 'error' on the model, albeit likely a necessary compromise. A real shame.

2) if the C Class is anything to go by, the splashers WILL BE seperate components fitted to the metal running plate. So not too easy to remove. How easy they are to remake and colour match is another matter.

I'm also not toally convinced about the dome shape - the vertical sides look too long, and the rounded top too tight. The straight sides of the dome should transition to the curved top somewhere level with the safety valve cover top. The dome also looks a little on the 'thin' side.

BUT very hard to tell from these photos, especially in all-over grey colour and low res. Need some decent side-on pics.

Damn shame Bachmann didn't release the CADs in the same way that DJM Dave does...

Any chance of some refinement on Splashers and Dome Bachmann??

I don't have any time to do the research and write a letter myself, but past experience has shown me Bachmann are normally receptive to such feedback. anyone want to volunteer?

Response from Bachmann

Smokebox handles – separate parts (not moulded)

Splashers – to accommodate OO standards and to make them work on OO scale layouts – the splashers have to be slightly oversize

Dome – in accordance with prototype loco on Bluebell Railway

Trust this reassures potential customers

Dennis Lovett
Public Relations Manager
Bachmann Europe plc
  • Like 5