Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

Mine arrived this morning from Hattons, Ordered the SR version, first impressions very nice, still unsure on the shade of green, but still a nice model, many nice small details, and very weighty to, quite surprised by that, so should pull pretty well.Nice detailing pack, the normal buffer beam detail, and brake rigging, nice touch with SR route discs.to add to.

Ran very well and very smooth straight out the box on the rolling road.
I took it to my local club tonight on our test track which is far from level and flat with perfect track work, I could find no problems with the rear axle, ran well no derailments in 3 - 4 hours forwards and backwards, A very nice model.

17003120952_fb07740716_c.jpg

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 13

Ok, having settled down from my initial annoyance about this rear axle on what is a very good model for all the reasons outlined by others here, I have checked and double checked the B2B on this axle and the loco will still not negotiate a peco 100 long crossing when running backwards. The axle reaches the frog and decides it wants to go `round the corner` which of course it will do because there is no springing arrangement to bias the axle into a straight line. It also `clicks` and jumps at most of my point work on the check rails or frogs. This is exactly the same problem as I have with the 56XX tanks as well. I do not think this arrangement by Bachmann is very intelligent, and I am sure they could have done something better.

I am impressed with it haulage capabilities, it will drag 6 pullmans and observation car up my gradients with no problems, where as normally only a Hornby WC/BB or MN can do it without slipping.

Edited by Jim104

I purchased the BR late crest E4 32500 at Ally Pally. The track on my garden railway is far from perfect after 

a long winter, but this was no problem for the E4,even on point work.

I have also received the SR version this week and that also runs very well ( in both directions ).

My track is very old Peco code 100. So i don't know why some people are having problems with 

the trailing axle.

I do however, have three Hornby Gresley Pacifics, none of which will  stay on the track, I find that 

front bogie very troublesome.

All in all i'll give Bachmann top marks for a very fine product.

Ok, having settled down from my initial annoyance about this rear axle on what is a very good model for all the reasons outlined by others here, I have checked and double checked the B2B on this axle and the loco will still not negotiate a peco 100 long crossing when running backwards. The axle reaches the frog and decides it wants to go `round the corner` which of course it will do because there is no springing arrangement to bias the axle into a straight line. It also `clicks` and jumps at most of my point work on the check rails or frogs. This is exactly the same problem as I have with the 56XX tanks as well. I do not think this arrangement by Bachmann is very intelligent, and I am sure they could have done something better.

I am impressed with it haulage capabilities, it will drag 6 pullmans and observation car up my gradients with no problems, where as normally only a Hornby WC/BB or MN can do it without slipping.

HI Jim 104

I'm sorry to read that you are having problems with your E4.

Although Guildford is about 60 miles from me, you are most welcome to try your E4

on my garden railway ( near Eastbourne). If it derails you have a dodgy loco.

( weather permitting ).

Mine arrived this morning from Hattons, Ordered the SR version, first impressions very nice, still unsure on the shade of green, but still a nice model, many nice small details, and very weighty to, quite surprised by that, so should pull pretty well.Nice detailing pack, the normal buffer beam detail, and brake rigging, nice touch with SR route discs.to add to.

Ran very well and very smooth straight out the box on the rolling road.

I took it to my local club tonight on our test track which is far from level and flat with perfect track work, I could find no problems with the rear axle, ran well no derailments in 3 - 4 hours forwards and backwards, A very nice model.

17003120952_fb07740716_c.jpg

A wonderful picture. Any chance of a 'side on' view to compare Bachmann and Hornby's shade of Olive green?

Disappointing to hear they are not a match, but I suppose from two different manufacturers this should not be a surprise. Although I'm minded to think of Bachmann's interpretation of 'brunswick' green during 2009-10 which was rather loud, before reverting to normal

A wonderful picture. Any chance of a 'side on' view to compare Bachmann and Hornby's shade of Olive green?

Disappointing to hear they are not a match, but I suppose from two different manufacturers this should not be a surprise.

I wouldn't worry too much. From contemporary accounts it seems that the Olive green from the different Southern works didn't match. And that was before it started to fade.

Good ?   Bad  ?    Or just a sign of the times  ?

Rails sent out a newsletter stating that ;

"New Bachmann E4 Locomotives in stock. Bachmann have sold out of all versions of this model. When they are gone they are gone! order now to avoid disappointment."

Now there will be a number at retailers - but that such a mundane (but necessary to myself as a Southern Region Central Division modeller) sells out upon release shows just how tight manufacturers are being nowadays.

A review of the all new Bachmann Class E4, in smart BR Late Lined Black Livery. Designed by Robert Billinton and introduced in 1897, these small but powerful locomotives where built for local passenger, freight and branch work, with all but one surviving in to British Railways Ownership and the last being withdrawn from service in 1964. One member of the class has been preserved.
This model is one of 4 versions being produced by Bachmann, including the as preserved '473' in beautiful Southern Green and Pre-Grouping '579' in superb LBSC Umber Livery. With a very high level of detail, superb finish and the best running I have ever seen from a model fresh out the box most amazing out the box, the Class E4 is a must for any Southern Region or Preserved Era Modeller! 10/10!

Hope you enjoy!  :locomotive:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jcGZSZ4rWg

post-20663-0-35762000-1427985411.png

Its a Bachmann abortion, got my model today, exceptional, but for the rear axle, its the same fitting as the previous GW tank, a loose axle floating around in a square hole in the chassis, it goes where it wants when it wants and has derailed many times when running backwards. All that money that they have rung out of us and the thing does not run properly. exceptionally disappointed with this design clever `feature`. :(

If it is as the 56xx, then you can disable the turning movement very easily, the side play will be sufficient to negotiate curvature. Simply cement to the keeper plate side a small piece of thin plasticard up to one side of the axle, both sides of the chassis. That done it behaved perfectly.

(On the layout where I found the problem occasionally, the trouble spots were truck leading onto a reverse curve into the diverging route on points. Both the formations that occasioned the trouble and this curious mounting on what was once a 56xx chassis have gone now, so I now have nothing to test.)

How's about showing us the underside, how the coupler pockets are mounted and how much play the rear axle has?

I'll try and get some picture if possible when I get some free time, though I'm very busy for the next few days. I always seem to miss thing out when doing reviews :jester:

• RMweb Gold

How's about showing us the underside, how the coupler pockets are mounted and how much play the rear axle has?

The coupling pockets are NEM ones like these - http://www.ehattons.com/11193/Bachmann_Branchline_36_030_Mk2_Couplings_NEM_shaft_straight_with_pocket_x_10/StockDetail.aspx

I've fitted Kadees to mine and the pockets are more or less at the right height.  However, even with a #18, the coupling extends too far past the buffers for my liking.  At some point I may try a #17 but I've never used this very short one before.

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm the numbers on the BR lined black version remove cleanly and easily with a cocktail stick.

Of course having removed the numbers I discovered that on my various part sheets of number transfers I didn't have any correct size '3's so now it is sitting on my workbench with no numbers until the middle of next week!!!  :banghead:

It will be renumbered 32469, a Horsham engine that my Father in Law photographed on the aforementioned shed in the late 1950's:

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

32500 received yesterday, an absolutely exquisite model, superb detail and excellent running straight out of the box. Very well done Bachmann but also thanks and  well done to Hattons- several Emails confirming what was happening with my order,even which member of staff was doing what! Good choice using Royal Mail bless 'em, their tracking system worked perfectly and delivery was bang on time.

i got the unlined black e4 a couple of days ago but have only just been able to run it. it runs fairly well, but is a little grindy. i have had no problems with mines rear wheels derailing, even over tight curves and setback points. annoyingly it doesn't run very well at slow speeds (probably needs oil. what oil do you recommend?) i got some photos:

post-17014-0-70186000-1428081916_thumb.jpg

Have you actually let it run for the time specified in the instructions?

i ran it in for 35 mins in each direction. it runs smoothly, but when you slow it down it is judder. it could be that my controller (a old Hornby DC one). it makes a sort of whistling sound when it runs (not a squeak) and grinding noises.

Edited by thecheesemiester

Note the 'Ashford' smokebox door on the early crest version..

Just goes to show how closely I looked at the thing! I was about to carve up the lined version and change the smokebox door. Thanks...

Does it mention this anywhere in the descriptions of the various types available? 

A number of E4s were overhauled at Ashford, both in SR and BR days, those requiring new 

smokebox doors were fitted with SECR style doors. I am not sure if the smokebox itself was

ever to SECR spec. if it required renewel.

Always consult photo's when modifying your expensive E4,there are many major and minor

differences between various loco's. Bachmann have only produced one type  of boiler and 

there were several types in use, and they got swapped around.

32469 has the Brighton smokebox

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/photograph-32469-e4-class-at-brighton-120100496.htm#pic

As does 32470 

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p878339393/h56bd3bea#h56bd3bea

But Bachmann has done 470 - why not choose another?!

If you need to find images for locos Google search the number. Bound to find something useful

regards

number6

I would like to renumber the engine (and possibly changing the emblem as well), to suit an example of the class that ran on the Midhurst - Pulborough line in the BR era.

32470 might be alright, but 32469 seems to have different safety valve arrangement. Never noticed that before in the photo's I seen before.

Pictures of 32469 working on the line to Midhurst show it with the same cover as 32500's model.

I looking at my photocopy of an article 'Radial Swansong' from Railway Bylines November 2004, and there maybe three alternatives for me based on engines located at Horsham, and Three Bridges.

One could be 32463, which is attractive thought as the real 32463 was the first of the class.

The second is 32468 which was once called 'Midhurst', which would be an attractive idea too.

Another is 32577, which was photographed on the line in 1960.