Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Seeking a little help, please; recently received 32494 (#35-079) and am struggling to workout where the air, steam and vacuum pipes go (six pieces total)...  The paperwork included isn't very clear and doesn't show the back of the locomotive, hence unable to differentiate between sizes.

A shameful 'bump' I'm afraid, having again sifted through Google images and every page of the thread just in-case I'd missed anything!  If there's nothing definitive, would anyone be able to suggest a publication that might be beneficial?

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Perfect, thank you both; two excellent collections.

I just need to workout now whether the taller pipe is at the front or back...

...I'm inclined to think it should be at the back?

I hope this helps. I haven’t attached the pipes at the rear because of the tension lock. You should have a tall and a short pipe at each end. Note that the holes to receive them are a different distance apart and the pegs on the pipes correspond. A dry run should make it obvious which goes where.

post-26289-0-95910500-1512646068.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You should have a tall and a short pipe at each end. Note that the holes to receive them are a different distance apart and the pegs on the pipes correspond. A dry run should make it obvious which goes where.

No Decorum, thank you for taking the time to post; you're spot-on!  In hindsight, looks like I didn't make myself too clear, sorry...  :dontknow:

Looking back at the picture I posted, the pipes third and fourth from the left have pegs equidistant HOWEVER are a different shape with one being slightly taller than the other (the fourth on the left being taller, albeit marginally).  From your picture, I think you've this one on the front?  I found an article from the August'17 issue of Modelling which suggests that to be the case.

Apologies to prolong this...

Aha! I see at last what you mean. Sorry to misunderstand. I think the pictures here

https://locoyard.com/2016/09/04/the-lbscr-e4-class/

show the shorter one to the front. In my ignorance, I think that I stuck the wrong one on the front.

It would make sense. The rear one has nothing to avoid but the front one needs to allow for the swing of the smokebox door.

Thank you for waking me up. I must fix mine.

• Like 1

Apologies for muddying the waters, but I put the pipes on mine yesterday (thank you for the reminder folks!), and in my dry run it did seem that there was a slight difference in the distance between the pegs on the two pipes. The taller pipe going to the front and shorter to the rear fitted into the bufferbeam holes with ease, whereas they'd have had to be persuaded to go the other way around.

• RMweb Gold

Aha! I see at last what you mean. Sorry to misunderstand. I think the pictures here

https://locoyard.com/2016/09/04/the-lbscr-e4-class/

show the shorter one to the front. In my ignorance, I think that I stuck the wrong one on the front.

It would make sense. The rear one has nothing to avoid but the front one needs to allow for the swing of the smokebox door.

Thank you for waking me up. I must fix mine.

No need to apologise!  I would agree this shot suggests the smaller one should be at the front HOWEVER I have embarrassingly just found a post from June'14 showing a sample with the taller one at the front...

...and I've supposedly read this thread twice, shocking! :swoon:

Hopefully this concludes the doubt, but why not include some supporting paperwork in the box?

Many thanks to those who assisted.

Edited by jafcreasey

• 2 months later...

35-075 579 LBSCR E4 in lined brown has now turned into a Hattons bargain. Hattons are selling this for £80 which is less than Ramsays listed price for a good second hand model.

With the popularity of other pre-grouping models like Bachmann's C class and Hornby's H class I am surprised that this model has not sold so well.

Perhaps it is just not selling well at Hattons because this was one of the subjects of Hattons' price guarantee saga in 2015 so perhaps people cancelled their order with Hattons and purchased them elsewhere.

They sold out a long time ago at the Swanage Railway shop where the price including the members' 10% discount was about the same as Hattons original price.

post-17621-0-23711100-1519137352_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-01918000-1519137389_thumb.jpg

35-075 579 LBSCR E4 in lined brown has now turned into a Hattons bargain. Hattons are selling this for £80 which is less than Ramsays listed price for a good second hand model.

Just goes to show how Ramsays guide is often way out of touch with what the market thinks or how its acting. That's not due to the fact that it is in print. Its completely stupid how much it can value something like a Triang engine, or Lima one, yet then understate the value of a DCC fitted engine. Really irks me seeing stall holders treat it like the bible and not offer decent prices, then wonder why the amount of stock they have isn't shifting!

• RMweb Gold

I am certain I bought one of these in a shop rather to the South West of Hatton's - indeed of most of England - a couple of years ago for £69. It was advertised weekly at that price for some time. 

They've been £80 on Hattons for what seems like a couple of years, they do appear at £70 or less around the web too, the only reason I haven't bought one is because I don't *yet* model the LBSCR years and even if I wanted to, RTR options are very, VERY limited, and my painting skills are definitely not up to scratch to match the finish of RTR products so any kits I bought to go with it would look pretty naff behind it,  now if someone were to release RTR LBSC carriages for it to pull then I may be tempted by one, but I am largely trying to avoid 'just because' purchases and stick to my theme... for now. 

One of my first memories of a heritage railway is seeing 'Birch Grove' on the Bluebell Railway so I pre-ordered the LBSCR E4 from Hattons after Bachmann had hiked the price. Hattons guaranteed to honour the original price of £76.46 if I pre-ordered it by September 2014. Then Hattons put the price of my pre-order up to £93.46 with the option to cancel. I did not cancel because I thought that the model would be in short supply. After an argument with Hattons they agreed to send it post free but they did not so I paid £93.46 plus £4 postage.

After I ordered the LBSCR E4 Bachmann brought out a model of 'Birch Grove'. Although I wanted this I did not buy it because it was too similar to my E4.

Now I wish I had cancelled my pre-order with Hattons and bought a model of 'Birch Grove' because that is highly sought after whereas my LBSCR E4 is not.

The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing. I have been a regular customer of Hattons since 1965 but since the pre-order saga I have shopped around and only used Hattons when it is the cheapest alternative and I have used my local shop where there is little difference in price.

It is ironic that Hattons cannot now sell their remaining LBSCR E4s for £80 and I wonder how long it will be before they reduce the price to below the original asking price of £76.46.

The only consolation is that the LBSCR E4 runs well and is good value for money compared with Hattons' tank engines which cost £99 each.

• 11 months later...

According to Bradley the following were sent to France in October and November 1917:

470, 481,498,504,506,516,562,563,564,565 and 580.

Of those, it would seem that only 516 was fitted with the I1 type boiler with the extended smoke box as modelled by Bachmann, the rest retained their original short smokeboxes.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi if you have one of these can you share the service sheet as I have acquired one second-hand without the box etc etc. and I need to fit DCC to it. Being an bit of a duffer I can't figure what to unscrew to take it apart. For extra credit has anyone fitted sound without intruding into the cab