Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am completely relaxed about this particular venture. I do not - not even remotely- have any need for one. So I may not be following this thread too closely. But just out of curiosity - nothing more - do we know the decoder requirements?

PB

Interesting question. After all, Hornby continue to provide 8-pin sockets, even in the SR EMUs which might have a need for extra lighting etc. OTOH the last Bachmann steam loco I bought  - the C Class - had a 21-pin socket, which I regard as overkill for a loco on which functions are likely to remain very few if at all. I have yet to buy anything that has a Plux socket, despite that being the declared new standard a while back.

• RMweb Gold

I am completely relaxed about this particular venture. I do not - not even remotely- have any need for one. So I may not be following this thread too closely. But just out of curiosity - nothing more - do we know the decoder requirements?

PB

It has a 6-pin socket according to Hatton's.

• 1 month later...

Latest E4 B473 livery samples on the Warley thread. Looks exquisit EXCEPT for the tank fronts which should be lined green but on the model appear to be plain black. Almost like the Dapol terriers of 15 years ago... Hopefully Bachmann are reading this.

Also the model is missing its Brighton build plates on the splashers, and the brass pots (oil pots) on the smokebox saddle. The latter two can be added by the modeller, but I wouldn't fancy adding the missing paint and lining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having had 473 haul our wedding train back in September (and as a result having one on pre-order) the good lady wife did ask me if I thought the green was a little too dark?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No mention of the E4s that I could see in the latest club magazine, either as 'in production' or due for release over the next few months. Progress on the Birdcages is also disappointing. (Sorry for going off topic

The Bachmann website (updated 1st December) currently shows the E4s as due April/May 2015.

Slightly surprised that no mention was made in the Bachmann Times.

Maybe they were somewhere between "livery samples" and "in production" and were off the radar.

RP

• 1 month later...

... I have yet to buy anything that has a Plux socket, despite that being the declared new standard a while back.

I doubt we ever will in OO. What's the attraction with the large legacy of 6/8/21 pin equipped loco designs out there? I'll bet the retailers would so enjoy having to hold yet larger stocks of more varieties of fitting.

This is the unappreciated reality of standardisation. If a new standard is genuinely to be adopted there has to be a complete refit programme provided for the in-service equipment, so that the new standard quickly and completely displaces the old. As it is PluX isn't a new standard, it's an unnecessary proliferation: it introduces greater diversity and thus a reduction in standardisation; and as far as I can see no perceived benefit over the existing connectors.

Now, show me a decoder with an edge connector, designed to go into a model via a purpose designed slot either in the underside out of sight or behind a clip on panel. No more taking increasingly tricky to handle bodies off; instead click out blanking plate, click in decoder. Now that I would buy into.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
stewartingram, on 20 Jan 2014 - 19:39, said:

Better still, it should be an ex GER 2-4-0, LNER class E4.

Stewart

and then

stewartingram, on 18 Jul 2014 - 20:31, said:

Not really, it's the wrong type of E4....

Stewart

while a year to the day after the first

stewartingram, on 20 Jan 2015 - 14:12, said:

I still think 62785 (or its earlier 490 guise) would have been far better for an E4...

Stewart

Keep going Stewart - someone will listen eventually!

• Like 1

I don't think anyone else has commented on this, but from the underside view Andy took it looks very unlikely that there will be space to get EM or P4 wheels in without major surgery and replacement of the, to me grossly oversize, splashers.

Furthermore I can't recall anyone commenting on the size of the coupling rods, again they are much taller and lack the finesse of the prototype

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I noted this morning another model rail mag has had a sample from Bachmann the slightly adjusted SR B473 model, green looks to of been adjusted, front of tanks now painted and lined, plates now printed on the splashers, I noticed they have missed the lining on the front of the cab..

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10959593_10152703668053207_8762892886798279056_n.jpg?oh=90b8e5adb8953e02e4ab0fa971fcce7c&oe=5556DDAB

• Like 2

LIvery looks great.

Heads up to Bachmann that smokebox sadle still lacks the brass oilpots that seem to be present on earlier samples of other E4s (post #36 of this thread for example). So the correct tooling slides to exist. The preserved B473 should have these items (although pictures seem to suggest it lacked them when first preserved).

The the Brighton works plate on the splasher is a little on the large side...

Also, not totally convinced about the numbering - I think the typeface is a little too thick. See the comparative jpg below, using a photo of B473 taken from a very similar angle in 2013.

What do others think (truthfully, not 'squint your eyes and hope its OK based on what we had 20y ago')? I could live with it but having got so far, shame not to go the final inch...

Also shows the build plate discrpency, and missing oil pot.

post-4226-0-70422900-1423601753.jpg

before I get shot down, this is constructive criticism, turning an excellent model into a superb model.

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium

I am in a similiar boat.  Have two lined black late crests on pre-order and now will have to renumber both rather than just the one to Horsham engines.  32469 (which my Father in Law photographed on Horsham shed on a number of occasions) and 32470 were my plan....

Edited by John M Upton

Very minor observations I won't be changing it either, I doubt they can do much at this late stage if anything to do with their release dates are anything to go by.
Also you missed the front of the cab ;) But depending if this will be a 1920's  / 1930's model and not preserved then it would be correct...

Anyway anyone who where to get some of the Lubrication pots? :)

Very minor observations I won't be changing it either, I doubt they can do much at this late stage if anything to do with their release dates are anything to go by.

Also you missed the front of the cab ;) But depending if this will be a 1920's  / 1930's model and not preserved then it would be correct...

Anyway anyone who where to get some of the Lubrication pots? :)

by cab front you mean the lack of white lining and black edging, no I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out, but then the angle of the photo was not conducive.

Shame about the lubrication pots. As I said, tooled up for the LBSCR version.

So if B473 in service, possibly correct, but not correct for the preserved version...

• RMweb Gold

As I have confirmed in my blog post here http://grahammuz.com/2015/02/15/Bachmann-ex-lbsc-e4-0-6-2t-on-the-way/ having spoke directly to Bachmann yesterday and had the opportunity to view and photograph the E4 close up the Southern Olive Green version No. B473 is modelled in her Era 3 condition as clearly stated in their catalogue, and not therefore totally correct for number 473 as she has been preserved on the Bluebell Railway.