model shop hythe kent

talbotsteve

Bad luck on being stuck in Folkestone for the day. Don't forget to visit the famous Harbour Branch, which is due to be ripped up, or this British port town's port, which is due to be bulldozed and turned into a housing estate for wealthy incomers, all to suit the 'vision' of Roger de Haan and our hard-working elected public servants (pause for laughter). If anyone was wondering what you get for wishing to destroy a British port that survived two world wars and the Third Reich, the answer is a knighthood.

Anyway, rant over. Hythe (Kent) Models is long gone. The only model railway outlet there is a unit in the Malthouse antiques arcade, and that's only open on Friday and Saturday. There's nothing in Folkestone to my knowledge.

The toy shop at the Folkestone end of the High Street sells bits and pieces of Skaledale, and some other modelling bits, as does Pencraft on Cheriton High St (Folkestone end). The RH&DR station has a second-hand bookshop where I've found some useful stuff.

The Light Railway's currently in Winter mode - limited opening and running, mostly at the weekend. See the RHDR website for details. 

• 2 months later...

spent far too much there over the years

Snap on spending far to much here. :) Amongst a lot of other stuff, I bought a lot of his Dapol L/E wagons which included the Kent Collieries.

really nice chap owned it

Yes he was but did you ever meet the guy that owned it before him? Right grumpy so and so he was. :)

Snap on spending far to much here. :) Amongst a lot of other stuff, I bought a lot of his Dapol L/E wagons which included the Kent Collieries.

Yes he was but did you ever meet the guy that owned it before him? Right grumpy so and so he was. :)

Are you sure that wasn't the old fellow who looked after the shop when Steve was having one of his increasingly frequent games of golf?

I remember going to the shop a few times in the late 1908s when my grandparents lived in Hythe. Some people just aren't cut out for customer facing roles.......

1908?....wow, you've got the to be oldest modeller on here! ;)

• 1 year later...

No, I'm going back to the late 80's and early 90's definitely the previous owner. :)

I'm annoyed with myself that I can't recall the name of the original owner. I was a regular customer in the late 1970s and all through the 1980s. He was the grumpiest old so and so imaginable. I went to school with his son (a year older than me) who was equally grumpy. Then of course there was his famous (infamous) "we won't quote prices over the telephone" ruling - really unhelpful for a small boy who lived over a mile away from the shop and was constantly saving up pocket money to buy things! Nonetheless, I'm very sorry the shop has gone - it was a great place.

• RMweb Premium

"Jolly"  George was the old boy who ran Hythe Models, once went in there and bought 2 Mainline 03's that he had actually reduced in price, someone else in the shop also bought something at same time which prompted George to shout to his wife "fetch a bucket of water the tills overheated" One of life's characters was George.

• 4 years later...
On 17/08/2015 at 12:17, Timtherector said:

I'm annoyed with myself that I can't recall the name of the original owner. I was a regular customer in the late 1970s and all through the 1980s. He was the grumpiest old so and so imaginable. I went to school with his son (a year older than me) who was equally grumpy. Then of course there was his famous (infamous) "we won't quote prices over the telephone" ruling - really unhelpful for a small boy who lived over a mile away from the shop and was constantly saving up pocket money to buy things! Nonetheless, I'm very sorry the shop has gone - it was a great place.

SURPRISE!! Hi Timtherector, it's son of the grumpiest old so and so imaginable here (the grumpy one jnr that you refer to).  Bet you weren't expecting that!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I miss this shop. My parents had a caravan down in Dymchurch. A promised visit to the model shop was one of the only way they could tempt to come out with them.  I remember saving up all my winnings from various arcades, it normally amounted to about £200 and then going down to the shop on the last day of the 6 weeks. I bought my first merchant navy from the lovely guy behind the counter. I was sad when I went back and it had shut.

Big James