Peco turntable vs.....

Kallaroonian

I've long been thinking about getting a Heljan turntable but I've been put off by the cost and the slightly less prototypical appearance. But mainly the cost.

In the Feb RM letters page someone commented on the locomotech motorising kit for the Peco turntable. This looks like a good option.

My question is about the load bearing surfaces of the Peco kit. Is it all plastic? I just can't see that being particularly durable.

I also have a concern about the operation of the unit if there is no indexing on the track alignment. I'd be operating it relatively remotely and it might be difficult to see that tracks are aligned?

thks

No real worries about load on the bearing, it isn't going very far and the grease stays put. I must do 20 turns a day when operating, and have had one in service for half a dozen years. It's mostly used on Doncaster pacifics and 9Fs weighing in at 600g + which is about as severe a test as you will find in OO. I have put a load bearing beam underneath the pit however: it is essential that the pit is assembled to be as good a right cylinder as can be achieved, and the pit base could be seen to flex as the locos ran on and off, didn't fancy that for long term reliability. That was with the turntable installed through a hole in the baseboard, supported only by the pit wall top flange. The beam stops the visible flexing.

Mine is magnetically aligned at present, small super something or other magnets on the bridge end and let into the pit wall. They pull and hold the bridge into alignment, there's an audible change in the note of the multistage reduction drive as it happens, and you whip your finger off the 'turn' button. Usually close enough, but I do make a visual check after the turn which won't suit you, and give the small finger poke when occasionally required. (Because I am using it in a 'one through road' configuration, it goes round 180 degrees, always same direction.) I have thoughts of a self-aligning mechanical lock using a tapered pin from the pit wall into a socket on both of the bridge ends, so whichever end presents is engaged. But that's just an idea, not proven.

OTOH, you could just wait for one of the RTR providers to make a UK model. there's bound to be something fairly soon; and there are brass kits available, possibly from Blacksmith Models.

Page on locomotech motorising kit for the Peco turntable.

http://www.goldcoastmodelrailwayclub.com/motorising-a-peco-turntable.html

I have been looking at this option for a while.I like the indexing arrangement.

Now available from Model Railway Developments.

http://www.emardee.org.uk/epages/BT4589.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4589/Categories/Turntable

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have used both without problems but with manual operation so alignment is by eye.

The downside of the Heljan product - unless it has changed in 25 years - is that it is sized for an HO BigBoy US locomotive.  Turning an 060 tender loco looks a little odd.  Even turning a pacific can look as if the table is oversized. 

If you are using it primarily for large locos you will probably get away with it.

I ended up "cutting down" my Heljan one.

Edited for spelling

Archived