3D printing in 5.5mm scale.

I thought some of you would be interested to see my first attempt at 3d printing.

As I wanted some Festiniog wagons in 5.5mm scale, 3d printing was a good solution to making an unusual prototype in an even more unusual scale!

Here's the CAD model:

CoalWagonOne_zps67d24c74.jpg

The 3D printed item:

DSC07990_zpse07ddf22.jpg

...and here's the final model:

DSC08011_zpsf10221d7.jpg

DSC08014_zps112f6d1c.jpg

I've also had some interiors printed for my more modern bogie coaches. It's a nice solution as I thought scratch building the seats would be rather tedious.

DSC07997_zpsb92667d0.jpg

DSC07999_zpsfcba6f67.jpg

DSC07998_zps384611a6.jpg

DSC07995_zps92f9e11f.jpg

If you're interested I can post my progress if I design and make any more items, although I should probably find a regular supplier of wheels first!

• 3 weeks later...

The wagons were printed in frosted ultra detail. I was hoping that any layering could be seen as wood grain, so I'm glad you think so.

I have been doing some more design work, the prototype research hasn't been easy though. However I'm not sure when ill be ordering this one.

post-7039-0-86886000-1392395840.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

An update is well overdue, so here's what I have been up to 3D printing wise.

I have been building a double Fairlie in 5.5mm scale from the old GEM kit, but I was never happy with the cab and after attempting to fix it I though I would be better off making my own. I have designed it so the cab roof can be removed.

FairlieCabRemovableRoof_zpsb1ea35ef.jpg

DSC09896_zpsc3b147ca.jpg

Next was my first loco design. I had a TT 0-8-0 chassis that I thought could be modified to represent a Baldwin 4-6-0 (which are all the rage since Bachmanns announcement!). This one will become Welsh Highland Railway No. 590.

Baldwin4-6-07_zpsdcd7ee24.jpg

This is what it looks like so far. Its a WSF body with many separate detail parts to be added later.

DSC09892_zps48d9dd1b.jpg

I recently started another Loco project to make Blanche. It started when I bought a few parts I found from the old GEM Linda kit; A kit I have never seen in full as they are very rare.

Looking at all the parts I needed to complete the engine I thought if I was lucky enough to find a Linda kit for myself I should make this one as Blanche. Blanche was also one of my favorites as a child as it was in regular use in the 90s. It should look good with my two Barn coaches.

Blanche55mmScale_zps1906afcc.jpg

DSC09890_zps64e310b6.jpg

...and that's not all! I have been experimenting by making some more slate waggons for myself, as you can never have too many!

DSC09898_zpsfac05c94.jpg

A pair made in WSF. Very crude in comparison to the metal kit versions, but the cost reflects that.

DSC09894_zps553eb705.jpg

Another slate waggon, this time made in UFD. I was very impressed with this one as all I needed to do was shorten the axles, pop them in and it rolls very well.

I have also made a FR disc signal for my layout, but I haven't taken any photos of it yet so a CAD image will have to do for now.

FRDiscSignal_zpscf64950a.jpg

In other news, I have also taken on my first commission to make NWNGR Gowrie in 7mm Scale.

Gowrie7mmScale5_zpsa0dccc35.jpg

Gowrie7mmScale6_zps2da77ff8.jpg

DSC09902_zps23674bbb.jpg

DSC09932_zps0aba4520.jpgDSC09933_zpsea2ec119.jpg

Well that is a lot of things. There must be something you would like to comment on.  ;)

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Mr Envelope. I've just read through your posts, and they are inspiring. I'm finding it interesting that your Gowrie is looking good in WSF. I'm currently doing a D3, and wondering if I should be modelling to allow it to be output in WSF as well as FUD.

Thanks for the comments,

Sorry to go slightly OT but 5.5mm along with S Scale have always fascinated me and something i have wanted to try my hand at. If I could only apply myself I think 3D is an achievable way forward, for me..

(for Jason's benefit )

Tom :)

Well it all depends on what you want to model. I chose 5.5mm scale because there is a wide range of Festiniog Railway kits available, but there are kits for Talyllyn, Corris and lots of accessories. You can find a catalogue here.

Tebee Models make models in 5.5 mm scale for 9mm, meter gauge (16.5, EM or P4??), 12mm and 16.5 gauge.

If you can design your own models to be 3D printed, the possibilities are endless!

Go on, you know you want to.  ;)

• 3 months later...

Me again, just updating the thread with yet more unfinished projects.

You cant really tell without paint but this is the same coal waggon that I started a while ago.

This is also my first print in Frosted Detail plastic. The difference is clear but I hope the lower resolution will show as wood grain detail.  

DSC00025_zpsipuazol1.jpg

DSC00027_zpsbjwhvdiy.jpg

More waggons...

DSC00039_zpsvc9yp9xe.jpg

DSC00041_zpsdtcpbgbp.jpg

DSC00045_zpshyqlndw3.jpg

If anyone is interested to see how Gowrie turned out:

DSC09944_zpswitl84sr.jpg

5.5mm/ft is growing in popularity, mainly I suspect because of the 3D printed models available. I have a couple of Tom's models, and I have resized a couple of my 3D printed WW1 locos to 5.5mm/ft. The Decauville fits the Roco TT chassis and the German 080 fits the Berlinner Bahn chassis. I will eventually get round to the other locos, maybe the wagons. My main interest in the scale is to model French metre gauge, a long term project.

I do hope to make it available for people to buy. I just need to change the design slightly but I've not bothered to do that yet.

I will re-scale it to 5.5mm scale when I can get my hands on a usable chassis. I think a Berliner BR86 with the rear driver removed will be a good match, but they are harder to find than the BR92 I used for 590. Just as well as I don't need any more projects!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh dear... Its been a while since I have posted here! To be fair not that much has happened.

I did get a Gowrie in 5.5mm scale. I thought it could be an opportunity to experiment and I had it made in Shapeways' 'Black Acrylic' which has it's own pros and cons. I don't like taking pictures of it because it never appears to be level... which I think was an issue with the 7mm version as well.

DSC01588_zpskct90swj.jpg

I have made another FR open wagon.

DSC00669_zpspi6vlqew.jpg

A different wagon I have been working is a van similar to FR 154.

DSC01668_zpsj9rajweb.jpg

A few weeks and some paint later...

DSC01679_zpszvcdnf63.jpg

Over the past year I have been making a vertical boiler locomotive from a drawing and one photograph of it at Portmadoc harbour station. It was apparently stabled at Boston Lodge so it will be able to appear regularly on my layout.

It started with a CAD model including all the all the parts required to finish the model.

VB_zpsbdquskbq.jpg

The 3D print 'fresh' from Shapeways:

DSC02497_zpsokplyrct.jpg

I made a chassis from a custom brass etch with a gearbox from KB scale and a Mashima motor. Many thanks to Narrow Planet as without Steve's help a doubt the loco would run.

DSC03392_zpsfli4ctcv.jpg

...and the finished result!

DSC03416_zpss4auwqhm.jpg

DSC03421_zpsjmu6cd3v.jpg

Archived