Facing point locks on single line

I wonder if someone could put me straight on facing point locks for a double slip?

There are four possible routes. Three are passenger lines and one, top right, a headshunt. Point 10 switches between the two passenger lines but point 9 doesn't need to change as long as it's set to Branch (position A).

So my understanding is that for Arrivals (right to left), FPLs would be required for point 10 at either the top for Platform 1 (position C), or at the bottom for Platform 2 (position D).

For departures (left to right), as point 9 doesn't move, only one FPL is required, at position A.

Have I got that right?

Many thanks

20201207_093419.jpg

You need to differentiate between a facing point lock, and what the facing point lock does.

You need an FPL for every facing point in a passenger line so in this case FPLs for A, B, and D.

An FPL can bolt the point Normal, or Reverse or in both positions. Hence the FPL on D needs to bolt the points both ways, the FPLs on A and B can just bolt them normal.

Whether point 9 needs one FPL or 2 depends on the detailed mechanical design, either way they could be worked by one lever.

• 11 months later...

Hello Folks

I hope it is permissible to re-open this subject.

I am going to design an interlocking frame for my layout. I have searched and not found a definitive answer to my problem.
The question is this; On  a turnout with a FPL, is there interlocking on the frame as well as on the points themselves.

Cheers

Godders

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Godders said:

Hello Folks

I hope it is permissible to re-open this subject.

I am going to design an interlocking frame for my layout. I have searched and not found a definitive answer to my problem.
The question is this; On  a turnout with a FPL, is there interlocking on the frame as well as on the points themselves.

Cheers

Godders

Yes.  assuming the FPL bolts when the lever stands reversed then the FPL lever will lock the point lever either both ways (if the point is bolted both ways) or in reverse if the point is only bolted when standing reverse.  Normally on, e.g. a Western frame FPL levers are usually kept reversed and have to be placed to normal before the point lever can be moved from its normal position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godders said:

Thank you both very much for the information.
Micknich, I have already being looking through many of your diagrams but I didn't spot this one, very helpful, I like diagrams.

Thanks

Godders

Gooders, I have hundreds of  signalling layouts, all from what was once the Hull operating area.

Yes, Mick,

I have indeed noticed that over the years. The main problem, as with everything on RMWeb and elsewhere, is finding what you want, when you want it.

Nevertheless all very interesting and helpful. One can spend hours perusing.

Godders

On 11/11/2021 at 13:09, The Stationmaster said:

Yes.  assuming the FPL bolts when the lever stands reversed then the FPL lever will lock the point lever either both ways (if the point is bolted both ways) or in reverse if the point is only bolted when standing reverse....

...but there were also a lot of (usually older) situations where the FPL only bolted the point normal and not when it was reverse. Eg if 'normal' was for a passenger-carrying route but 'reverse' led to a non-passenger route.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3