Waverley route, or Aberdeen - Perth?

bigwordsmith

Hi folks, 

So just as Waverley Shed is starting to look halfway decent, my beloved and I decided to grasp the nettle and extend the kitchen, which, totally coincidentally, means we're going to have to build a new roof that connects with the Garage roof, giving a potentially usable layout area of 45 feet, with a little bend half way along, by 8 feet.

So given the stud that comprises Waverley Shed (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73196-waverley-shed-somewhere-in-edinburgh/page-2) and my preference for running decent length trains, not to mention being born  Edinburgh, I'm thinking that the Waverley Route would offer a terrific opportunity for some long scenic vistas along one side of the loft, with a decent station incorporating the shed of course, along the other.

It also offers some great variety - A4s hauling fish trains, WDs and Robinson 2-8-0s struggling with long mixed goods, and above all you can realistically get away with a Pacific hauling 8 up. There was even a St. Pancras sleeper service which would let me run Peaks' and the odd Stanier. However, there's not much use for my 16 Pullmans so lovingly collected when I planned to do the ECML!

Benefits are a wider selection of locos - I could use all the different early BR diesels as well as Black Fives, and maybe even my two elderly 9fs, but the downside is that the terminals at each end are pretty big so wouldn't even come close to fitting on a 3 foot wide board!

However, I've also thought about moving 'Waverley' North a bit and siting it in Perth! This would give me free rein on using all the Peppercorns, Gresleys and BR standards in the fleet, together with a mix of short local stopping trains, and the 8-coach rakes would even be acceptable with one of the last six A4's at the head. 

All suggestions and advice much appreciated!

My Dad's previous layout was based on the Strathmore route (Perth-Aberdeen), whereas my next project is planned to include a section of the Waverley route so I have an interest in both.

Both, interestingly, experienced changes of motive power provision in the BR steam era (as you are obviously aware), the Strathmore route being an ex-LMS/MR preserve until the A4s were (famously) drafted in in 1963 to work the 3 hour Glasgow-Aberdeen expresses (a 'Jubilee' or Std Cl.5 was the likely motive power for the 'St. Mungo' in the 1950's), whereas the Waverley route was all ex-LNER/ER until Kingmoor assumed the role of motive power provider from the southern end following the closure of Canal shed (1963?) (so an A3 hauling a rake of Stanier stock on an express from St Pancras in the early 1950's was not unusual).

Difficult shout, and I can see the attraction of the Waverley route with it's sharp curves easily lending themselves to a model railway. Have you thought about whether you might like to centre on Perth and use your shed to represent 63A. That way, you could include the West Coast services, Duchesses on overnight sleepers, Clans from Carlisle, et al. Mind you, you'd need a load of ex-LMS Class 5's - largest single allocation at Perth (for Highland mainline services, in particular).

That's why my Dad went for Perth. As a fan of both LMS and LNER pacific types, he had the best of both worlds.

That's a great space to run trains ,why not base the layout with a bit of something from both areas and run the lot .

No constraints run what you like . dont know much about railways from that end of the country but they all sound exciting to watch .

run them all

Brian

Indeed that is the dilemma!

My father was always an East Coaster, which is probably why I have the same leaning, although he always admired the Black 5 and for years bemoaned the fact that no-one made on R-T-R, so when Hornby ( Tri-ang Hornby in those days) introduced the original with its tender drive, I bought him one for his birthday. Of course by that tome he was bemoaning the lack of a good V2 or B1, so the sight of a Black 5 coupled up to a V2 on the SO car carrier service that ran over the Waverley would gladden his heart!

With my East coast leanings, not to mention a stud of 9 different Peppercorn. Gresley pacifics, a Clan and a Brittannia ( moral, don't visit Warley and be tempted by cut price Bachmanns!) I suspect that Waverley is the more appropriate, but I can't really get away with the existing shed as it's miles way from either Canal or Haymarket.

The 'back story' around Haymarket was always going to be that it was a sub shed somewhere i Edinburgh that happened to have a truckload of heavies due to a turntable failure at 64B, but I can't really claim that if it's hung off the  tail end of at the South side of Waverley Station!

Or could I? Not sure quite how flexible modeller's licence is these days!

So I've just been playing around with drawings and realised that my maximum baseboard width is going to be about 3' on one side and 2'6 on the other. Given that I'll be working under a 45 degree roof pitch that's going to make modelling big mountains a bit of a challenge!

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

Archived