Mallard Partwork

hello I am also collecting this set,i have a standing order at wh smith and have all the bits in a box marked,but have 8 issues missing,e mailed hatchette but no response and several calls to wh smith and they just say its on order and hatchettes fault,im getting worried as there seems to be nothing but complaints about this company on the internet and people that never got all the parts,has anyone else had the same issues? regards martin.

I have a direct subscription with Hatchette and had no problems, if fact very good service.

4 issues come every 4 weeks.

If something is not right or breaks when I try to fit it, an email to them gets me a replacement within a couple of weeks.

They don't always reply to the emails, and sometimes the reply is to a completely different question, but the replacement issue still comes.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin

I did,not discover any complaints with the Scotsman and Hatchette have been very good at sorting the production issues with Mallard.

You are probably at a disAdvantage not having a subscription.

John

Hi Martin

I did,not discover any complaints with the Scotsman and Hatchette have been very good at sorting the production issues with Mallard.

You are probably at a disAdvantage not having a subscription.

John

Ditto, I have had subscriptions to both, in over 250 issues there has only been one damaged part (probably by the Post Office), which was dealt with in one 'phone call and a free replacement was sent very swiftly, despite my offer to pay, as it probably wasn't their fault.

They have also corrected faults with the kits, if discovered, which manufacturers usually don't.

I was sceptical at the start, as I had heard similar concerns about Hatchette, but experience has proved these concerns to be unfounded in my case

Peter.

• RMweb Gold

im getting worried as there seems to be nothing but complaints about this company on the internet and people that never got all the parts,has anyone else had the same issues?

People on the internet are a bunch of whingers.

I've also completed Flying Scotsman and it wasn't a kit that required much fettling. As we've seen Hachette have just handed out a set of replacement wheels to everyone. They're pretty good at sorting out replacement parts try contacting them directly.

I find an email usually sorts any issues out, you can phone but it's very difficult to understand the phone operators.

I had a damaged side skirt, more to do with it being dropped in transit than any thing at Hachette & a whole replacement set was sent. I now have two boiler sections.

I must agree with all the above. I subscribed to Flying Scotsman, and had no problems at all with the service from Hachette. Now catching up with Mallard (started at 45 on subscription, and getting the back issues gradually) and so far everything OK with that one.

I emailed to say "no binders please", and an acknowledgement came in a few days.

Personally I would cancel the WHS order, and start a subscription - you can start anywhere from 45 onwards, and back issues are available from the online shop, albeit plus 50p postage each one.....

Edited by Sojourner

WH Smith are hardly a local newsagent...they aren't really a bookshop, either. Just a big business who have too many shops and too many customers wanting vastly different things.

After reading a few horror stories, I finally got round to checking all my issues, only to find I don't have issue 20. I've sent an email.

I've also checked off and marked the packaging of all the parts, which seem OK so far.

Two questions:

Do I need to tell them the wheels they are sending me are no good?

Has anyone yet sorted the problems of getting two of the same coupling rods? (Ie: not handed?)

Issue 52 will have the correct wheels, axles, new balance weights and pages of instruction, but not all the screws, washers and bushes. So you need those parts from the earlier issues 33-43 with the bad wheels and axles.

My coupling rods were correct, so I guess you have to check your issue when it arrives and complain if it's wrong.

Have you checked the water gauges in issue 12 ? these seem to vary from bad (but can be filed down) to broken.

Thanks.

Yes, mine, although nowhere near as nice as those in the photos in the mag, were at least usable. I will probably go for a complete kit for the backhead anyway, Laurie Griffin does a good one at a decent price.

Just checked my e-mails, they have responded, an issue 20 will be with me within 14 days, and they say I don't need to mention the wheels again, they will sort it for me, so your advice above is gratefully received.

Can't fault their service so far. They did try to palm me off with a poor quality magnifier, but I got the proper one once I emailed them.

Edited by JeffP

Checking my account, I've had binders at £6.99 sent with issues 4-7, 20-23, 40-43, and 60-63.

So probably more binders to come with 80, 100 and possibly 120 ?

The binders are good for keeping the instructions in order while I assemble slightly out of sequence, but I don't have the space to keep them all.

Good idea to opt out of the binders, so far I have 3 and another on its way, but I've not filled 2 yet.

So I've now emailed and had a reply to stop getting any more.

Yep, same for me. E-mailed Hatchette and got a reply from customer services cancelling all future binders within two days.

Checked my account today, issue 20 still outstanding, and wasn't included at all, my deliveries jumped from issue 19 to issue 21.

I also find I was billed for binder/dividers after issue 7, but never received those either. I suppose I'll have to pay for those now, should have checked at the time. I've emailed again, we'll see what they say.

The last four issues are a bit boring, parts wise, just four small frets of brass parts, and some bogie fixings.