Mallard Partwork

Yes, full valve gear will be in later issues. If not it's also available here:  http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/motion_parts_lner.html

Does anyone know how many issues there will be in total? I can't remember if they ever said.

Yes but premier do not provide the 12ba fixings to the motion bracket etc in their valve gear set - you do need to have some experience with fitting -if unsure i would stick to the model issues of which there will be 130 at my last understanding

Thanks Lemburg.

I agree that the 12BA fittings aren't provided, but the Premier Components sets are milled, not etches, producing a more solid, heavy look that cannot be matched by soldering/gluing multiple etchings together.

You pays your money.....

• RMweb Gold

..................... One Hundred and Thirty !...................

You will find this on post 73 with a link to confirm.................................................

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

All i really need now are the name/worksplates/commemorative plates-nice to think that they would all be provided on one etch (Like FS) but bearing in mind 1 wheel =1issue etc etc I won't hold my breath.

Perhaps guilplates keep a master bearing in mind the name -anybody been down that route??

Me too, but having only seen Mallard withdrawn at the Plant, mine will be done as 60014 Silver Link.

The Severn Mill plates are exquisite and include the correctly numbered tender plate etc, although it helps if you provide the tender number you require.

Details of tenders here:  http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/tenders/tenders1.shtml

It's in four parts.

Severn Mill:  http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/

Spent ten minutes yesterday marking all my rod/wire packets with diameters and part numbers. Also noticed that the 1.6mm (1/16th) wire for the ejector is bent through 90 deg. Oh well. It'll get straightened or replaced, not a dear item.

I'm now unsure as to whether the FULL valvegear will be provided, someone on Facebook reckons the return crank is just held on with wire?

• RMweb Gold

That would be very diappointing if true.

I`ve been very impressed with the quality of nearly all the parts supplied, including the plastic tender body which none will notice once the model is painted.

The replacement wheels I will probably use as apart from the axles won`t be troubled with rust problems as are often the more expensive Slaters originals.

Out of interest....... these are the parts I have changed/replaced..................

post-17779-0-56495800-1481714692_thumb.jpg

The white metal lamp irons are Hatchette`s silliest blunder.

The motor / gearbox offer won`t be powerfull enough for those of us building a fully working/ layout model and I was lucky to snap up a massive Sagami motor and suitable gearbox on ebay for £30.

I like lost wax whistle castings.........

I'm now unsure as to whether the FULL valvegear will be provided, someone on Facebook reckons the return crank is just held on with wire?

I saw that too, iirc in relation to whether you cut away the valance or not, I'd be surprised if this involved the return crank though, that's a very prominent feature fixed to the main driver that needs to be present. I'd be very surprised if anything was missing from the motion, the retrun crank as mentioned is very prominent and thus has to be there, this means that the eccentric rod attached to it also needs to be included and since we know that the expansion link brackets are already on the chassis then I would also expect to see the expansion link ( other end of eccentric rod) and radius rod be included too.....in all I'd expect all the motion to be present, I'd be both very disappointed and surprised if this wasn't the case?

Pete

I got some Slaters driving wheels at the Reading show, the replacement wheels had too much wobble and would not stay in gauge.

I have the premier coupling rods, but not the jointed ones, and not the rest of the motion.

I'm not sure which crank pins to use on the middle drivers, I don't like the 3mm diameter ones supplied by Hachette.

I think I prefer to get a kit all in one box and complete each major part before moving to the next, rather than the random sequence we have with this.

I have to agree...but in this case, £~ 700 for the Piercy model was beyond me in one go, and saving up would just have resulted in me buying another model half way to achieving the full sum, LOL

Oh, and that £700 odd didn't include wheels......

Edited by JeffP

Spent ten minutes yesterday marking all my rod/wire packets with diameters and part numbers. Also noticed that the 1.6mm (1/16th) wire for the ejector is bent through 90 deg. Oh well. It'll get straightened or replaced, not a dear item.

Bearing in mind the detailed lubricator linkage provided in issues 101/2 it seems illogical that key valve gear components will  be  omitted.

I got some Slaters driving wheels at the Reading show, the replacement wheels had too much wobble and would not stay in gauge.

I have the premier coupling rods, but not the jointed ones, and not the rest of the motion.

I'm not sure which crank pins to use on the middle drivers, I don't like the 3mm diameter ones supplied by Hachette.

I think I prefer to get a kit all in one box and complete each major part before moving to the next, rather than the random sequence we have with this.

Yes i was surprised to see the pic of Premiers jointed coupling rods (which i prefer) I have the same as you. The bottom line with the wheels provided is that they are ok for a static model only. The F/S wheels were the same. They may well be made of an alloy rather than the steel of Slaters and therefore corrosion resistant but that is their only attribute.

Reading these recent posts the added costs of wheels ,motor and valve gear etc to make a decent and presentable working model are pushing the overall cost into cloud cuckoo land.! I noted that a DJH unmade  limited edition A4 with wheels sold on e bay a few months back for just over £500

As an aside -and it has been touched upon before i think-is anyone any wiser as to how the tender buffers will fit into holes which are mostly filled immediately behind with the tender side frames? Little side locating spigots perhaps? They must be keeping these buffers until the last few issues i guess unless being a part subscriber i have missed them.Either that or they are still working it out.

I wondered about that, but self contained buffers are available (as another extra from another seller) or those provided could be modified, but that job really requires a lathe.

Bearing in mind the detailed lubricator linkage provided in issues 101/2 it seems illogical that key valve gear components will  be  omitted.

Ah.....now that answers a question recently discussed on the Facebook site too. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

A pity.

Silly decision by Hatchette to `spoil the bake for a ha`penth of flour` right at the last lap. particularly when they have diligently supplied all the axle box detailing between the frames.  I don`t suppose `mass complaints` will make any difference as they would probably produce the parts over a further   ` 12 issues`

Ragstone models appear to produce the missing part, but then there is a ` detailed lump` required the other side of the cylinder and I can`t track that piece down.

Oh well, mine will be a `full skirted bint` so has saved a lot of filing and no more expence on the project.

Merry Christmas to all  ` Hatcheteers`

John

• Like 1