Mallard Partwork

I'm up to issue 116, it will finish in July, if the final two issues are 129/130.

Still not making any progress with my drawings for the etched parts. My person who was going to do it is bogged down with his dissertation......

Not sure about cheaper, Nick, but better? Certainly.

Try ABC, Slaters and MSC , (on this last, look at the MT Helical range).

http://www.abcgears.co.uk/html/_0__gauge_gearboxes.html

http://www.mscmodels.co.uk/motor-gearboxes/

https://slatersplastikard.com/others/gearboxes.php

I tend to use helical drive and have bought MSC in the past as I got discount for being in ALSRM. ABC have absolutely superb diesel bogies too.

I have up to 127 now, still need to source a motor/gearbox combo as i didn't get the package advertised, was advised at the time I could get something cheaper elsewhere?

I bought (from that well known on-line trading site) a sultzer motor/gearbox combo about a year or so ago, with motor mount and pick-ups for about £50 if i remember correctly. It's 25:1 ratio, single stage and a substantial Phosphor bronze/brass/steel unit.

These were marketed by Hatchette for the earlier F/S kit but prior to that were sold directly by DJH with a crailcrest CR 209 motor(which is the one i have).I have heard said that these units would not be 'man enough' for a pacific but i have no complaints notwithstanding the tender sides/back/reinforcing  are nickel silver and brass and the tender front is w/metal. These units still come up every 2 or 3 months and if you persevere are well worth your trouble.

• RMweb Gold

On the upside................................................................................

...... grabbed a massive Sagami motor and fold up 26.1 gearbox on ebay last year for £30............................ :sungum:

post-17779-0-43612300-1489924327_thumb.jpg

on the downside...............................

my replacement drivers are not round and have a manufacturing `hump` on them so need to be replaced with Slaters............. :rtfm:

• Like 1

Does anyone know what is supplied for the £90 spent on the motor unit. I ordered this some time back and only received the motor and gear box, not the plunger pickups. I have tried to contact Hachette but they will not reply.

Should I have received anything else?

I've not looked at this on mine yet, the complete set has now been put away for a future date....however, Mike you mention wire? is this just normal electrical wire or is there some 'sprung wire' in the kit too?  I'me just wondering if that is what they intended for the pickups? Like I said I haven't looked closely at the contents of the kit so could be totally wrong..

Pete

It's just electrical wire which they show being connected to the tags on the Slaters pickups, giving the length for each bit of wire.

Lots of details about how to assemble the pickups, so I think the instruction writer expected the pickups to be provided.

There are a few pitfalls forth-coming, for all those of us that de-skirted (cut away)

you will have to source valves ,radius rods and conjugated rods. also.(.I sourced mine from  Lawrie Griffin)

the brass screw for the centre drive wheels replace with a 10ba screw then you'll have to buy or make "top hat" bearings to fit onto these, the list goes on,

But just persevere and you'll get there,it's a challenge for me at the moment so I have started at screws (10ba) and now making the "top - hats,

If there are any more " hic-cups" feel free to let us all know.--(phew)---Rob

How much of the valve-gear did you get from Lawrie? He told me he hadn't radius rods and only had the wrong type of valves, plus no valve rods, conjugated gear etc?

I have a source making the above and am still trying to draw the work for having the radius rods, conjugated gear etc etched.

• 2 weeks later...

post-29572-0-43285000-1491236313_thumb.jpgTo  those nearing the end of this partwork or others learning from others before taking the plunge the following may be useful or of interest-

Wheels !! or the masking/preparation of them prior to painting:-

As the wheels that hatchette supply are made of an alloy rather than steel they will not corrode - however in terms of hardness they are much softer and  are much easier to scratch and even score than the alternatives when you are rubbing away with coarser grit paper to remove paint, therefore the attention you give to reducing this laborious task will be worth it .Rather than the time consuming and frustrating task ( shown in the step by step) of cutting strips of masking tape(which sticks to anything and everything other than that intended) and trying to coax straight masking tape to form a curve and later (on removal and after painting) finding that paint has seeped everywhere - I have found the following method much quicker,more effective and easier.

I use a 1/8'' vinyl masking tape around the steel rim -I bought this some years ago at an exhibition someplace and it has not deteriorated like the paper ones do.I then apply maskol around the steel flats and overlapping the edge of the masking tape.a lot of folk do not like maskol but the secret for me is to half fill the white spirit bottle cap with same and keep a tissue moistened with it to remove the elasticated build up from your brush(a no. 2 incidentally)with maskol you put enough on your brush to do the job without going back and playing about with it!   The attached pic shows the ubiquitous earbud which when cut through makes ideal crankpin covers!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was hoping to have sent for mine Rob, but it`s all on temporary hold while I get used to giving my four year old Dachsund her insulin twice a day now that she has suddenly become a diabetic!!!!

Normal service hopefully resumed in the summer.......

John

Have had to send for Slaters wheels, the ones from Hachette just don't conform;- slack on the axles and wobbles, screws for the axles- soft ---Rob.

Hi Rob what did you order, just the main wheels or crank pins and other wheels? I am thinking of the whole lot and some steel bolts for the valve gear as I will be adding the missing valve gear parts somehow.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been catching up a few pages and noticed that people are having difficulty getting hold of the elusive JPL Models.  Here's all the info.  JPL Models, 129 Elliot Street, Tyldesley, Machester M29 8FL.  Proprietor David Brown.  Telephone 09142 896138. Closed on Mondays... and sometimes Saturdays if it conflicts with a show

I was hoping to have sent for mine Rob, but it`s all on temporary hold while I get used to giving my four year old Dachsund her insulin twice a day now that she has suddenly become a diabetic!!!!

Normal service hopefully resumed in the summer.......

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been sat here over the weekend staring at my boxes containing the collection and I really cannot envisage me building it any time soon. Even if I was to build it, I do not have anywhere to run it, I was just caught up in the idea of building my own loco way back in 2014. I think it may be time to face up to reality and consider selling to collection as a job lot to someone who will do it justice. (If anyone knows where to actually click to find the RMweb buy and sell, that'd be great as 20 minutes of random clicking has bruoght me no joy.)

I will not consider selling individual issues, (try WH Smiths for that, they hold partwork back issues in their warehouses, or used to when I worked for them,) and I realise that you can buy A4 kits elsewhere for around £650 which is a lot less than I have paid for the collection, but is a price I would accept if anyone is interested. Swaps are also a possibility for American outline stuff, either HO or O, if it's O though, I'm thinking switching locos etc, not large mainline stuff that requires a large layout like the Mallard would).

I will confess that some of the early issues have been opened and placed into the binders, but all the parts are numbered to go with the issues. Also, I didn't opt for the motorisation package so that will need to be sourced separately. Would anyone be interested in this?

Hi all,

I've been sat here over the weekend staring at my boxes containing the collection and I really cannot envisage me building it any time soon. Even if I was to build it, I do not have anywhere to run it, I was just caught up in the idea of building my own loco way back in 2014. I think it may be time to face up to reality and consider selling to collection as a job lot to someone who will do it justice. (If anyone knows where to actually click to find the RMweb buy and sell, that'd be great as 20 minutes of random clicking has bruoght me no joy.)

I will not consider selling individual issues, (try WH Smiths for that, they hold partwork back issues in their warehouses, or used to when I worked for them,) and I realise that you can buy A4 kits elsewhere for around £650 which is a lot less than I have paid for the collection, but is a price I would accept if anyone is interested. Swaps are also a possibility for American outline stuff, either HO or O, if it's O though, I'm thinking switching locos etc, not large mainline stuff that requires a large layout like the Mallard would).

I will confess that some of the early issues have been opened and placed into the binders, but all the parts are numbered to go with the issues. Also, I didn't opt for the motorisation package so that will need to be sourced separately. Would anyone be interested in this?

I think that you'll find that RMweb buy and sell no longer operates.

Regards,

John Isherwood.