Mallard Partwork

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hatchet Mallard,

Anybody got any further forward as regarding missing valve gear and conjugated links, at a dead stop at the moment.

Yes, I'm on with it.

The valve guides will be available from either ragstone or Laurie Griffin, Laurie is also going to produce the valve rods with their distinctive ends.

As for the conjugated gear etc, I've recently had it pointed out to me that the reversing rod and right angled lifting levers are also missing. I'm trying to learn Corel Draw so as to produce the radius rods, conjugated gear, and the above bits, but either it's harder thean people say or I have zero talent or patience. bear with me, I WILL get something sorted....

I started on it, but my computer crashed and I lost (of course) a whole file of photos I'd just scanned in and spent hours on photoshop cleaning up....so they have taken precedence. Done now.

• Like 1

Hatchet Mallard,

Anybody got any further forward as regarding missing valve gear and conjugated links, at a dead stop at the moment.

Are these missing pieces from the partwork, or are people looking for replacements? I haven't started my build yet but I will collect my last issue next week so would like some heads up if there a piece(s) missing. thanks

• RMweb Gold

they are not missing Dan, but are parts that hatchette decided not to produce as they are hidden behind the valence presumably.  Working  conjugated valve gear is also not easy to get right for novices.

It is only an issue if you are modelling this project with valences removed.

• RMweb Gold

Hatchette wheels up and running....... surprisingly well........................

Also, a very level and accurate chassis etch................................

post-17779-0-94510500-1487318876_thumb.jpg

Now my wife understands why I got a glass kitchen table.......sod to keep clean.....ace to test rollling chassis.....simples rerally.....

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 3

Hello to all

For those of you who have the latest partwork issues I note that 127/128 covers injector castings and brackets .For the more clued up members where and what are these and are they visible on the skirted version? 

The-supposedly- final issue -130- is now available on Hachettes website -does this include the nameplates etc??

Would be grateful for any information re these questions.

Hello to all

For those of you who have the latest partwork issues I note that 127/128 covers injector castings and brackets .For the more clued up members where and what are these and are they visible on the skirted version?

The-supposedly- final issue -130- is now available on Hachettes website -does this include the nameplates etc??

Would be grateful for any information re these questions.

Hi

Assuming that the A4 is the same as A1/3 the injectors fit under the cab....there are two different types so you need to get the correct injector on it's correct side...I will try to post more details later...I have all of the info on my facebook page for my 5" flying scotsman build

Pete

I tried to copy and paste the injector details but for some reason I can't do this on my phone...here's a link to the page.... https://www.facebook.com/liveSteamFlyingScotsman/ go to 'about' and then 'products' for the details required.....remember that this info is for 4472 when she was an A1 and right hand drive...it may be that the injectors positions were swapped for left hand loco's....there's a flat stay under the cab.....the injectors sit on this..

Pete

I have a slightly tight crossover on my small layout, I don't know the radius but its less than 6ft. The pony truck needs a little more side play and possibly a heavier spring, but the main issue seems to be the loco to tender coupling which needs a lot more side play.

• RMweb Gold

For mine to negotiate a B6 turnout i needed to:-

(a) Shorten the length of the whitemetal casting that houses the springs in the front bogie.

And carefully deepen the holes that the springs live in and make sure the springs are a sliding fit

so that the block slides to it`s furthest length of travel left and right and that each spring slides fully into it`s hole.

(b) remove the front bogie axle washers.

© File the wheel faces and axle boss` absolutely flush to increase the swing of the rear radial truck.

(d) stop  any side movement to the front drivers

(e)  Allow side movement to the centre and rear drivers.

Really a B7 turnout is the absolute safest limit on mine.

John

Hello all,

I know that a B6 is a type of point that has a 1;6 angle at the vee of the point, but for some of us what is the radius of the track?

You also mention a B7 point well that is a point with a 1:7 angle at the vee but what is the radius of the track, and would it affect the track through the points if they were an 'A' type or a 'C' type?

IIRC A,B & C type points all had to do with the length of the plaining of the point blades, and if the blades were sprung or lose heeled.

TFAH

OzzyO.

• 2 weeks later...