SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Greetings folks. Does anyone have this book? Southern Pull-Push Stock (Illustrated History Of) Mike King.

Doesn't seem available anywhere. There is some info in there I coud really use.

Oh, just in case you thought I had emigrated....nope, I have been self shielding and keeping well away from everyone else (except my Bowls companion). I have even been keeping well away from myself a lot of the time.

Too many Lings and Tunny & an ancient Peco Wonderful Wagon (Milk Tanker...gift from a good mate)  have been constructed and glue sniffed. Far too few little people have been painted and breath held. Far too may books have been left lying around withrefernce stickers attached, causing inconvenience. Far too few tidying of the loft storage ststem promises have been broken. Far too many boxes of forgotten stuff have been discovered creating further distraction. Far too few motivational talks to myself have not resulted in much progress.

Nevertheless, and despite all the shite that is out there attempting to kill me, I have got things to do, books to read, Vids to watch (mainly Polish) and collections of all sorts of brass bits to play with. 

This winter will not be one of discontent it will be more loitering with intent as I decide which area of The Junction to attack next.  

Such fun, bear with....

Ar$£

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I bet 'trumpie' doesn't have a train set........:spruceup:

He has a lot of space for one!  White House, Margo del Lago, Trump Tower, etc.  He could even put one  in AF1!

Brian.

• Funny 2

13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Greetings folks. Does anyone have this book? Southern Pull-Push Stock (Illustrated History Of) Mike King.

Doesn't seem available anywhere. There is some info in there I coud really use.

Oh, just in case you thought I had emigrated....nope, I have been self shielding and keeping well away from everyone else (except my Bowls companion). I have even been keeping well away from myself a lot of the time.

Too many Lings and Tunny & an ancient Peco Wonderful Wagon (Milk Tanker...gift from a good mate)  have been constructed and glue sniffed. Far too few little people have been painted and breath held. Far too may books have been left lying around withrefernce stickers attached, causing inconvenience. Far too few tidying of the loft storage ststem promises have been broken. Far too many boxes of forgotten stuff have been discovered creating further distraction. Far too few motivational talks to myself have not resulted in much progress.

Nevertheless, and despite all the shite that is out there attempting to kill me, I have got things to do, books to read, Vids to watch (mainly Polish) and collections of all sorts of brass bits to play with. 

This winter will not be one of discontent it will be more loitering with intent as I decide which area of The Junction to attack next.  

Such fun, bear with....

Ar$£

Mr Duck

So pleased to hear you’re doing okay, can’t understand why your bowels should need a companion though.  I’ve got a copy of Mike King’s bible on pull-push, can’t let go of it as they are scarce,as you say, but I’m quite willing to do any research for you. Is it the Exmouth Junction sets you’re interested in?
Stay safe, Rich 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Too many Lings and Tunny & an ancient Peco Wonderful Wagon (Milk Tanker...gift from a good mate)  have been constructed and glue sniffed

Keep at it Sir. I'm having to trawl an auction site as my kit stash is rapidly heading for single figures. Got to make some transfers for the oddities in the engineers' fleet and Midland Tar Distillers tanks. Also need some donors for Gresley BTOs for the school excursion to the zoo. I wonder if the Footex from the Strong Country may have included a Maunsell Buffet? Then of course there is the CafCar conversion that appeared in our Margate trains for a while. Need Mr Mousa to repeat his etch for that. More ideas and not enough bits. Now what did I do with those B Set bogies intended for that G*R non-corridor 3rd?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Ashley Bridge said:

Mr Duck

So pleased to hear you’re doing okay, can’t understand why your bowels should need a companion though.  I’ve got a copy of Mike King’s bible on pull-push, can’t let go of it as they are scarce,as you say, but I’m quite willing to do any research for you. Is it the Exmouth Junction sets you’re interested in?
Stay safe, Rich 

See PM Rich. It is this for which I was searching for info. There were sevral sets and it is Set 381 seen here that I am going to attempt to build. 50C9F68D-2769-4758-8BB3-5DA1095E6BF4.jpeg.3d7b4558c51584f2f030253835c97ee1.jpg.5dd5d1d0d2f28716142ea2f7ceb10f50.jpg

I have a set of sides ends and a few bits from Mousa and a couple of suitable ( I hope) floors from Worsley Works. I won't be too fussed about bogies but can probably fettle those. I need to obtain the 'look'; it will be green with the Set Numbers but roof layout and some other bits are essentila to identify.

All the best.

Phil

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

See PM Rich. It is this for which I was searching for info. There were sevral sets and it is Set 381 seen here that I am going to attempt to build. 50C9F68D-2769-4758-8BB3-5DA1095E6BF4.jpeg.3d7b4558c51584f2f030253835c97ee1.jpg.5dd5d1d0d2f28716142ea2f7ceb10f50.jpg

I have a set of sides ends and a few bits from Mousa and a couple of suitable ( I hope) floors from Worsley Works. I won't be too fussed about bogies but can probably fettle those. I need to obtain the 'look'; it will be green with the Set Numbers but roof layout and some other bits are essentila to identify.

All the best.

Phil

I used a set of Mousa sides on an Airfix GW coach, but ended up cutting so much away to get it in “ gauge “ it was virtually a rebuild. Dave at Roxey does Southern bogies but not sure about Ironclads.

As long as you get the face and roof right you’re nearly there, although your coach still has the lookouts?
Rich.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I used a set of Mousa sides on an Airfix GW coach, but ended up cutting so much away to get it in “ gauge “ it was virtually a rebuild. Dave at Roxey does Southern bogies but not sure about Ironclads.

As long as you get the face and roof right you’re nearly there, although your coach still has the lookouts?
Rich.

I reckon I can bodge the bogies having seen them. Having access to pictures and plans is also very useful, so thanks for the 'loan' buddy.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some people have started and finished layouts during Lockdown/up/in/out/ shake it all about. Not me though as you can guess. 

However I built an inordiante number of wagons and a few vans + one 'aged' Peco Wonderful Wagon Milk Tanker! The latter was part of a 'gift set' from a kind 'friend' and I made it for nostalgic reasons. It may well take a place on SOSJ but be covered in moss, mould or some other vegetation.

I have also learned a lot about Acrylic Paints; not spray but brushing so far. I like them. They work really well on Modelue Figures and Lamps; not so good on Pewter type little people though if you don't use a good primer.

I have also faffed (none finished yet of course) with a good batch of coach conversions, using all sorts of donor bodies and etched sides from Comet, Mousa, Southern Pride and Worsley Works. There is something very satisfying about hacking plastic and then prepping etched sides ready for attachment. 

That very kind fellow of The Borg (Stephen) also supplied me with some very tidy etches for a big bu##er signal and along with Mr Wizard's bits and pieces and some mates, a big Bracket will be fettled sometime in the future.

The occasional train has moved just to keep the tracks clean. 

Next up is the plan for the winter entombment. I hope to make a hit on the Incline and the Cutting leading to Stu's lovely Tunnel. That includes modified ideas for the 'hiding' of the Fiddle Yard that adjoins that section.

Plenty to get on with if I can stay fit (I mean well, as I am now so unfit that I am almost like the 'Slobs' on Harry Enfield). Laods of kits and bits and trickery to play with.

One thing that has kept me going the last 8 months is the friendship of a group of on line buddies. 

I would love to have done more but, hey ho, I am a Sloth.

Hope you are all well and coping (I have found that very hard on occasions and I am sure there are more challenges to come)?

If you get fed up, go find some web cams and vids of railways in Poland; live steam at Wolsztyn and amazing Station views in Warsaw, along with vids from bygone years  when steam was still in regular use up until the early 90s. The Poles certainly love their trains and Private User investment alongside the National System (PKP) over there is fantastic. The variety of stock is fabulous.

I shall do some updates and pics soon.

P

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Phil my friend, it’s great to hear you’re still a Alive and kicking!

I too have decide 2020 is my Anna’s Horribilis. This  years tally so far includes:

• Ruptured Achilles rehab from last year
  • Ruptured Lung and artery, which got me hospitalised and led to
  • Covid, which laid me low for eight weeks and ended up with me lying anotheb15% of my lung, so the medics put me on
  • Massive Oral Steroids, which made me awfully ill and left me with
  • hypokalaemia. Just before I went through
  • skin tumour removal, followed by 
  • infused mega dose Steroids, to try and recover some of the lungs lost to vivid, but robbed me of my balance and led to a
  • Major fall and back injury, about two weeks ago, which is only calming down now!

when I look back on 2020 I really wonder how I’m still going, yet tomorrow I’m out on the bike for some practice, and Monday I’m restarting with my PTI, who is very fit and makes me feel terribly inferior

as you know only too well, it’s the sheer bad assness of our psyches that somehow seem to kick back against the ravages of time on our bodies, and keeps us going. Some say weaker bloody minded. I prefer to think of it as ‘haven’t got much choice really!’

Sadly, however, I seem to have lost all interest in modelling, instead I find myself wondering how my family will ever dispose of the collection without being utterly ripped off!

funny old world, but keep yer up!

FFS Smiffy. I have just insulted you on yer W.E. thread mate. More like 'orribillus!

Makes my feeble issues look like splendid additional challenges to just ignore. Damn glad you are back on form though and have decided to keep going. Also I would deffo buy a Lottery Ticket after all that, as you must be up for a big win on that form.

ATB

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

FFS Smiffy. I have just insulted you on yer W.E. thread mate. More like 'orribillus!

Makes my feeble issues look like splendid additional challenges to just ignore. Damn glad you are back on form though and have decided to keep going. Also I would deffo buy a Lottery Ticket after all that, as you must be up for a big win on that form.

ATB

P

Not at all my friend - I have to remind myself from time to time that when folks ask 'How are you' it's a politeness not a question!

Once tieback stops hurting I'm sure I'll put it all behind me and get back on with life. TBH what choice do we have? Especially if that nice Mr. Starmer is going to lock us all up because we're 'vulnerable'

My Arse!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Been wrestling with a  'blubber' of Walruses (40T SR/BR Ballast Wagons for the uninitiated). Every time I open the box of Cambrian kits they seem to have reproduced. I did though acquire 3 nicely built and some more kits from a kind 'member' so I shouldn't complain. All bar one is Cambrian; a good kit but a bit if a faff.

I need a 'loaded' train of 9 and some spares. I might do removable loads with enough for an 'empties' and when the wagons were mixed (usually with Dogfish). I have some resin loads and they are really useful and not too heavy; the wagons themselves have lead down low for COG,  as they are lightweight otherwise. 

I am experimenting with a coupling method too as I am not using typial Baccy/Hornby/Dapol, except for maybe the one wagon to loco in the 9 set and possibly on a few spares. Don't know yet. The Cambrians are designed for RTR type couplings but the fixing is weird.

What I am enjoying doing is weathering the blighters! Transfers by CCT are lovely too with a good choice of numbers. I did these some time back but they are typical. I had forgotten to naumberf them up before weathering.....hence the shiny parts; been weathered since.

Img_0362.jpg.1f4da96b2f10121d7a0d3bd5ea48a767.jpg

There have been a few other interesting wagon builds done recently too:

20200714_134642-1.jpg.b3a52b919e9f57bbb3db2177c1cd10af.jpg

829700572_20200716_132356-1-1(1).jpg.d5417f864333f33fc17e3d08c7323e22.jpg

Inspired by 'mates' I have also taken up the Acrylic paint method for some very neat figures from Modelu; these really take the paint well especially if primed lightly first with 'flesh' primer.

Here are a couple of characters posing in front of a Tunny :image.png.94397fff4d6223eba51cff4899611f10.png

I find that painting figures is quite theraputic, but I am not as good (yet?) as a mate who actually does their faces.

P

You’re right about fun building and weathering Walrii (?) when you look at period photos it’s fun putting all the patches and strengthening plates on  they seemed to accumulate.

Is that a Falcon Works Shark lurking in the background?  They’re fun too, all those little brackets along the sole bar!
Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

You’re right about fun building and weathering Walrii (?) when you look at period photos it’s fun putting all the patches and strengthening plates on  they seemed to accumulate.

Is that a Falcon Works Shark lurking in the background?  They’re fun too, all those little brackets along the sole bar!
Rich

Thanks for that. I am not sure about the patches as I can't remember ever seeing any with that in the early 60s, however was I really looking?

Not a Falcon Works one but a MARC Models version.  It is quite a good set of etches but a bu##er to get the tiny bits sorted. I will be finishing it soon..............I have some transfer Rivets for the Solebars. At £90 I shoulf have asked for a built one as that is a bargain when the kit is around £40.

http://www.marcmodels.co.uk/SR.html

Edited by Mallard60022
Add some sensible words.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Mr Duck,

Good to see the results of your isolation modelling, I wish I had been so productive.

Stay safe.

You too buddy. Took me several months to calm down after the initial 'panic' that the end of the world had happened and I hadn't finished the layout!

P

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

You too buddy. Took me several months to calm down after the initial 'panic' that the end of the world had happened and I hadn't finished the layout!

P

Can't take it with you so why worry you haven't finished before the end of the world?

Plus you haven't worried about not finishing before some one said times up, did you?

Talking of the end of the world , catch a train to Southminster and take a walk to Bradwell on Sea. From there you can see the end of the world it is called Mersea Island.

And no I am not a flat earther, it is around where I live but I am assured that it is all lumpy and bumpy with hills and mountains in other places, therefore not flat.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...