SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• Mallard60022 changed the title to SOS Junction. Not much modelling included (as I CRBA at the moment). Roll on Springtime.
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tried some new Gangway Connectors today. Composite on the left has just a single Rubbing Plate attached to the original Gangway; the Brake on the right has a single bellows fitting. For this 3 Set I used 2 bellows and 2 plates. You get 12 sets in a Pack for £3.00.

I used some similar ones on my Gresley/Thompson set. They do make a real difference to the look of the train and a nice little job you can do in a warm room in the winter. Trouble is after seeing them I keep wanting to do all my other old corridor coaches. 

Another thing I have tried on old RTR stock is to re-mount the couplings a bit further back when they are not the Bachmann one-size-suits-nothing moulded into the bogie frame types. The first time I did it I worked out the length by propelling through a Hornby Dublo 3-rail crossover which equates to about 1st radius.  I now have a set track point with 2nd radius curve off it on my test plank. If they propel round that they will take anything on the layout without buffer lockin or derailing.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I used some similar ones on my Gresley/Thompson set. They do make a real difference to the look of the train and a nice little job you can do in a warm room in the winter. Trouble is after seeing them I keep wanting to do all my other old corridor coaches. 

Another thing I have tried on old RTR stock is to re-mount the couplings a bit further back when they are not the Bachmann one-size-suits-nothing moulded into the bogie frame types. The first time I did it I worked out the length by propelling through a Hornby Dublo 3-rail crossover which equates to about 1st radius.  I now have a set track point with 2nd radius curve off it on my test plank. If they propel round that they will take anything on the layout without buffer lockin or derailing.  

I tried to get some more today and they only have a few types left. I ordered a load of MK1 sets, but there are no more Bulleid/Maunsell ones; I have asked if they are getting more as I need another ten Packs or so. now I know they work so well and do not have 'wings'. 

https://www.fairpricemodels.co.uk/Store1/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_75

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I tried to get some more today and they only have a few types left. I ordered a load of MK1 sets, but there are no more Bulleid/Maunsell ones; I have asked if they are getting more as I need another ten Packs or so. now I know they work so well and do not have 'wings'. 

https://www.fairpricemodels.co.uk/Store1/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_75

EBay shop has many more available. https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/fair-price-models

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

20210115_123003.jpg.4edfe45be50002530fcb9747bd975f4a.jpg

Interesting... that photo makes Dapol’s BR green look as bad as Hornby’s recent efforts on its BR(W) locos. Flat and dull or what... Do all manufacturers think BR green was different on WR locos? Does anyone know how it compares with the “correct” colour.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Interesting... that photo makes Dapol’s BR green look as bad as Hornby’s recent efforts on its BR(W) locos. Flat and dull or what... Do all manufacturers think BR green was different on WR locos? Does anyone know how it compares with the “correct” colour.

Can't comment really as I don't know. My Phone Camera may have weird ideas about colour but that pic is reasonably accurate but the Loft Lighting is strip/tube lighting with diffusers. Plenty of froth over on the Dapol section and some on A Nod to Brent.

Mine will be covered in crud once renumbered and detailed. The Chimney is a bit of a duff fit on mine, but otherwise it is a decent loco and 'looks the part' as far as I am concerned. If I were modelling that secondary WR line as well as the superior SR route, I would have to get another without Steam Pipes. 

P

• Like 3

Fluorescent strip lights can give a greenish colour cast. At least in film days I had a purplish filter for fluorescent lighting. However, a modern phone camera might have auto white balance, or else white balance is adjustable in software. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Tried some new Gangway Connectors today. Composite on the left has just a single Rubbing Plate attached to the original Gangway; the Brake on the right has a single bellows fitting.

I can't remember who I got these off but he used to post on here I think.

Thompson(1)_P2011933.jpg.e1a5890c62f12347fbb6a0a63b141b08.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Gettting a bit technical Bob Shephard, owner and paint chemist of Precision Paints until 2004, had the original Swindon livery panels of the finishes rom 1875 to 1945. He found that under the varnish there was actually only one shade used from 1881 to 1945. the differences came from the application of 5 coats of varnish in 1881 to none in 1945. In addition new paint technology had changed the manufacturing method by the end of WW2 and the 1945 panel used a synthetic gloss paint which had been impossible to produce in the days of mixing at the workshop with natural pigments hence the need to varnish.

The full story is here http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieslococolour.html

Personally I prefer the Bachmann colour. The only loco I have seen recently with a Hornby shade was a few years ago when Bahamas was on the turntable at York Museum. It looked a very work grey-green shade. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Getting link to work
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Recent production seems to have a problem with GW green.  Either too dark, too light, not green enough, etc. but the lining always appears too thick and colourful almost to the point of being garish.  Lining used to be more discreet which added to the livery, not overpower it!

Brian

'Bon Viveur and toy train critic'.:derisive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mr Duck,

It's good to hear that you have had a small increase in modelling mojo and I hope that you can maintain it. I, too, have had a slight return of mojo and am learning how to do etching artwork as I need cabs with rectangular front windows as fitted to auto-fitted 1076 cute panniers in the Plimuff area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2021 at 14:27, Mallard60022 said:

This damn year has passed and I am still not dealing with the lack of mojo to just get off my arse and do stuff. 

Losing a great RMW friend to Covid a few weeks back should have made me understand the urgent need to just buck up and get on..........should have, nut I am still struggling.

As noted by many others over the months of this pandemic, we are all reacting differently - and for a large number of people that means silently struggling to do anything.  Yes, many who have been fortunate to find the ability (whether financial or mental) to do stuff have been able to post great things to social media - but they aren't everyone.

On 04/03/2021 at 14:27, Mallard60022 said:

I did mend a couple of Thomas loco's for a neighbours little lad but hell, what's that eh?

I would argue that is one of the greatest things to have happened in the last 12 months - those little people have seen their world turned upside down and key aspects of their life taken away - the ability to socialize at school or outside-of-school activities - often with parents unable to provide as much attention they need as the parents also struggle with online work, etc.

So creating happiness for a young person in the midst of a pandemic is a terrific accomplishment in my world.

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2021 at 19:27, Mallard60022 said:

I am posting these links here from a great modeller on RMW: 145 Squadron.

This is so I can find his pics and notes easily.

What an inspiration this work is. Something to which I must aspire. 

This damn year has passed and I am still not dealing with the lack of mojo to just get off my arse and do stuff. 

Losing a great RMW friend to Covid a few weeks back should have made me understand the urgent need to just buck up and get on..........should have, nut I am still struggling.

Anyway here is some superb modelling from 145 Squadron, truly brilliant.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129134-southern-region-coaches-from-my-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=4221232

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129134-southern-region-coaches-from-my-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=4284150

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129134-southern-region-coaches-from-my-workbench/&do=findComment&comment=4345596

What have I done?  Built a few wagons and vans, fettled up a few brass sides for coaches and fitted some bloody gangway bellows. I did mend a couple of Thomas loco's for a neighbours little lad but hell, what's that eh?

Ar$£

What have you done? Helped our mates and me keep sane in our e mail group.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
Typing on me tablet with protective text.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

What a really kind and thoughtful post buddy. May the force be with you too. 

I should count my blessings as we have 'lost' some good people from our great hobby this past year, some of whom have gone without note. Then there are other old stagers that are having a really bad time, some of whom are being slagged off by thoughtless twerps who have not received their goods and just let rip rather than finding out what is happening.

Anyway, again thanks and to you Clive; I have actually been in the loft a couple of times this week, and run trains so all is not lost.

P

Good morning Phil,

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit more perky. And, actually running trains. Though I've tested a few new locos on my trainset, it hasn't really been run since November.

I can't wait to see restrictions lifted and I can entertain visitors again (yourself included, I hope). It's the only time it ever gets properly operated (or improperly if I'm driving!).

All the very best,

Tony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2021 at 09:17, Siberian Snooper said:

If you're venturing up into the nest, and playing trains, how about a few fots of you feeding the hungry caterpillar, Please.

20210308_182801.jpg.aab69cfe1dd1d3346b257686076c3c08.jpg

20210308_182724.jpg.853b51a854ee1c0b05d35f41d5ff8bc1.jpg

Apologies for OOF as I was using the phone.

34077 (left) is on a down semi fast from Salisbury to Exeter Central, about to feed the Hungry Caterpillar.

35019 is on the returning Up Okehampton/Surbiton car carrier Summer Timetable early 60s.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2021 at 10:22, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Yes photos! Otherwise it didn't happen. Or was that the sixties? 

20210308_182837.jpg.bdfdfa10cd052c10ba978fe86526523a.jpg

The two new uns Fritters + some of your stock

Thanks buddy. Both run like a silky smooth thing

I feel the need to explain this: left is the Surbiton to Okehampton Car Train (8 x GUV + Bulleid BSO, Mk1 RB and Bulleid CK, behind a MN, going west on the Down Through at The Junction. 34077 (escaped from Stewarts Lane for the summer), is on the Up Through on a semi fast stopper to Salisbury, with a beautifully built 3L Set (Comet) by David Wright, + 2 vans built by me, so out of sight. This is passing a Stopper from Exeter to Yeovil Town at Platform 1 with 30842 in charge, with  Bulleid (Baccy originals) 3 Set L 830 + additional Bulleid SO.

Nowt has been done to the loco's except  quick fix of paper discs. 

I have the Roof Boards for the GUVs; had them for two years and still not fitted!

Edited by Mallard60022
Okehampton, not Sidmouth! Derrr.
  • Like 15