SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

I think the most effective/successful layouts are those that have a plan and stick to it. Once I had a large 8-platform terminus with four-track approach. Then I thought why not make two of the platforms through roads to allow some roundy-roundy workings. I'd altered my initial plan and from then on it went downhill and I eventually lost interest.....

• Like 1

>>>My Midsomer Mallet layout uses the Bachmann Shillingstone signalbox.....

That's a shame, Brian :-) I can understand the enthusiasm for using available kits etc, but given your location firmly on the 'Bath Extension' then really its probably not the best choice. The only known SDJR Type 1 box north of Evercreech Jcn was at Evercreech New, and that was stone-to-floor with the original external bracing. Maybe the S&DRHT could persuade Bachmann to pay them a visit at MSN and produce kits of structures more appropriate to that end of the line?

But I digress....Templecombe would be nice to model, but I suspect a lot of work to fit in all the sidings and the spur around to the S&DJR, as well as all the LMS rolling-stock in addition to the SR items. Going to the other extreme, I've often toyed with the idea of the 'branch' station at Chard Junction as a separate model in its own right, even a chance to dabble with GWR rolling stock :-)

Sidmouth Junction perhaps?

Edited by RailWest
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back in my 20s I was well on the way with an EM layout set on a loop similar to Blea Moor on the S & C. I was quite happy to watch the trains go by. Then a house move forced a move to a smaller idea - a BLT! - but looking back I was never really interested in the operation... Further house moves precluded futher thoughts of anything!

Now, having begun to collect models of items that interest me - in my case these days it's 1960 & 70s west country I thought it would be good to build a setting to display them and take photos. Photography being another interest and it would also be another challenge as I've never done macro before...  I'm well on the way with something and I'll start a thread soon(ish). But my point is interests will change and you must be sure what will satisfy you.

Just my random thoughts, but these days I dont care if the trains don't move at all... and I appreciate models such as The Farthing Layouts ans The Oswestry Works diorama. The best bit of Penson is peering down the lanes and seeing a train move in the distance...

Thinking further I have a theory that movement of a model can spoil the illusion because you cannot scale nature: eg weight, mass, momentum, temperature, smell even the sound... apologies if I've started something there..! :)

But all the best and here's to the project whatever it turns out to be! :)

Cheers, Trevor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame, Brian :-) I can understand the enthusiasm for using available kits etc, but given your location firmly on the 'Bath Extension' then really its probably not the best choice. The only known SDJR Type 1 box north of Evercreech Jcn was at Evercreech New, and that was stone-to-floor with the original external bracing. Maybe the S&DRHT could persuade Bachmann to pay them a visit at MSN and produce kits of structures more appropriate to that end of the line?

Hello Chris

I agree about the signalbox - but my layout is 'essence of S&D' rather than 'pure S&D', and part of the income from sales was donated to the Shillingstone project. I am a full member of the S&DRHT and take every opportunity to convince Bachmann etc that Midsomer Norton deserves some attention. 

Regards

Brian

• Like 1

Good to hear you are sticking to your original site (probably). Frequently us modellers will start something and then lose interest because another idea seems better and we achieve little.

One consolation is that you can have Spams carrying the names of all considered locations. :angel:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Phil,

No chance to catch up yesterday, so I missed some of the doubts and tangential thoughts which are inevitable, or should be, at the planning stage. I've just revisited my original list to try to put myself back in the position you are in now. What was in my list doesn't matter, as your wishes and ideas will differ from mine, but I think the headings may help. I started with things I felt I "must have". There were four. PN achieves four out of four. Things that were "highly desirable" - five out of eight. On the debit side, things I felt I must "avoid at all costs". There were four, and all have been avoided. Then things to "avoid if possible". 50% success on that one.

So, as PN has worked so well for me, my conclusion is that if one makes sure that none of the things one most wants are missing, and none of those that one really hates are present, satisfaction is pretty well certain. All the rest is peripheral really, we can never have it all, and will spend our time in futile day dreams if we try. Does Honiton give you all that you must have, and avoid all that you don't want? If so, go for it! My list surprised me, as top of the must haves was good operational potential. And top of the "avoid at all costs"? Lack of operational interest!  I'd have been mad to ignore that, wouldn't I? But if that doesn't get onto your must have list, ignore it, as it won't matter.

• Like 2

Evenin' Phil,

If you haven't already seen B&R volume 69 'The Withered Arm' DVD then do so...it is excellent...early 60s footage of the ACE etc around the tunnel. It'll give you some useful info as to colours etc too.

Dave 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, thanks for that. If I can get my portals to be anywhere near the GB ones I'll be a proud old git.

I agree as they're probably the work of Geoff Taylor.Top class modelling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh dear, wavering yet again. I should not read so much about the area and get tempted to move just down (or up) the tracks.

Following some great advice, I am considering seriously the operational potential and Honiton's is rather limited; pah!

P

How about Exeter Central then? ;) The other day I came across a cutting from a very old RM with a track plan and an idea for a layout.....

Trevor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I get the feeling that you want something a bit more interesting operationally for when you might get bored with just trains running through. But perhaps not so complicated as one of the major junctions.

My offering would be Semley. It's on a gently curving stretch of track which is good visually. It has quite an interesting goods yard and a separate siding to shunt wagons for the milk trafffic. There are well-placed bridges to provide scenic breaks without needing to compromise much (given the space you have).

Anywhere east of Yeovil Jct has a greater number of short modellable trains.

Phil,

....why not list your top 10 considered priorities in absolute order e.g. if prototypical curves are what you value most then the layout will obviously be more straightforward & simple, whereas, prioritising operational complexity might introduce considerable compromises to the minimum radii.

This approach will almost automatically narrow your options right down.

Dave

• Agree 1

Stadman:not sure about how I would manage with the town and surrounds.

Fair comment, Honiton is elevated but runs through the town.

Someone mentioned Whimple on RM Web a while back, same line, small village which had a yard until around 1990.

• RMweb Gold

There is a view that says you take Dave's view, assessing the elements you most value, and design a layout that suits. Then look at what you know of the LSWR main line - and see which station most resembles your design. We shouldn't get hooked on places, more on building satisfying model railways. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a view that says you take Dave's view, assessing the elements you most value, and design a layout that suits. Then look at what you know of the LSWR main line - and see which station most resembles your design. We shouldn't get hooked on places, more on building satisfying model railways. 

Now that's a way forward Ian. Are you looking at the generic but deffo LSWR ?  I think the incorporation of the 'most valued elements' into a 'layout' will work; so, many thanks and to Dave (again).

I like the " ... a Nod to Brent" concept.

I'll go away and take quite a lot of time to consider/reconsider my options.

Many thanks again everyone.

P

Barry Norman designed Petherick that way - picked various North Cornwall features & merged them into a 'composite' version. Iain Rice also advocates a similar approach, the key being to keep things that could be found together. I do think that an exact copy of a location doesn't always work (with exceptions eg Bodmin) but with an idealised version you should be able to get something that satisfies your requirements & ''ticks as many boxes as possible'. And you get to choose / make up a name from local elements - Axeton?

PS - seem to remember Ian (Olddudders) was thinking of a Halwill Junction version called 'Beaworthy' - did that ever get anywhere?

• Like 2

...certainly not the only way to go railway modelling Rich but it has the advantage of greater 'ownership' by its creator, with consequently increased chances of completion.

Also, each of the railway companies had their own 'essence' and being able to create this in a fictional layout setting is at least equal to capturing it in an exact replica of a prototypical railway setting.

Dave.  

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

PS - seem to remember Ian (Olddudders) was thinking of a Halwill Junction version called 'Beaworthy' - did that ever get anywhere?

Ah, I hoped no-one would remember! I have the track (Peco 75) down, and it works, by and large. One platform half built. Il Dottore has built me the signalbox and the goods shed, as well as a rather nice pub that will go by the level crossing. Sadly, after the events of the last couple of years, most of the layout, and the considerable US HO layout that buts onto it both ends, bears a passing resemblance to Miss Havisham's wedding cake. Finding I was sharing the barn with snakes was a bit of a disincentive, too. I hope to roll up my sleeves and get on with things a bit more this year - but probably said that 12 months ago.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Joseph, I'll take a gander at Semley; hadn't considered that as it does not feature that much in my books. It tends to be 'mentioned'......

Reeve and Hawkins published a good book on Salisbury to Yeovil a couple of years ago. I have a copy stored at Dad's and will try to remember to look up the ISBN when I am there tomorrow.

• Like 1

Reeve and Hawkins published a good book on Salisbury to Yeovil a couple of years ago. I have a copy stored at Dad's and will try to remember to look up the ISBN when I am there tomorrow.

I think you probably mean this one (Reeve & Nicholas rather than Hawkins, but let's not be pedantic!):

http://tinyurl.com/noatnq5

This was vol.2 of the series.  Vol 1 = Basingstoke - Salisbury,   Vol 2 = Salisbury - Yeovil,   Vol 3 = Yeovil - Exeter.

Vol 4 has just been released, covering the branches & also containing some additional material (& corrections, possibly - don't know, haven't had chance to look through a copy).

• RMweb Gold

I think you probably mean this one (Reeve & Nicholas rather than Hawkins, but let's not be pedantic!):

http://tinyurl.com/noatnq5

This was vol.2 of the series.  Vol 1 = Basingstoke - Salisbury,   Vol 2 = Salisbury - Yeovil,   Vol 3 = Yeovil - Exeter.

Vol 4 has just been released, covering the branches & also containing some additional material (& corrections, possibly - don't know, haven't had chance to look through a copy).

Yes, that's the one.

Strangely, it was on sale at the local ironmongers in Gillingham.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Switching the discussion from the Honiton Station: Platform views thread, in the search for the perfect Yeovil & Exeter layout inspiration it is also worth remembering that stations on the route in time went through evolution with traffic growth, Seaton Junction being a prime example. Going back to the original track layouts can offer operational inspiration. For example, Axminster's layout saw simplification over time with the removal of the goods line from the Lyme Branch to the down-side yard and a crossover from the down yard to the up through involving a diamond crossing of the down main.

I have read that a re-building of Axminster was in prospect at one time with the station buildings planned to be located on an over-bridge adjacent to the existing road over-bridge. Island platforms with loops would provide additional operating flexibility. Architecturally, it would probably have looked like the rebuild at Templecombe, quite modern / art deco and only missing conductor rail from the scene. A similar story to Seaton station. So a 'what might have been' on an actual location as opposed to an additional station.     

One method I have used aid the thought process is to take photocopies of the wee maps in the Middleton Press book, enlarge/reduce so the scale is the same. Then I literally cut & paste elements of several stations together using the double track main line as the common datum to see what 'floats the boat'. 

For a concept station on Honiton Bank, study of the down yard design at Crewkerne could be relevant. The LSWR appears to have minimised the need for expenditure on earthworks (due to gradient) upon which to accommodate the yard by resorting to kick-backs (non-monetary!) and diamond crossings to make efficient use of the space. From a layout design perspective that is helpful if you need a compact layout as well as being operationally challenging.   

• Like 1

Hello Mr Duck,

Must've missed the previous discussion that has got your thread up to where it is today, so had a quick catch-up read, being a prototype mainline person myself.

I was interested in the roundy-roundy vs operational interest part of the discussion and how that relates to 'what works for you'. For what it's worth therefore...

Grantham is now into its eighth year as a layout construction project. That's a heck of a time to keep concentrating on the same thing so it must tick the right boxes on my own 'what works for you' list. I was nowhere near as disciplined as GN in deciding whether it was the right thing to do or not, I guess I just trusted a gut instinct that, right from the word go, it was the right sort of project for me. And you know what? Last month at Barrow Hill, I got to operate my layout for four hours continuously for the first time in fully set up condition - and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. And I can't wait till I get the chance to do it again! :senile:

Just thought I'd share that with you - good luck with the continued deliberations and I'll keep tuned for further developments.

• Like 2