SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Ummm, Modified Spam; yummy. Nice exhaust sound isn't it!

Thank you for bothering to do that. I do hope the lad likes Spams?

OK so the S15 has had a Hornby Decoder fitted and it runs as smoothly as a smooth snake on a smooth floor, so thank you N.H. Neil and the rapid delivery service of Track Shack.

Running in next is Evening Star so that I can see if I can fit a decoder in that and if that negotiates all my circuits and junctions I shall be well pleased.

Then there will be a surprise loco........................a very nice loco. Spams will like it...........................

OK I admit it, I'm messing about as a break from trickery as there will be a considerable amount of wire work for points going on very soon and that involves creeping and climbing about. 

Tea time..........................

Philter

• Like 5

No problem at all. Yes, quite a contrast in exhaust sound between the genetically modified Spam and the Manor. Smoke and steam just seems to drift out of the West Country but is expelled vigourously from the Manor.

The small chap is quite enamoured of "Big Bulleids" as they are known in our house. When he was very small, I was looking for an easy description and that stuck. Interestingly, and perhaps unsurprisingly, he sometimes confuses them with Britannias and 9Fs. He was keen to take a photo of it arriving at Highley:

post-22698-0-93447100-1503413828_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Is that one of these infamous double deck railways we keep hearing about in odd corners of the web?

For those who want to know it's a single level the upper bit is storage racks & there is under cabinet lighting behind the pelmet. 

Here's a better view of it below.

post-8647-0-96306100-1503424449_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Talking of smooth track work - to see how a prototypical steam engine bumps about- check out this video of a rebuilt meat tin cracking through a station around about 33 minutes in!

I see your meat tin wobbling, and raise you royalty being disdainful of inferior pw (three takes to prove the point):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2NPFkR8Xw

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For those who want to know it's a single level the upper bit is storage racks & there is under cabinet lighting behind the pelmet. 

Here's a better view of it below.

attachicon.gifWP_20170811_15_49_37_Pro.jpg

I think you have won the most Express Dairies tankers competition for the time being. Would you like to borrow a proper engine to haul it? S15 perhaps? :tomato:  :triniti:  :sarcastichand:  :mosking: Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

So today's efforts up The Junction were subdued really, however we now have an S15 and a 9F that perform very well with Hornby 8 Pin Decoders as recommended by Nelly of Rack Hack. It's early days, but that's fine with me as if there is a catasstrophy and there is a trickery explosion during testing and development of the controls etc., then the decoders are not hugely expensive (so far) if magic smoke appears. One of my DCC 80s produced some of that last evening but, despite getting very warm indeed, has survived.

I also placed, in a temp way, some more point motors. I have got some Gaugemaster versions of the Peco P11 and I can say that technically it is superior (reversible plug in wire harness....handy for linking two at crossovers for example) but I have not got one working yet so I can't comment on the performance. Good price as well.

I need a bit more 3mm foam for the Dairy & Station area. It is good as when you glue it down with PVA, then if it needs to come up, or you need to cut out the footprint of the Station buildings for example so that the buildings can be 'planted', it peels away quite nicely, unlike cork that I have found does not enjoy being taken up.

So that's another day.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I see your meat tin wobbling, and raise you royalty being disdainful of inferior pw (three takes to prove the point):

Cheers,

BR(W).

I've seen that before and I reckon it is one of the most exciting run pasts I have seen. That King was really hammering along. Wonderful stuff. Got a bit distracted with others on there as well. Lovely stuff....thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Told you so'

Bloomin decoder snobs.  Not a pop at our friend a few posts above either!  To be fair they don't work brilliantly in everything, but it is an OK device for the price, and smaller than most 8 pin jobs.  Drives with flywheels seem to suit them best.

Oh, all that GWR exhaust noise - it's back pressure, which is inefficient.  Modern, efficient exhausts (Kyl-chap, Lempor, Giesl, Lemaitre etc)  are softer - like a Spam/ex-spam, or dare I say it an A4.  Or A1....   The GWR 'sound' is nice to hear though, but not great engineering.

• RMweb Premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS5enSDYCu4

Proper engine in a watery place we all recognise. Just this weekend too.

Mr Softee

Talking of Kings, how about a run of your kit built jobbie sometime for us loyal followers.

It hasn't been chipped....sorry Rob. Would you like it back mate?

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Or the even bigger irony of marching from Pitt Street to Martin Place - which could be similar to marching from Princes St to Waverley station in Edinburgh (although the pictures suggest they did walk along a bit more of pitt Street than that)  :scratchhead: 

Depending on where they started in Pitt Street that could have been but a single step and a 90 degree turn. There is actually an establishment on Pitt Street where, I am reliably informed, the staff are dressed in similar, or sometimes less elaborate, styles to those in the photo. That would have involved a march of about 100 metres.

Other similar establishments are available.

• RMweb Premium

Ummm, Modified Spam; yummy. Nice exhaust sound isn't it!

Thank you for bothering to do that. I do hope the lad likes Spams?

OK so the S15 has had a Hornby Decoder fitted and it runs as smoothly as a smooth snake on a smooth floor, so thank you N.H. Neil and the rapid delivery service of Track Shack.

Running in next is Evening Star so that I can see if I can fit a decoder in that and if that negotiates all my circuits and junctions I shall be well pleased.

Then there will be a surprise loco........................a very nice loco. Spams will like it...........................

OK I admit it, I'm messing about as a break from trickery as there will be a considerable amount of wire work for points going on very soon and that involves creeping and climbing about. 

Tea time..........................

Philter

Nothing wrong with testing. A very important, and therapeutic, activity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS5enSDYCu4

Proper engine in a watery place we all recognise. Just this weekend too.

Mr Softee

It hasn't been chipped....sorry Rob. Would you like it back mate?

Phil

The weather looks decidedly worse than when I was down there a few weeks back. All I got was that big over-rated Tornado lump. Pah.

• RMweb Premium

Just to show what a Bulleid can sound like when going for it, here's a video taken on my phone at the Swanage Railway's Strictly Bulleid event in May 2017.

Phone mic note great but trust me it was superb.

And a second one...

Crud lighting conditions, late evening into the sun, but both were cracking climbs.

• Like 4

Cheers,

BR(W).

Considering it's the fastest running line in the UK, you'd think it would be a lot smoother - Ever seen a TGV bouncing around like that? Exactly.

• RMweb Gold

These locos from Swinedon are all well and good but not like real engines are they? Good looking South Western locos didn't need spare bits of copper and brass tacking on to improve their looks.

A rebuilt Bulleid was one of the best looking locos ever......and they could go.

When we refer to a King, there is only one class and that is a King Arfur. Elegant in the extreme.

No, I think we should concentrate on the real Western and have done with all these clotty cream, chocolate boxy locomotives puffing up and down their little branchlines, racing buses an'stuff.

I thank you.

post-14122-0-76808900-1503467363_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-35152300-1503467459_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

BR(W).

Must have been something being on the platform when that went through. Mind you the ride looks decidedly bouncy, I bet the lads on the footplate were hanging on.

Perhaps it needs a trailing truck to smooth the ride and some airsmoothed casing for good measure...

• RMweb Gold

Nothing wrong with testing. A very important, and therapeutic, activity.

Exactly. In order to keep motivation going on any layout construction, getting something running is a critical stage. Then trying out locos and stock helps confirm just how successful the layout has the potential to become. And the larger the layout the longer the construction time, so the more important the trial running becomes. Tedious but essential tasks need to be punctuated by reassuring running sessions.

• RMweb Premium

Exactly. In order to keep motivation going on any layout construction, getting something running is a critical stage. Then trying out locos and stock helps confirm just how successful the layout has the potential to become. And the larger the layout the longer the construction time, so the more important the trial running becomes. Tedious but essential tasks need to be punctuated by reassuring running sessions.

...and for larger layouts it is very important to stage the work so as to get trains moving as early as possible.

• Like 1