SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Can't spell Walschaerts..................

Walschaert_static.png

The key components of Walschaerts Valve Gear:

1. Eccentric crank (UK: return crank)
  2. Eccentric rod
  3. Reach rod
  4. Lifting link
  5. Lifting arm
  6. Reverse arm
  7. Expansion link
  8. Radius bar
  9. Crosshead arm (UK Drop link)
  10. Valve stem guide
  11. Union link
  12. Combination lever
  13. Valve stem
  14. Piston valve

I have checked the Crank Angle and it is as per diagram for H15s & N15s AFAICS.

OT: I believe it was 9 and 10 that failed on the inside gear of Tornado. Crash bash bang it went it did.

Phil

All seems to have gone a bit poxy bullied in the middle. :scratchhead:

Worse than that your lazy eldest moves into it. Bang goes the model railway workshop. :ireful: :ireful: :ireful:

Or even worse...

Mother-In-Law!

Mine has been eyeing our new garage and points out that when it's done there will be a lovely room above it that can become my office thus freeing the downstair bedroom with ensuite shower that is currently serving that purpose.

S(she doesn't realise it was designed with one purpose in mind which doesn't involve work, well at least not the paid sort.

Anyway I'e told her it won't happen - when doing the building plans I forgot to include somewhere to park her broomstick!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I think that is some sort of USA styler thing but IRCBA to find out. I may be imagining this but I think the French might have used some sort of poxy wheels on a few of their Class locomotives (and I mean Class locomotives not Locomotive Classes) but again IRCBATFO at this moment.

P

• RMweb Premium

I can look at diagrams like that all day and still not understand a thing. Ignorance is truly bliss.

Me too as they say these days, however this diagram is really good for showing where parts go and it is really only the position of 4 to 8 that needs to be thought out and, of course, the angle of the Crank  and that is available on many pics thank goodness.

Greetings dear hearts. Today I had to do some things around the Towers as SWMBO is back and has noticed that I do bu##er all other than fiddle with my bits. I did a few things and that seemed to work as I was left alone to get on with the Arthur. I have to say that the Instructions for the construction of what is a vert nice chassis (mark 3 Chassis and parts) and fittings are a little 'interesting' to follow; not for the inexperienced I'd say (sorry Dave at SEF). The diagrams are pretty good but the Slide Bar etch and associated VG parts confused the Duck as the 'on-side' (left) set up was drawn to the off-side (right) of the frames. I needed to look at that and read and reread the Instructions about 6 times before I got the idea of what was what. Oh dear, never mind.

So I have now fitted (both soldered of course as I got the fitting just right  :yahoo: for a change) the Dome and Safety Valves as per 30451 (wot this loco may well be),  constructed the Bogie and attached it temporarily to the frames and fitted the (very neat design IMO) Slide Bar sets to both sides of the frames.

I have also sorted the Coupling Rods to accept Crank Pin Bushes; not used those before. There was a little binding on one side but that was cured by fettling the holes in the Rods and also opening out the front Driving Wheel axle bushes just a tad. I had been suspicious that the front axle was not quite 'true' as I had not used a posh Jig to get the driver axle holes/bushes dead right. I will next time and I'll probably get a Poppy as they seem to be a damn simple device for achieving this and is endorsed my many. 

None of this work is finished yet. It all needs to come apart for painting & fitting the motor/gearbox. I'm having a mate look at helping me with that in a week or so. He has built loads of loco's  (EM) and does a very tidy job with his motors.

As advised I aim to have a motorised chassis with basic Connecting Rod/Crosshead/Pistons VG, (if possible, as some parts need to be attached to the Slide Bar unit before the SB is attached), that runs smoothly before any attempt to do the final Wallcharts parts of the VG . When I do that I believe the trick is to to do one side and then test that thoroughly before doing the other side. I also need to be ready and clear headed to do that. :scratchhead:

I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow to show the progress. :imsohappy:

Goodnight,

Duck.

Blimey os Dave still punting them out? I met him 40 years ago when he opened up a model shop 400 yards from my parent's house in East Grinstead, where I was still resident, which also happened to have a decent loft and where a good friend of mine and I built our first ECML project layout. As the said friend said "Only you could decide to build a model railway only to find a model shop open up within walking distance"

I was certainly his biggest customer for some years, but all things move on - I saw him at Warley a few years ago, still pushing on. Lovely guy, shame about the ex-wife, which incidentally shared the same name as my ex-wife!

Can't spell Walschaerts..................

Walschaert_static.png

The key components of Walschaerts Valve Gear:

1. Eccentric crank (UK: return crank)
  2. Eccentric rod
  3. Reach rod
  4. Lifting link
  5. Lifting arm
  6. Reverse arm
  7. Expansion link
  8. Radius bar
  9. Crosshead arm (UK Drop link)
  10. Valve stem guide
  11. Union link
  12. Combination lever
  13. Valve stem
  14. Piston valve

I have checked the Crank Angle and it is as per diagram for H15s & N15s AFAICS.

OT: I believe it was 9 and 10 that failed on the inside gear of Tornado. Crash bash bang it went it did.

Phil

Why has it got a BoxPok in the middle?

• RMweb Premium

It’s an American drawing, in the ‘20s and ‘30s a lot of their express engines had an upgrade with Boxpok wheels placed on the centre drivers, as being stronger to take the thrusts off the connecting rod than a spoked pair could. Here’s a picture of a B&O Pacific rebuilt like that.

post-26540-0-33798400-1539766988_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s an American drawing, in the ‘20s and ‘30s a lot of their express engines had an upgrade with Boxpok wheels placed on the centre drivers, as being stronger to take the thrusts off the connecting rod than a spoked pair could. Here’s a picture of a B&O Pacific rebuilt like that.

attachicon.gifBCBE2C31-AFDA-436F-96AB-93A33A9A7770.jpeg

Thanks for that

So is herr duckmeister planning a hybrid H15?

• RMweb Gold

Blimey os Dave still punting them out? I met him 40 years ago when he opened up a model shop 400 yards from my parent's house in East Grinstead, where I was still resident, which also happened to have a decent loft and where a good friend of mine and I built our first ECML project layout. As the said friend said "Only you could decide to build a model railway only to find a model shop open up within walking distance"

I was certainly his biggest customer for some years, but all things move on - I saw him at Warley a few years ago, still pushing on. Lovely guy, shame about the ex-wife, which incidentally shared the same name as my ex-wife!

I assume that was a move from Coulsdon, where his products had been sold at R Wills?

I assume that was a move from Coulsdon, where his products had been sold at R Wills?

I don't remember

After buying up Bob Wills' business he merged it with his own flat window moulding production and worked in a converted chapel in Forest Row. I didn't;t know he moved into Coulsdon, but I do remember when I saw him best part of a decade ago 'e were right gloomy about the future!

Great Western Railway Official Spotters Guide

small green lump, pannier tank

medium green lump, prairie tank

big green lump, Castle class

bigger green lump, King class

biggest green lump, 47xx

brown and cream lump, passengers inside

brown lump, cattle inside

grey lump, coal inside

everything else, Hall class

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Great Western Railway Official Spotters Guide

small green lump, pannier tank

medium green lump, prairie tank

big green lump, Castle class

bigger green lump, King class

biggest green lump, 47xx

brown and cream lump, passengers inside

brown lump, cattle inside

grey lump, coal inside

everything else, Hall class

County, Grange, Manor, Filthy Mogul 2.8.0s, Big Big Tanks? QAll feel sad as they have been missed out, especially those of colour.

Duke Dog

Looks like the last one you showed us. Are you sure you are not going G*R and making the same engine but different wheels.

Wait till you see my S15s.

M. Aunsell

County, Grange, Manor, Filthy Mogul 2.8.0s, Big Big Tanks? QAll feel sad as they have been missed out, especially those of colour.

Duke Dog

Wait till you see my S15s.

M. Aunsell

And whilst you're at it then...

post-20303-0-57657000-1539795450_thumb.png

101 111 reasons not to include this baby !

G.Rizzly

• Like 1