SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I am practising my strategy for removing parts affected by Carona. I am a little concerned about sniffing the Poly though as it's beak can give you a nasty nip.

Now, the question for today is, do I actually set up the work bench for a production line of Walruses?

Ar$£

The time has come...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I am practising my strategy for removing parts affected by Carona. I am a little concerned about sniffing the Poly though as it's beak can give you a nasty nip.

Now, the question for today is, do I actually set up the work bench for a production line of Walruses?

Ar$£

Isn't that the job of Mr and Mrs Walrus?

And what have big sea monsters got to do with toy trains?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

The plural of walrus is.... walrus!  Ain't the English language wonderful!

Roja

The plural if Fish is...….?  No, not Shoal you silly Billies. I ask as I also need to sort out a load of Dogfish, but not all of them are Kits. No, not baby Dogfish you silly Billies.

Fooled you all anyway as I actually made another Concrete. No, not because I'm constipated you silly Billies. This one was a little easier but is, of course, warped and runs like a three legged cat.

Here is a pic of the Hoody for Clive. Don't care if the boxes are upside down or the wrong type; they look more like oil boxes and will be covered in crud in any case.

Such fun....

P

20200310_161623-1.jpg.c5181e86baad2f55a35d93ce31040b0a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The plural if Fish is...….?  No, not Shoal you silly Billies. I ask as I also need to sort out a load of Dogfish, but not all of them are Kits. No, not baby Dogfish you silly Billies.

Fooled you all anyway as I actually made another Concrete. No, not because I'm constipated you silly Billies. This one was a little easier but is, of course, warped and runs like a three legged cat.

Here is a pic of the Hoody for Clive. Don't care if the boxes are upside down or the wrong type; they look more like oil boxes and will be covered in crud in any case.

Such fun....

P

20200310_161623-1.jpg.c5181e86baad2f55a35d93ce31040b0a.jpg

Very nice Phil.

The pre-hoody hoodies weren't generally known as hoodies (natch) but a common nickname was Clay Tips as of course they were unloaded by tipping through the end doors.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I think I had heard that name but certainly had forgotten it. These were short (9') wheelbase to fit the drops IIRC?

I shall be considering the Tarp cover but will need to look for proto pics first.  

Our friendly plate maker will be pleased that her stock arrives in good condition.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2020 at 20:31, St Enodoc said:

Thanks St. I actually found some 'wrecks' at Exmouth Junction and locally to that area on Mr Bartlett's excellent site. Some have 'Sheets'. I now find that it was the Roller Bearing Box examples that mainly ran on the main line workings to Stoke on Trent etc. The Oil Box versions hardly ever strayed out of Cornwall as far as I can tell from reading, and just went from Pits to Drops. Thus I shall build my second one as supplied by Ratio.

Who cares? Not me really.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, but.....

The oil box ones were different wagons entirely.  They were 10ft wheelbase conversions from assorted standard 5 plank wagons rather than the purpose built BR versions.  The BR versions did get used on traffic to/from the ball clay works around Meeth and, I think, Heathfield in Devon but I'm not sure what was used to serve the Dorest clay pits although that was also ball call and therefore possibly not suitable for your customer.

Sorry, but the clay wagons are a bit of a minefield and the model manufacturers struggle to get the combinations of parts right.  The 9ft clay tip/hoods did occasionally get roller bearings but only a few of them and only late in life - late '70's/early 80's.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether the correct axle boxes are important or not!

Jeremy 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Right that 's the Summer hols well and truly Bug88ed up!

According to the chief scientist, the peak of the corona lemonade problem will occur in 10-14 weeks, i.e. mid June, just when we're supposed to be doing our bit to congesting the traffic with our caravan.

Apparently folks like me with chronic lung conditions and oldfartitis are being advised to stay away from , well pretty much everything and everyone. SWMBO reckons that means we'll not be using the caravan again this year, and with the world coming to a financial crisis I suspect we'll get sweet FA if we decide to sell it.

I wouldn't mind if I could get access to the loft, but its chock full of daughters' stuff from her divorce.

Ah well, looks like another summer of not a lot happening - hopefully I'll at least be able to get the legs working

Right, rant over!

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, jbg said:

Yes, but.....

The oil box ones were different wagons entirely.  They were 10ft wheelbase conversions from assorted standard 5 plank wagons rather than the purpose built BR versions.  The BR versions did get used on traffic to/from the ball clay works around Meeth and, I think, Heathfield in Devon but I'm not sure what was used to serve the Dorest clay pits although that was also ball call and therefore possibly not suitable for your customer.

Sorry, but the clay wagons are a bit of a minefield and the model manufacturers struggle to get the combinations of parts right.  The 9ft clay tip/hoods did occasionally get roller bearings but only a few of them and only late in life - late '70's/early 80's.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether the correct axle boxes are important or not!

Jeremy 

Ah, right. I give up and it doesn't matter!:wacko::ohmyclear:

Thanks though as it means I can just quietly pass them on.....I am sure Senior Fritters won't mind.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Right that 's the Summer hols well and truly Bug88ed up!

According to the chief scientist, the peak of the corona lemonade problem will occur in 10-14 weeks, i.e. mid June, just when we're supposed to be doing our bit to congesting the traffic with our caravan.

Apparently folks like me with chronic lung conditions and oldfartitis are being advised to stay away from , well pretty much everything and everyone. SWMBO reckons that means we'll not be using the caravan again this year, and with the world coming to a financial crisis I suspect we'll get sweet FA if we decide to sell it.

I wouldn't mind if I could get access to the loft, but its chock full of daughters' stuff from her divorce.

Ah well, looks like another summer of not a lot happening - hopefully I'll at least be able to get the legs working

Right, rant over!

Van could be good for self-isolating? The whole think is a great big pah!  3 to 4 months and then not going away; bloody hell. I'm supposed to be going to a wedding in LLangollen in June and the Groom works at Chelsea FC where some are already infected, so I reckon that might be off. Real big shame for them but maybe safer for me/us?

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 3

It is a - I had an email from my lung consultant telling me he's 'deeply concerned' about me, which sort of makes you sit up and take notice, that it could possibly be quite serious!

We're also concerned for our daughter - a single mum, as she could find herself stuck at home with her 3 year old daughter and we couldn't go near her. I have visions of SWMBO going over to live with her while she's ill and being away from me for 28 days all in .

I'm not looking forward to the reaction when she sees how much dust a single man can ignore!

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks St. I actually found some 'wrecks' at Exmouth Junction and locally to that area on Mr Bartlett's excellent site. Some have 'Sheets'. I now find that it was the Roller Bearing Box examples that mainly ran on the main line workings to Stoke on Trent etc. The Oil Box versions hardly ever strayed out of Cornwall as far as I can tell from reading, and just went from Pits to Drops. Thus I shall build my second one as supplied by Ratio.

Who cares? Not me really.

P

@coline33 is your man for all china clay wagon and traffic matters. He used to run the Yahoo Group dedicated to it before Yahoo made a pig's whatsit of them all.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

@coline33 is your man for all china clay wagon and traffic matters. He used to run the Yahoo Group dedicated to it before Yahoo made a pig's whatsit of them all.

Ta buddy. The Clays are really not of importance but I do appreciate your link. Ms Turnslowlee will have to be a Pasty maker instead. 

Have changed my anti virus programme to Walrus bogies. That's enough to make me calm and serene. I have another half dozen at least; such fun.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

It is a - I had an email from my lung consultant telling me he's 'deeply concerned' about me, which sort of makes you sit up and take notice, that it could possibly be quite serious!

We're also concerned for our daughter - a single mum, as she could find herself stuck at home with her 3 year old daughter and we couldn't go near her. I have visions of SWMBO going over to live with her while she's ill and being away from me for 28 days all in .

I'm not looking forward to the reaction when she sees how much dust a single man can ignore!

Ensure you take great care Smiffy. If you are self isolated then little modelling tasks can help as I am finding. I also have loads of figures that need painting; something that would normally be last on any list I might be arsed to make.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Think I could do with a bit of isolation.  I've got three locos, six coaches, two parcels vans and several wagons in need of attention or finishing touches. Instead I have to go and see if the vultures have left anything on the shelves at Alco or Tesdi. Failing that it could be sitting on the edge of town to hijack a delivery truck. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Think I could do with a bit of isolation.  I've got three locos, six coaches, two parcels vans and several wagons in need of attention or finishing touches. Instead I have to go and see if the vultures have left anything on the shelves at Alco or Tesdi. Failing that it could be sitting on the edge of town to hijack a delivery truck. 

I'm planning to eat my spare coaches in an emergency.

P

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

What about the sea lions in Bolton? They were pretty isolated. 

Were they left in a siding for ages or had the Zoo closed but they were forgotten due to being underwater when it shut?

Yo

P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm planning to eat my spare coaches in an emergency.

P

A few engineers wagons should keep us going for a while. I've got a fleet (or should it be shoal?) of Dogfish and some Catfish on the go. Suppose I could make some Shark Fin Soup as well. Unfortunately my bogie hoppers were deemed out of time so were sold a while ago, no Walrus Burgers I'm afraid.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Funny 2