SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yey! Piccies :dancing:

Well cropped so you can't see how much I haven't done around the place!!!!!!! However, as you well know, running some stuff is quite a good motivator.....hopefully!

Your trackwork at The Junction looks good buddy.

P

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

I'm thinking the 94xx is on the back!

All the best, Phil.

TONY

Cheers pal. I wish with that 94XX, however, unlike certain other 'local railways', apart from St David's up to Central, Bankers were not required due to the superior performance and ability of the SR Engines :angel:

We all knew that though..........:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Mallard60022 changed the title to SOS Junction. Not much modelling included. Springtime is approaching, so onwards........
  • RMweb Gold

Speaking of the Hungry Caterpillar, I'd like to see the extended version if possible, to see how well the extra bits cope with the curved track and provide a dark(er) interior.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2021 at 13:25, Stubby47 said:

Speaking of the Hungry Caterpillar, I'd like to see the extended version if possible, to see how well the extra bits cope with the curved track and provide a dark(er) interior.

Lovely to hear from you, however I have a confession Stu. I have not fitted those body parts beyond the Mouth and thorax (yet?), the reason being I may fit one more part, but then there will be some sort of 'curtain' in the tunnel to make it look black and maybe brush the stock rooves and there will be a removeable but cloth type cover over and behind where the Tunnel bore would have been. This for easy access in case of incident.  The scenic break will be just behind the Tunnel mouth. Need space for the smoke machine as well.........:sclerosis:

I feel really guilty now......:( image.png.c8c6a110c7827cfa75a8b83c58094f43.png

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 months later...
  • Mallard60022 changed the title to SOS Junction. Not much modelling included. WTF happens next is a mystery!
12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I realise the FB has no central support yet. It needs to look like this and I'll have to make it. I won't need the Ivy!

1760849397_image(4).jpg.a8f89d31f645bb1d393d9d3fa5876e6e.jpg

This is one of many Pictures taken by the lovely man, now departed, Graham Bean. He and Stubby some years back, visited The Junction and thus I have a huge collection of reference pictures.

Phil

I'm confused now... are you modelling Seaton or Ivybridge? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Wow two progress posts within 24 hours. That jab must have done you some good. Great to see:dancing:

Thanks matey. Got to get on when I can. Strange how one gets going again after months of dawdling. Seeing your huge project is inspiring. Thank you.

Tomorrow is another day. I await further supplies of nice, thin, sheet wood for more Platform tops. Basswood is expensive ( £7.80 per sheet....ouch), so I have ordered 4 Spruce at £1.20 per sheet. I could use Balsa for the Branch Side Platform (P3) as it will never get leaned on!! I shall see what the Spruce is like when it gets glued down. Any sign of warping and it gets replaced for Platform surfaces.

Due to access issues I need to get on with the rear/furthest areas that need critical work (unlike simple scenic grassland). That means I won't be leaning over fragile stuff at the front of the boards in the Station area. That will be one of the last things I'll be sorting.

P

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I must learn to be more observant.....

I was out at SJ back in December and failed to notice the absence of what should have been blocking the attached shot!!!

Anybody know exactly when it was demolished?

John

2020.12_Rail_G194er [Seaton Jn].jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I heard it was demolished on FB quite recently, but was banned from commenting at the time and that post is long lost now. Must have been later last year.

Nice view of that concrete fence and then that change of fencing further down; great help John, thanks..

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I heard it was demolished on FB quite recently, but was banned from commenting at the time and that post is long lost now. Must have been later last year.

Nice view of that concrete fence and then that change of fencing further down; great help John, thanks..

P

Someone has cleared the old station garden on the other side of the concrete fence and there is now a fairly clear view of it from the road side. If it will assist, I'll grab a couple of pics next time I'm out that way.

Here's one minus the train, and I still didn't notice the bridge was missing.....

John

2020.12_Rail_G201cr [Seaton Jn].jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. A couple of locals, an older lady and her son, have cleared most of that station site. The late Graham Bean told me he thought they were being a bit exploited by the owner, however they seemed to really enjoy doing it.  That house definitely needs to be sold and brought into a small business premises with accommodation. I suspect only a true railway buff would want it otherwise, in such an isolated location.

Looks like some paintwork on the end has been carried out.

Also, the wall detail now the bridge has gone, is very useful as well thanks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing very exciting but I have been trotting along with the Platform surfaces and some bits and bobs.

I shall start at the east (London) end and work my way down to the west end (Exeter).

Catch/Trap Pits by the Road Bridge. I don't like the one I have done, hence the empty one, awaiting my decision on material to use. This is almost the east end scenic break.

20210526_152508.jpg.1c3b7e788a62878c2b62a4841ff92156.jpg

Part built Tavern Car (Modified for late 50s/early 60s version) for clearance duties. I have just completed the basic Platform ends here. A mixture of Basswood and Plasticard.

20210526_152313.jpg.0b5adbd68309699b96b09c5c30b2fec6.jpg

Branch Platform end at the back; gap where the Down side Cutting side is; Down Platform that needs a little more infill to the left of the far Footbridge Step Support; I need to check my Pics for the actual space required.

Foreground is where the Station Building is going to sit, either on the baseboard/in a hole 'in the platform' as requested of the builder, or on the Platform. If the latter I shall have to ensure not 'seating gaps' where building meets surface. Hence the temporary Sheet Wood and Card placements so I can check the 'fit' when I get the Building later this year. The footprint of the Building sits on the baseboard. Thanks Stu.

The Foot bridge is almost where it will sit. The off set, central support, leaves room for  the run of Point Rodding.

20210526_152336.jpg.91739bd0d6ced2ae9aa0a2d79e115886.jpg

The west end shows the barrow Crossing made from Coffee Stir Sticks and bits of scarp (and it shows sadly) and the Box sitting in its' nest/hole. Stu's lovely Store Hut on the Up Platform; the very long Public Footpath Bridge passes over just to the left of this hut! The Tanker sits approximately where the Tanker Pump-out and Washout Plants will be constructed.

Up sidings 'Trap Drag' just to middle/bottom right. Busted Dapol UQ signal sits in it's place; will I mend it or just work out a manual way of ops? Who knows?

20210526_152425.jpg.096948a194706007448589b884602ff3.jpg

That's about it for now and the main Station area work plan for now is more or less complete.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Duff spelling as usual.
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't use the station building footprint as gospel - it's wrong !  Will send a new one asap.

And don't draw happy faces on the next one either..., this is a serious hobby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Don't use the station building footprint as gospel - it's wrong !  Will send a new one asap.

And don't draw happy faces on the next one either..., this is a serious hobby.

I seemed to remember you said that so that's why I ain't stuck those bits of Platform down Stu. Thanks for the warning though.

I am going to mock up some of nearby building faces & footprints and work out the main road and Forecourt area so I just need to get an idea of what space I had left. 

back to staring at loads of pics for a while, including these.

1549292395_images(12).jpg.ca27a2a086244af7a8f8f7cb923faa0b.jpg

1057224756_images(35).jpg.b866a650686a3d83e143c2d848f12479.jpg

Img_0686.jpg.2824faeb3732c283dfed745630f7570c.jpg

Img_0687.jpg.99ecb3fba169437faf9dfeac94d6f6a8.jpg

I hope these might also be useful?

P

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1