SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to do with Banarama, but with Mr Ducks tolerance, i would like to ask a serious question :no:  Have any of you chaps had experience with using Limonene as an alternative for the usual plastic solvents?

I am in the unfortunate position that due to my respiratory issues I have been banned from using most superglues, epoxy resin or anything containing solvents. PVA and acrylic paints are ok, but have heard that Limonene could replace Mek-Pak etc?

This has forced a dramatic change of plan, all the O gauge stuff is being sold, the layout has gone and the new plan is to go back to 4mm using mainly proprietary stuff (so limiting the amount of kit building) and focus mainly on weathering and the scenic & building side of things. I even purchased a couple of Pecoboo bullhead points turnouts and one of those lovely Hattons Barclays...

Breathless in Beds

Yes, I've used it.

Limonene is a slow acting solvent which smells lemony(!). Got mine from Hobby Holidays. Very useful for laminating layers of plasticard as it's doesn't turn the whole lot to mush. The downside is that it doesn't instantly bond like MekPak etc so you may have to hold the pieces together for a while.

Really sorry to hear you've had to give up the last layout, it was just starting to look very good.

I use the Australian equivalent of lImonene a lot. As Chris says, it's particularly good for laminating styrene sheet.

• RMweb Premium

They had a stand at Railex. The range will be expanded to include backs to the low relief fronts, currently available, which will make the range a lot more useful.

So you could buy one of each and make a full house?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having seen surgeons cauterize a bleeding artery with a diathermy it isn't that much different to arc welding.  Zap and it is all over.

The funniest thing when I was in theaters as a student nurse, I suggested to one of the orthopedic surgeons that it might be a good idea to get the junior doctors to practice using hand tools like chisels (called ostoblast by surgeons)  and hand drills in the hospital workshop as when I was in engineering I use to treat metal with more care than they did living bone. He said "What a good idea". :yes: :yes:

Interesting Clive. When I was a mechanical engineering student I did an option on biomedical engineering, run by Prof Duncan Dowson who was a pioneer of artificial joints. I often wondered why engineering technicians couldn't support or assist surgeons in operating theatres to make the best combination of medical and technical expertise available. I'm still wondering.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting Clive. When I was a mechanical engineering student I did an option on biomedical engineering, run by Prof Duncan Dowson who was a pioneer of artificial joints. I often wondered why engineering technicians couldn't support or assist surgeons in operating theatres to make the best combination of medical and technical expertise available. I'm still wondering.

In the hospital of which I was Chaplain, there was a proficient, but very modest, orthopaedic consultant, who always used to describe his work as 'simple carpentry'.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Can I take the stitches out? I use to enjoy doing that.

I am not sure if I have any photos of me in my nurses uniform despite being a nurse for 20 years.

I will have a rummage to see if I do have any. If I do next time the gang start posting pictures of pretty actresses dressed as nurses I will post one of me. Now that is a threat.

Stitches out Friday...you free?

Nurse photo....ummmmm, can't wait.

I'm medicated already so the shock will be mimimal.

Bog cart operating at WST today.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently they do use a medical grade superglue for holding awkward wounds together for healing. Eek.

I think the Yanks invented it in Vietnam or Korea or some other thing thay fu###d up?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Having seen surgeons cauterize a bleeding artery with a diathermy it isn't that much different to arc welding.  Zap and it is all over.

The funniest thing when I was in theaters as a student nurse, I suggested to one of the orthopedic surgeons that it might be a good idea to get the junior doctors to practice using hand tools like chisels (called ostoblast by surgeons)  and hand drills in the hospital workshop as when I was in engineering I use to treat metal with more care than they did living bone. He said "What a good idea". :yes: :yes:

When SWMBO was training to be the lifetime OT she was, at Musgrove park in Taunton, shw had to witness an Orthopedic op where the surgeon was using a Black and Decker Drill. She fainted and had to be removed from the Theatre (I suspect she was pleased about that in reality.)

• RMweb Gold

They had a stand at Railex. The range will be expanded to include backs to the low relief fronts, currently available, which will make the range a lot more useful.

I had a good look at them but the thing which put me off was that what appeared to be pre-printed windows (I assume to be part of the kit) all seem to come with very starkly white frame etc detail.  But presumably they could be replaced with Microstrip and coloured more appropriately for earlier periods before white woodwork became de rigeur.

• RMweb Gold

I had a good look at them but the thing which put me off was that what appeared to be pre-printed windows (I assume to be part of the kit) all seem to come with very starkly white frame etc detail.  But presumably they could be replaced with Microstrip and coloured more appropriately for earlier periods before white woodwork became de rigeur.

They are a decent thick card and stick well to the MDF with Roket. They do take paint OK but it's possible to delaminate the card if you paint too much.

• RMweb Gold

I think the Yanks invented it in Vietnam or Korea or some other thing thay fu###d up?

Phil

It does work, used on me once out in Aus and with a bit of tape to help keep things in place until everything has sett nicely over a couple of days.  However removing the supporting tape definitely wasn't the nicest experience.

• RMweb Premium

Stitches out Friday...you free?

Nurse photo....ummmmm, can't wait.

I'm medicated already so the shock will be mimimal.

Bog cart operating at WST today.

P

I am heading west on Friday, DEMU Showcase in Burton on Trent, so could go by the way of Up the Junction.

If I head east from here the next stop is called Holland/Netherlands.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am heading west on Friday, DEMU Showcase in Burton on Trent, so could go by the way of Up the Junction.

If I head east from here the next stop is called Holland/Netherlands.

That's really thoughtful C however I'm not sure how I will feel after the removal of said sutures. How about a visit to SOSJ when I've got my head reattached correctly (is that possible? )We could combine that with a shufty at my diseasels that I need to move on (some are DCC Sound and EM but I have the OO wheels sets). Are any of your DEMU mates DCC fiends?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

That's really thoughtful C however I'm not sure how I will feel after the removal of said sutures. How about a visit to SOSJ when I've got my head reattached correctly (is that possible? )We could combine that with a shufty at my diseasels that I need to move on (some are DCC Sound and EM but I have the OO wheels sets). Are any of your DEMU mates DCC fiends?

P

Hi Phil

They all take the micky out of me because I am a born again Luddite and they cannot run their DCC carp n-gins on my train set. Basically I am in a gang of two me and Paul Wade aka Lyddrail, stand out as not being DCC friendly.

Re visit to SOSJ, yes please. Will you be up to checking if Digitarins have moved the stock around the shelves on 5th June?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

They all take the micky out of me because I am a born again Luddite and they cannot run their DCC carp n-gins on my train set. Basically I am in a gang of two me and Paul Wade aka Lyddrail, stand out as not being DCC friendly.

Re visit to SOSJ, yes please. Will you be up to checking if Digitarins have moved the stock around the shelves on 5th June?

Sigh. DC worked for all the best layouts for decades. Why is it not likely to do just as well now? I’ve used DCC for more than 20 years, but like scale, gauge, era - so what? If DC does what you want stick with it.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sigh. DC worked for all the best layouts for decades. Why is it not likely to do just as well now? I’ve used DCC for more than 20 years, but like scale, gauge, era - so what? If DC does what you want stick with it.

Digitrains.....yes all being well. We can discuss SOSJ by PM later

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Shock, horror  :no: - If I do manage to get a OO trainset going it will be DC unlike my previous O gauge with DCC sound. Spent the morning painting a short length of Pecaboo bullhead track using Lifecolor acrylics, to see if 4mm is like 7mm from further away. Tolerably pleased with the initial result, now for some ballast testing.

Beds Platelayer

gallery_8865_4100_365797.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

DCC is great if that is how you wish to run your railway. I find things like lights and noise sound unnecessary for my needs but others get a thrill out of them.  We all have our own desires from our hobby.

• Like 1

DCC is great if that is how you wish to run your railway. I find things like lights and noise sound unnecessary for my needs but others get a thrill out of them.  We all have our own desires from our hobby.

I had a street-car like that once !

M.Brando