SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Good morning chaps & chapesses.  Just dropping in again after being awol & generally out of circulation for quite some time.

Have I missed anything important?  Do I need to read back to catch up on all the burning issues?

We were scheduled to be away in Abergavenny late May / early June  -  Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley etc.  -  but a few days beforehand my leg (which some will remember had been playing me up since mid-March) decided it wanted to try hospital food instead of Welsh cakes & Y Fenni cheese so it turned into a tree trunk, made me feel like it was going to explode & took me off to RD&E, Wonford.  They strapped me down, attacked me with lots of sharp, pointy things, drained an arm of blood & replaced it with an antibiotic cocktail (OK, maybe some of that's exaggerated but it makes the story sound better).

Cutting a long story short, after a few days the microbiology people managed to grow something in a petri dish from one of the samples they'd taken so they were able to target it with a specific antibiotic.  To quote the rather lovely pharmacy nurse "this is the domestos of antibiotics"  -  that's one of those things you don't forget (as, indeed, was the pharmacy nurse!  They do say that every cloud has a silver lining - I still miss her  .  .  .  .   I'm sure she's making someone, somewhere, very happy).

They eventually let me out in time - just! - for my 70th, not that I remember much about it - I slept through most of it.

As for the leg's decision to eat at Wonford rather than Abergavenny  -  well, nowhere near as bad as I had feared.  Definitely not cordon bleu, but reasonably palatable if somewhat sparse.

8 weeks on & the swelling still won't go down (ooo, errr, missus  .  .  .  .) so my leg's clamped in a high-compression bandage in an attempt to squeeze out the remaining fluid.  I had "a session" this morning with the delightful Chloe.  She removed the bandaging, washed, massaged, creamed & generally fondled the offending limb, then re-dressed it.  By all accounts, many a government minister would pay a small fortune for such treatment but I got it all for nothing - isn't the NHS wonderful!

As you can no doubt imagine, over the last 4 months RMWeb, toy trains & life in general have taken something of a back seat.  Apart from anything else, access to the loft was nigh-on impossible so little chance to do anything constructive.  On top of that, I've been in that "limbo" state of being peed off with doing nothing but having no appetite for doing anything.  Don't worry Phil, different causes, but I know exactly how you feel.

Anyway, hopefully things now on the up, life back to its usual (ab)normal self & I can make some small contribution to the world before we all implode under the combined pressures of Boris, Brexit, Trump sanctions and North Korean missiles.

Anyone want anything measuring/photographing at SJ while the weather's OK?

Take care all.

Well my friend. That was a bit of a blow up (see what I did there?) No jokes about pulling your leg and certainly no more talk about Chloe fondling your scenic bandages if you please. I do hope you are back in action sharpish (just a small scratch Mr Seasider). Sounds like you had some interesting challenges?

So, photo's eh? Well dear boy here be a challenge maybe. I have thought about two large photshopped end backscenes for the layout, one as if facing north west (towards the hillside as if looking from the SB area towards the Incline that skirts that hillside to the south, as in my signature pic on here) and the other looking towards and way beyond the road bridge at the east end of the station, but mainly that range of low hills over Axminster way (I can supply a view of that if required).

It is actually the far distant hills and trees that I would work with, the west view being distinctive and still recognisable today. I have some generic shots taken nearby a few years ago and they could be used, but that was mid October and not quite 'the best'. If someone happened to bein the area and might be able to telephoto some hillside shots that would be brillo.

The plan is that I have a firm locally that can produce 'banner style' photoscenes on a variety of material(s) and have been interested in producing some scenic sheets for me as they have never done such a job before. I have to thank PMP of the parish for the original ideas for this and many folk on here have used similar techniques (CK/ROB on ANTB for example).

Weirdly I am now inspired to get out the plaster bandage and attack the Incline!

TB

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

There are certain people of whom I never ask that question unless I have time to listen to a four hour report on their medical history.

I wondered why you suddenly had an appointment the last time I approached you ………………………………...but there is no escape, I can do all that graphic informing on here. I am even more fascinating than the Ancient Mariner (and I am not talking about the ex Argyle striker of many moons ago).

P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I wondered why you suddenly had an appointment the last time I approached you ………………………………...but there is no escape, I can do all that graphic informing on here. I am even more fascinating than the Ancient Mariner (and I am not talking about the ex Argyle striker of many moons ago).

P

I think most of the Grimsby Town squad must be ancient the way they play :)

• Funny 3

14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Strikers, squads?  What happened to centre forwards and teams and other positions I could relate to?  Stay away for a few decades and this is what happens!:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Brian.

Strikers, squads?  What happened to centre forwards and teams and other positions I could relate to? Said Brian, posting from the land that gave us "soccer". :jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Strikers, squads?  What happened to centre forwards and teams and other positions I could relate to? Said Brian, posting from the land that gave us "soccer".>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just live here!:D

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Hope you get back on both legs soon!

and the same to you.  Looks as though we're both in similar situations albeit for very different reasons.

"Keep your leg up"  they say.  If only it was that simple!

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

(just a small scratch Mr Seasider).

I always laugh at that as well - I suspect you find it as funny as I do.

Whatever happened to that phrase from our youth  -  "just a little prick" ?   Much more descriptive of what's heading your way (how can shoving a needle in your arm be described as a little scratch?) and probably much more accurate on a number of levels  .  .  .  .

Where's that nursey bloke when you need him?

<  snip  >

one as if facing north west (towards the hillside as if looking from the SB area towards the Incline that skirts that hillside to the south, as in my signature pic on here) and the other looking towards and way beyond the road bridge at the east end of the station, but mainly that range of low hills over Axminster way (I can supply a view of that if required).

Don't think my camera will give you the quality you'll need, but I know a man who might be able to help, as long as I can catch him in the right mood.  Leave it with me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Whatever happened to that phrase from our youth  -  "just a little prick" ?   Much more descriptive of what's heading your way (how can shoving a needle in your arm be described as a little scratch?) and probably much more accurate on a number of levels  .  .  .  .

Don't think my camera will give you the quality you'll need, but I know a man who might be able to help, as long as I can catch him in the right mood.  Leave it with me.

Hi Graham,

Ah! the phrase you quoted......We use to have a consultant who said that as he administered the local anesthetic to the area he was operating on. The look on the chaps faces, and it was always chaps, while having their vasectomy operation. :swoon:

As for a small scratch, that's all it is. I use to teach other staff how to take blood samples. Having easy to locate veins, the first person they would practice on was me. As I was willing to be the victim I hope it gave them confidence as I showed I had confidence in them. :ok:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 01:13, devonseasider said:

His name was Justin :jester:

• Funny 3

Still on the new topic -

His Lordship was in the study when the butler approached and coughed discreetly.

"May I ask you a question, My Lord?"

"Go ahead, Carson ," said His Lordship.

"In 'The Times' I found a word the exact meaning of which I am not too certain."

"What word is that?" asked His Lordship.

"Aplomb," My Lord.

"Now that's a difficult one to explain. I would say it is self-assurance or complete composure."

"Thank you, My Lord, but I'm still a little confused about it."

"Let me give you an example to make it clearer. Do you remember a few months ago when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived to spend a weekend with us?"

"I remember the occasion very well, My Lord. It gave the staff and myself much pleasure to look after them."

"Also," continued the Earl of Grantham, "do you remember when Will plucked a rose for Kate in the rose garden?"

"I was present on that occasion, My Lord, ministering to their needs.

"While Will was plucking the rose, a thorn embedded itself in his thumb very deeply."

"I witnessed the incident, My Lord, and saw the Duchess herself remove the thorn and bandage his thumb with her own dainty handkerchief."

"That evening the hole the rose made in his thumb was very sore. Kate had to cut his venison for him, even though it was extremely tender."

"Yes, My Lord, I did see everything that transpired that evening."

"And do you remember the next morning while you were pouring coffee for Her Ladyship, Kate inquired of Will in a loud voice,

'Darling, does your prick still throb?'

And you, Carson, did not spill one drop of coffee?

That, Carson, is aplomb.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:26, raymw said:

Still on the new topic -

His Lordship was in the study when the butler approached and coughed discreetly.

"May I ask you a question, My Lord?"

"Go ahead, Carson ," said His Lordship.

"In 'The Times' I found a word the exact meaning of which I am not too certain."

"What word is that?" asked His Lordship.

"Aplomb," My Lord.

"Now that's a difficult one to explain. I would say it is self-assurance or complete composure."

"Thank you, My Lord, but I'm still a little confused about it."

"Let me give you an example to make it clearer. Do you remember a few months ago when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived to spend a weekend with us?"

"I remember the occasion very well, My Lord. It gave the staff and myself much pleasure to look after them."

"Also," continued the Earl of Grantham, "do you remember when Will plucked a rose for Kate in the rose garden?"

"I was present on that occasion, My Lord, ministering to their needs.

"While Will was plucking the rose, a thorn embedded itself in his thumb very deeply."

"I witnessed the incident, My Lord, and saw the Duchess herself remove the thorn and bandage his thumb with her own dainty handkerchief."

"That evening the hole the rose made in his thumb was very sore. Kate had to cut his venison for him, even though it was extremely tender."

"Yes, My Lord, I did see everything that transpired that evening."

"And do you remember the next morning while you were pouring coffee for Her Ladyship, Kate inquired of Will in a loud voice,

'Darling, does your prick still throb?'

And you, Carson, did not spill one drop of coffee?

That, Carson, is aplomb.

I feel a prick...……...of conscience for not updating you all. That is all. I have suffered an outage. Did I mention that I had acquired a shorty set? I also seem to have lost the ability to alter my Signature and I need to as it has gone away. 

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I feel a prick...……...of conscience for not updating you all. That is all. I have suffered an outage. Did I mention that I had acquired a shorty set? I also seem to have lost the ability to alter my Signature and I need to as it has gone away. 

Ar$£

I thought that was what you wanted? Anyway, on my screen it's still there.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

my Signature ....... has gone away. 

Hey Phil,

Are you viewing on a mobile device?

I can't see my signature on my own posts on my mobile but I can on the laptop. As the Saint has said, your signature is visible to me.

C.Nasine

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is to me on my PC, but I can't now find the edit facility for rearranging the daft signatures that I sometimes use in Edit profile etc. stuff.

Don't care but I fancy changing the thing just because I can (or should be able to).

Ta mate.

P

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes it is to me on my PC, but I can't now find the edit facility for rearranging the daft signatures that I sometimes use in Edit profile etc. stuff.

Don't care but I fancy changing the thing just because I can (or should be able to).

Ta mate.

P

Click on your name top right, then account settings, then signature :P

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Click on your name top right, then account settings, then signature :P

That's weird, some of those settings have not been available for ages and I didn't actually check yesterday!!! Ta mate.

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well Mr Seaside resort your bleddy leg condition is catching . Here I am down in not sunny Hereford and my leg that is supposed to be getting better with anti bios after a bite (?) two weeks ago and starting Medstead this Tuesday gone, has fired up summit rotten. Pah! Not going to A & E but having to endure car back home tomorrow having trained down yesterday. Pi##ed off I can tell you. Rather be lying down at home.

Lame Duck.

Edited by Mallard60022
Gross incompetence
  • Friendly/supportive 11