SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Anybody reckon I could get away with this?

w61.jpg

With some adaptations of course!

This is where I miss Coachman's input. He would have posted a pic of a LNWR or similar that would be a close match.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anybody reckon I could get away with this?

w61.jpg

With some adaptations of course!

This is where I miss Coachman's input. He would have posted a pic of a LNWR or similar that would be a close match.

P

Reckon you could get away with it if you were the proverbial sightless person on a galloping equine charge.

Then again, bogies never bothered you if I remember correctly :jester:

Mike.

Their Facebook page, just posting loads of pictures of it with no explanation which usually means an announcement forthcoming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre/207521425956079?ref=ts&fref=ts

(and yes, it's of absolutely no connection to my existing modelling interests BUT I NEED ONE!)

Edited by cromptonnut

Their Facebook page, just posting loads of pictures of it with no explanation which usually means an announcement forthcoming.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre/207521425956079?ref=ts&fref=ts

(and yes, it's of absolutely no connection to my existing modelling interests BUT I NEED ONE!)

I Hope you're right - been contemplating making one of these from a kit, but then, knowing how long these things take to come to fruition (usually years) i will probably still have a go at one.

Although having said that the Kernow O2 might make it just before i get to start on the 2 O2 kits i have.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

4ft or even 3ft wide storage boards may be on the wide side for storage boards if you need to change stock or locos from one end of a train to 'tuther. Unless of course your wings are the lengths of a gorilla or chimp.

Mine are 3ft wide, and I can reach the far side, just. I'm 5ft 9, Phil is taller than that, but I'm not sure of his wingspan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the stretching review lads. I've gone back to the Gym to ensure I have the necessary flexibility to knock lots of stock off the boards when required!

OK so.....update alert.

I have been down in Ambrosia land for a few days (well last week) and been on an expedition to Seaton Junction (was staying in sunny Colyton). Oh the ghosties and ghoulies that lurked around the site. I could deal with the ghosties but I had trouble with the goolies. :stinker: 

Couldn't really take any of the pics I wanted of the distant hillside west of the 'Junction' or area just to the north of where the milk tanks yard was, as the whole old yards sites track sides and areas are just a woodland these days. 

However I did take some 'generic' Devon hills and valley style shots that might be useful for the production of scenic back drops as done on Albion Yard,  ANTB and other layouts of class.

I have mentioned on another thread that I was quite surprised at how 'compact' the original site actually would have been and that is such good news as far as the station and yard area goes.

I'll get some pics on here shortly.post-2326-0-30666600-1414510632_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-31299200-1414510701_thumb.jpg

These are unshopped as I hope the professional will be able to deal with stuff like that. I shall be using the chap that did Albion Yard's scenic background as he works out of the Barrow Hill area. I've also got quite a few more with better light conditions. However I might just have to return to Devon next Summer (early July?)

Meanwhile I have decided I need another loft hole installed as the existing one is on the landing and is side on to the stair well; not that safe for a doddery old f**t and grandson who wants to see "trains in the roof". The new one will be in the small, spare bedroom/office/ dumping ground.

At the same time the loft will be getting roof line insulation (foil sandwich style) so I'm going to have to devise a way of making the layout areas look like railway rather than the inside of the International Space Station.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice to hear your trip was worthwhile.Talking of the backgrounds and it's something that needs planning and fixing at an early stage as they're a bu**er to fit when the scenery/trackwork is finished.Ask me how I know this Phil. :O Get the backscenes done by a pro and you won't regret it too.

• RMweb Premium

Well the Bylines article was only about one signal at the Junction and some of those at Seaton itself; shame. However, a 'mystery caller' has provided me with access to loads of pics and info about the Junction and its signals. Great stuff.

Anyhow, cheque-book layout alert:

here is my commissioned yard lamp from RMLectronics

post-2326-0-60189100-1414942550_thumb.jpg

I think it is superb and I shall be having six more with slightly differing top end lamp fitting cofiguration.

So when will real layout work continue? When other household developments have been completed and the garage is free for woodwork, the new loft hole is installed and insulation stuff fitted.

P

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mr. Duck I just found your thread for the first time and have read through it.

OMG you cannot imagine how surprised I was to find you in former LSWR territory, I thought you were a Gresley man through and through!

Ah well I suppose at least we have the consolation that Southern's greatest CME was at least schooled in the right ways

Should be an interesting layout. I'm building my bases out of 2x1 with 9mm ply over in 5' x 3' sections and getting away with cross braces at 18" - still moderately heavy, but the clever bit is that they are all hinged at tieback to allow for wiring, point fitting etc.

It worked out fine on the located layout, now we need to see if it will work on Waverley East station and its approach!

How's the chest doing?

ATB

Peter

• Thanks 1

Nice nostalgic pictures, Phil!  Always was envious of Exeter eastwards as there were Merchant Navys' and King Arthurs to be had; exotica, compared to the Plymouth area.  But a Devon  General bus ride to Exeter and Exmouth Junction helped to cure that.  72A was the only shed we ever had a permit for!

Brian.

• Like 1

If I may proffer some info:

The 118s arrived on the WR in 1960.  Some 116s were drafted in during 1962 and some of the 118s transferred away, only to return later.  More 116s turned up in the West Country after the Western took over former Southern territory west of Salisbury.  Mallard will be relieved to know that this is outside his chosen period.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

Phil if I can excuse an Apple Green P2 with a rake of teak Gresleys whistling into Waverley in 1959,  then I'm sure you can borrow the RMWeb Tardis and come back with a Radial - at least if it's in Blackerry Black.

Actually when it was in that livery the Bluebell's example looked extremely handsome.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if I've posted this pic? It is the main scene I wish to recreate. 

attachicon.gifSeaton Junction from the west.jpg

I understand that Bulleid Pacifics are not to everyone's taste, however those are the ones I saw and enjoyed and so there's the reason for my choice.

P

Anyone who loves the railway, and the steam railway in particular, should enjoy that photo Phil. We all have our own reasons for choosing a location, and more often than not, it is all about nostalgia. It is surely only natural to prefer that which we saw regularly, and which therefore had a big impact on us. I only saw Southern steam a couple of times, but I still remember that too, and the Bulleids did make a big impression, original and rebuilt.

The important thing is that you do what makes you happy surely? If others like it, and they will, that is a bonus.

• Like 2