SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bgman said:

Ah ! Those were the days, Duckin' and Divin" ......bit like Ducky's thread really ! :jester:

FWIW .....My Physics teacher came from Liverpool.....nuff said ! :o

Mr Crosthwaite was from that place where they take a Scotsman and beat all the generosity out of them... AKA Yorkshire.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Correct, but those were stuck on with glue in 1960 so it doesn't matter.:rolleyes:

However now you have made me need to change them for BR ones that had slots, both back and side IIRC? Thanks.

P

7311.jpg.ba08809adbf23c1c680b878b19c9741f.jpg

They Lamps better Jon? 'ope so cause they wus a bu#er to get the lenses in!

P

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

My physics teacher (not master), also a complete psychopath (and general all round reknaw), used the blackboard rubber to inflict his version of pain upon us.  I think he must have had a bad trip in the '60s?  Although to be fair he did bring in his copy of Days of Future Past to play along with his guitar to explain sound waves to us (well, those that didn't have a concussion).

Why were so many Sec teachers (or Grammar in my case, hence 'Master')? Were they ex War criminals or PTSD maybe?

I used On the Threshold of a Dream (Moodies) for many a Lesson, however the oldest ones I taught were 12 (top Middle). I also used the films Silent Running and Black Star, as well as Earthsearch (both Series) by Ken Follett. Bloomin brilliant work from kids with that lot. Not Fizzsicks tho' ,  t'was  Ingerlish and some Drama.

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Why were so many Sec teachers (or Grammar in my case, hence 'Master')? Were they ex War criminals or PTSD maybe?

I used On the Threshold of a Dream (Moodies) for many a Lesson, however the oldest ones I taught were 12 (top Middle). I also used the films Silent Running and Black Star, as well as Earthsearch (both Series) by Ken Follett. Bloomin brilliant work from kids with that lot. Not Fizzsicks tho' ,  t'was  Ingerlish and some Drama.

P

My primary school headmaster  ( Mr 'Herr' Fridd) was definitely a war criminal!  But he was a Christian, so I suppose he got forgiven ?

Messer's Green & Hamlin, two of my teachers at primary, who should never been allowed to be around children, were a pair of handy bullies, but everyone respected teachers and thought the sun shone out their rectums.

Happy days...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Our physics teacher, Mr Neal when educating us about Archimedes Principal told us one way to remember it is "When someone calls you scum remind them about what  Archimedes found. Scum being of a lower density floats above sh!t".  

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Our physics teacher was a Dr. Green, quite young in mid 1980s and also borderline psycho. Demonstrated pressure by using flat side of the ruler on a hand, then edge with same force. We still think he tripped out on Benylin cough medicine one winter.... :O

Good to see some action again Phil. Mojo seems to be in variable quantity generally, so keep going while it's available :D

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Another psycho English teacher, Mr Horne, would get hold of your sideburn and drag you up onto the desk and then run you up to the front of the class along the top of the desks and god help you if you missed the desk. Most tried to sit at the front of the class.

I have always wondered if it was a requirement to teach English that you had to be a psycho.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I once got one Physical question correct in one test in about 6 years; what is the part of a Railway rolling stock wheel that enables the wheel to remain on the track? I think the Spotters in the Group all got that correct? The master was a real b#####d; hanged himself one Summer Holiday, not because of me I hope.

P

I hope you answered the coned tread, not the flange.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Was it Newton's 7th law that said how ever many times you shake it, the last drop still goes down your trouser leg? 

His 4th Law states that you always forget to go before you put your wet suit on, so what were the 5th and 6th?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

For my generation, many school masters had served in the war and had been badly affected mentally, especially those who had been prisoners of war in the East.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 22:13, St Enodoc said:

I hope you answered the coned tread, not the flange.

I'm afraid not, as us 11 year old oiks didn't know about Tyres on Loco Wheels and Treads then, so it was a Flanged wheel and he accepted it.

The Junction is developing, slowly.

I am doing daft things instead of biting the plaster bandage and doing scenery.

On Tuesday a pal kindly 'added' a pair of hands and helped me fit a Point Motor (Cobalts; I like them). It involved quite a lot of CBA to link two Motors when one point is just a Trap. It works.

I have been trying to cure wiggling stock, including loco's, with varying degrees of success. New wheels mainly for stock. Plasticard and glue for loco's; don't ask!

Then there are the Hunt Couplings on Wagons and Vans and all that fun.

Sorting boxes of stuff to see what needs to stay or go. There is a lot of the latter.

Sadly, when doing such searching, I find further things to fiddle with rather than do real work. One of these is a part built Bulleid Coal Weighing Tender KIt (excellent PDK product) that will run with 35024 I hope (pre end of 1961 as it was rebuilt then).

I had acquired a set of Bulleid Tender Wheels without Pin Points, presumably designed to fit an inside Frame. So I decided to fettle a simple rig to take said wheels. It involved Brass Tube, Plasticard and some Evostick.

Engineers will now faint with disgust:

20211111_142134.jpg.96b9e7a8ae9a46e9a0b7813c2f450cd0.jpg

Well, faint away geezers as this works and has compensation and the Centre Axle has more sideways movement and it runs as smooth as a Smooth Snake on a piece of Glass. I even remembered to make the wheel height correct too, hence the carefully engineered slivers of Plasticard. Unless the Loco falls off and drags this off, ending up showing it's vitals, then who will see such workmanship eh?

I shall now proceed with fitting more bits to the actual Body and side frames and maybe in 4 or 5 Years you might see the next stage and I might even have painted it.

Yo.

Phil

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The sadists have faded into oblivion for me, apart from one who launched a board rubber at a pal of mine, only to have it caught and returned with youthful vigour and greater accuracy. :jester:

The good teachers stay with you for life and the one I remember with greatest respect taught my final year at Primary school. A tall, white-haired gentleman of military bearing (and probably background) who bore the rather impressive name of William McEwan Pirie.

He would have been in the final decade of his career, and he motivated lazy me more effectively than any other teacher I ever encountered; getting me through the eleven plus single handed. More importantly, he taught "constructive curiosity" and got us discovering things for ourselves rather than waiting for material to be served up. The ability and desire to do that has contributed more to my enjoyment of life than anything that delivered a bit of paper with "Pass" written  on it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The sadists have faded into oblivion for me, apart from one who launched a board rubber at a pal of mine, only to have it caught and returned with youthful vigour and greater accuracy. :jester:

The good teachers stay with you for life and the one I remember with greatest respect taught my final year at Primary school. A tall, white-haired gentleman of military bearing (and probably background) who bore the rather impressive name of William McEwan Pirie.

He would have been in the final decade of his career, and he motivated lazy me more effectively than any other teacher I ever encountered; getting me through the eleven plus single handed. More importantly, he taught "constructive curiosity" and got us discovering things for ourselves rather than waiting for material to be served up. The ability and desire to do that has contributed more to my enjoyment of life than anything that delivered a bit of paper with "Pass" written  on it.

John

Constructive Curiosity was more or less obliterated by the National Curriculum, until those Teachers with cunning and the ba11s, as well as some energy left, managed to sneak it into the learning. Love that description John. Sounds like one or two I had; respected and  probably never really thanked at the time.

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here we go and yes, I know the Loco hasn't had its' bits fitted yet..

20211112_104514.jpg.5894694325e1c46001c1a1f2ec4c00bb.jpg

Something I didn't do except encourage a pal to build a Comet Coach from the Box and finish it to my requirements....

20211112_104907.jpg.6a435be81686454cb745b45d1f08d378.jpg

Bulleid 63' All door BSK (Only the 59' version available RTR at the moment).

I got 'mates rates' for this so it was a damn fine bargain; great job Steve, I shall be troubling you again so it is no good emigrating.

ANTB folk may be having palpitations with a glimpse of something in the right background; Diversions are go.

P

P

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

On 25/10/2021 at 16:38, 5BarVT said:

My favourite physics teacher taught me Railway Modelling!

Never had him as a teacher but he ran the railway soc.
Paul.

My Geography teacher took us ( that is the school Railway Society ) on a day trip by train to Swindon Works, I can honestly say that that one day taught me more and had a far more enjoyable, and positive effect on my entire life than a whole term of him rattling on about the Great Artesian Basin which hasn’t benefitted me in any way whatsoever. 

Same goes for a single evening at the Railway Society when we had a talk by another teacher who had been an apprentice at Swindon. That had more motivation on my life than 5 years of Physics, Maths, Biology  or Chemistry where I finished knowing almost nothing when I left beyond the very little I knew when I started.

I have to conclude that what is wrong with the education system is not enough focus on railways!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At  secondary school my science master was a maniac board rubbers regularily flew across the room and if it hit you you gave it back when he would belt you round the head,Another sadist was the gymn master he would hit you and make you do a cuircet round the gym without touching the floor.if you hit the floor he would shout at you from six inches and then make you cimb ropes whilst hitting you with a piece of wood.We had our revenge though one evening near when we left school we lifted his girlfriends mini (another teacher) into the middle of parked cars and managed to put his there to.We got away with it he was very angry and proceeded to line our year up in the gymn hitting us as he passed.You dont see maniacs anymore perhaps it was a result of war service and problems there after.The new loco looks good.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2021 at 20:27, Dunsignalling said:

The sadists have faded into oblivion for me, apart from one who launched a board rubber at a pal of mine, only to have it caught and returned with youthful vigour and greater accuracy. 

Been there, Done that. He never threw another in our class after I caught one and scored a direct hit with the return.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Somehow the little squidgy sponge thing that comes with the interactive whiteboard never seemed to have the same potential.

We've moved on to 75" interactive TV's now.  Please can we go back to white or blackboards...  I can't take the stupidity of some of our educators.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5