SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

...just a thought Phil....why not sketch the most dramatic but typically south Devon landscape that will fit into your space and engineer the LSWR through it...in a LSWR kinda way. The result should be close to what the LSWR engineers would have done with your space.

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

I agree that an unrebuilt Seaton Jct is a good option.

I have considered using that trackplan for a "might-have-been" Beaminster station on the proposed Dorchester to Exeter (via Axminster) route with the branch going down the valley of the River Brit to Bridport. It could be built in quite a small space and gets round the problem of modelling long trains e.g. ACE which one has with any of the mainline stations.

• Like 1

Then there was the Car Carrier (SO Summer Timetable) service from  Surbiton to Okehampton & return that used 8 green GUVS!

P

A heavy train, invariably MN-hauled. It sported pink and yellow coach roofboards, a set of which in OO were given away free with an early copy of Model Rail when CJL was editor! Perhaps a pm to Dibber25 of this parish may secure you a set?

(I repainted and lettered 8 Lima GUVs into green, all gone now!).

Cheers,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One junction station design, that has the merits of reality and variety, would be Chard Junction. Nice Yeovil and Exeter architecture. Plenty of extensive historic information available. Locos would include a fairly wide variety of mainline passenger, mixed traffic and goods types. Plus the branch and also the United Dairies shunter. Post war coaching stock from 1900 onwards. Busy Milk Traffic, rustic setting

Judith Edge Kits produce the Ruston 48 and 165, both of which saw service at Chard Junction.  I expect the 48 would be right for your time period.  I have someone building an O gauge 165 kit for my layout.

• Like 1

Judith Edge Kits produce the Ruston 48 and 165, both of which saw service at Chard Junction.  I expect the 48 would be right for your time period.  I have someone building an O gauge 165 kit for my layout.

I remember seeing the latter shunter there. Now preserved I think?

As an aside does anyone know what milk tanks were used?

I remember seeing the latter shunter there. Now preserved I think?

As an aside does anyone know what milk tanks were used?

The Ruston 165 spent some years at the Cholsey & Wallingford railway before heading to the Mid Suffolk for restoration where I believe it still resides in operational condition (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34938158@N02/7686943348/in/set-72157613339351612).  I took a number of pictures of it there a few years back.

In latter days (1980/81) a fleet of TMV tanks were stored there but I think they saw very little use before being towed off for scrap.  (http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mmbmilk).  Not sure what was used before then.

The Ruston 165 spent some years at the Cholsey & Wallingford railway before heading to the Mid Suffolk for restoration where I believe it still resides in operational condition (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34938158@N02/7686943348/in/set-72157613339351612).  I took a number of pictures of it there a few years back.

In latter days (1980/81) a fleet of TMV tanks were stored there but I think they saw very little use before being towed off for scrap.  (http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mmbmilk).  Not sure what was used before then.

Thanks for the info. I thought the loco went to Bitton near Bristol but obviously not. I recall seeing those tanks there but never saw them leave the yard in a train.

Kev S

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good to hear there is progress even if slow, my N project is incredibly slow at present but I need to get all the automatic fiddle yards up and running before I can do much with the actual scenic side itself, which is in effect quite straightforward once I get going.

Sometimes rushing things can make us regret it and end up starting again.

• RMweb Gold

However - there's always an 'however' - there is the simple matter of how much you happen to weigh and the area into which that weight is concentrated when you're standing.  I can understand that the 'baseboards' might well result in a very limited load but the duck himself might not.

Actually what I could see of what looked like the joists in your upper pic didn't look too bad but it always pays to get expert advice on floor loadings for an attic railway (or attic anything else) job. Admittedly my attic involves quite large spans but this - below - is the depth of floor joist we are looking at for carrying the average human male adult (and it's even enough to carry me too ;) ).

post-6859-0-80340700-1399049412_thumb.jpg

• Like 2