SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Well I know it's going to be tight but the 'end curves' will be hidden and that's why it's going to be OO and RTR, with an occasional Kit built with generous chassis  movement!

When I was running Exeter Central it was 16 X 8 and the curves were OK.

P

2' x 24' is more than tight! Is that not what you meant?

Whilst I appreciate, and wish I had the length, will not the inside of the "A" frames get on your nerves in the end. ie being in the way when constructing the layout and also spoiling the view whilst operating and getting in the way if one is taking photos.

Edited by westerner
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I find smuggling layout parts in my trousers works - like the sand disposal in the Great Escape, only in reverse...

N gauge, no problem.

O gauge, not quite so straightforward.

Is that a Deltic in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

• RMweb Gold

OK so here is the first bit of news. The chap that has just laid some flooring for me has left me quite a good bit of 3mm ply. So that's a bit of progress isn't it?

Yo ho ho.....

P.S. paining will be finished tomorrow (the dining room, not the layout backscene) :beee:

There you are look - in just over 8 hours you actually did post something to do with the layout (it's all in the preparation and that includes getting the materials to hand).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, milk tanks.

My St Ivel ones are probably too new for you.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/ajdown/Railway%20pics/Model%20pics/branchjunction.jpg

Buffers are doing a special run of United Dairies wagons for Chard Junction which may be more your era - give them a call and reserve your batch :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/16008_1491596884390004_7091508380363782863_n.jpg?oh=78b3040e9c7cdf42099e9fe6a6dbe0c3&oe=547D7D61

I've certainly seen "banking" at St Davids up to Central as recently as the 1990's, stone trains from Meldon.  Pair of 33's on the front and one or two 50's (or whatever was hanging around at Exeter) on the back giving it a shove.  That was certainly a noise to behold.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Excellent news, mi Duck.  I shall be cheering you on from the sideline!

I used exterior grade ply for my boards, braced lengthways and crosswise to build a box girder.  I think it was 9mm thick.  I know it was farking expensive.  Or to me anyway, notorious tightwad that I am.  But it's bullet proof, and once painted it even loses the 'curious' smell...

My existing ones are St Ivel and I'm going to rebrand them Express Dairies as that was Seaton J's set up. I have an Express dairies one coming from somewhere.

Do PM me if you want to move those St Ivels on matey.

I'd looked at the Buffers ones but they are United Dairies; that was Chard J's set up!! Nice though.

When you mentioned that before I thought I might look at them when I just happen to pass Buffers on my October 'field trip', sorry, holiday with SWMBO. 

P

My memories of milk tanks are that they were so covered in crud you couldn't tell which lucky dairy owned them.

Chris

• Agree 1

Well I suppose you might say that today the work began.

Well, sort of. I think someone once said "Circumstances dear boy, circumstances......." or something similar? So, things happening have made me get off my ar*e and try to get started on this project. Life as many have said, is too short.

A momentous day indeed, o feathered, weather-proof one. :friends:

C'mon - wakey, wakey :shout: No time for naps, life - as they say - is too short. Finished by Christmas should be the target :senile: (but just don't say which year :laugh:)

• Like 1