SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if the Duchess was failed? Who knows? Do I really care about the delights of York at Christmas? I suspect some Dining (posh) 'customers' will be demanding a refund.

Shame after the other day's performance.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if the Duchess was failed? Who knows? Do I really care about the delights of York at Christmas? I suspect some Dining (posh) 'customers' will be demanding a refund.

Shame after the other day's performance.

Phil 

All the more time to enjoy their grub - extra round of bacon anybody?  (assuming it was still hot for those who joined at Stevenage)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50742/2016/12/10/advanced

Edited by The Stationmaster

Oddly it looks like that other than leaving an hour later and the long delay, they've kept time reasonably well, in fact gaining back on the schedule. I presume that having missed a path, they then had to wait for the next available one hence the second long delay?

No consolation then that the other steam to York today (from Tyseley) was early enough that I managed two shots, despite only having my pushbike available to get between Ickles and Masboro. Pity it was a bit gloomy, hence the B&W conversion of the first one:

post-6971-0-03799300-1481371815.jpg

post-6971-0-36961500-1481371820.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Oddly it looks like that other than leaving an hour later and the long delay, they've kept time reasonably well, in fact gaining back on the schedule. I presume that having missed a path, they then had to wait for the next available one hence the second long delay?

Quite likely the case,  once a steam hauled train loses its path on a 100mph (and +) railway it is really down to taking the best chances it can get.

• RMweb Premium

Quite likely the case,  once a steam hauled train loses its path on a 100mph (and +) railway it is really down to taking the best chances it can get.

Yes. Certainly seemed to have had a good path north of Retford and Donny as it fairly flew by the look of it. Don't think it has left York for the return yet! If it has I'm going to miss it!  

Hey Ho!

Castle looks in splendid nick Chris. Thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

Back to topic (!), I watched the Railway Roundabout DVD on Seaton Junction earlier. I can see why you've chosen to model it. Lots of big Pacifics flying up and down and some nice diverted services to justify copious rule 1 applications...

DVD was my father's. My son asked if he'd let me watch the DVD when I was small. He was a bit bemused when I explained DVDs didn't exist when I was his age..

David

• RMweb Premium

I'm sitting in Barnstable Stn eating a beef and pickle cabbage sandwich ;)

Yours

Rovers Return

I'm sitting in my kitchen with the SAD lamp and the weather, it is piss#ing down! 46233 due down here for about an hour after 18.00.

Edited by Mallard60022

Barnstaple? Isn't that where The Stationmaster runs the cafe?

Hi Ian,

Not now, I believe it is independent however the Latte if far better than the conglomerates offerings IMO and you're not just another number. It is a well keep, clean cafe and used by many of the train staff who get a massive discount too.

Just took a trip to Bideford and picked up some "stuff" from one of the two ! model railway shops there.

I'm using my Old Gits railcard to the max still and also the PlusBus ticket for just £1.50p extra, damn good value. Mind you any savings I made on that soon left the depths of pockets in Bideford !!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Not now, I believe it is independent however the Latte if far better than the conglomerates offerings IMO and you're not just another number. It is a well keep, clean cafe and used by many of the train staff who get a massive discount too.

Just took a trip to Bideford and picked up some "stuff" from one of the two ! model railway shops there.

I'm using my Old Gits railcard to the max still and also the PlusBus ticket for just £1.50p extra, damn good value. Mind you any savings I made on that soon left the depths of pockets in Bideford !!!

I think there is still some connection between Mike Day and the cafe. Mike is also the chairman of the Tarka Rail Association and a jolly good fellow.

• RMweb Gold

Barnstaple is also the scene of quite the most humiliating official notice I have ever seen on the railway. At the end of the platform is a sign that actually asks "Have you got the token?" What level of incompetence has driving a train descended to?

Barnstaple is also the scene of quite the most humiliating official notice I haquotevr seen on the railway. At the end of the platform is a sign that actually asks "Have you got the couldn't What level of incompetence has driving a train descended to?

You say that, but it won't be the first time the Gunnislake train has got to Bere Alston without the token so the couldn't change the point to run up to Gunnislake. They then had to wait for the token to be sent by road as without the token they couldn't run back and fetch it.

Barnstaple is also the scene of quite the most humiliating official notice I have ever seen on the railway. At the end of the platform is a sign that actually asks "Have you got the token?" What level of incompetence has driving a train descended to?

From other posts, it looks a good idea!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I did and very nice sniffy it was as well and although it was 81 minutes late when leaving 36E, is now RT at Huntingdon. That must have been some lovely non stop running for the crew as far as Peterborough and then only a 4 minute stop before right away.

I have to say that the 'authorities' do a splendid job fitting these specials in on a very busy main line and for that I am very grateful as we all should be I suppose.

46233 is one hell of a loco.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You say that, but it won't be the first time the Gunnislake train has got to Bere Alston without the token so the couldn't change the point to run up to Gunnislake. They then had to wait for the token to be sent by road as without the token they couldn't run back and fetch it.

Indeed, but sadly it's far from being the only type of reminder sign to drivers regarding operational matters that they need to be aware of. Not so very long ago it simply used to be called 'route knowledge'. These days there are all kinds of additional aids, which I suppose is the modern way, but I always think back to the footplate men in the days of old, who were prepared to drive heavy steam-hauled express trains, at speed, in dense fog or falling snow, and were expected to identify their signal from a flickering oil lamp, perhaps one of many on a large and complicated gantry. Nerves of steel.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but sadly it's far from being the only type of reminder sign to drivers regarding operational matters that they need to be aware of. Not so very long ago it simply used to be called 'route knowledge'. These days there are all kinds of additional aids, which I suppose is the modern way, but I always think back to the footplate men in the days of old, who were prepared to drive heavy steam-hauled express trains, at speed, in dense fog or falling snow, and were expected to identify their signal from a flickering oil lamp, perhaps one of many on a large and complicated gantry. Nerves of steel.

...   ...   and an amazing amount of guesswork and hope.

Lovely story told in South Wales of some Sunday Single Line Working on the PC&N  - the pilot engine (there's a luxury) was in the process of picking up the SLW forms to end the Single Line working in really thick fog and  Signalling Inspector who was riding on the engine told the Driver to stop as he was sure they were on the wrong line,  the Driver looked over the side and said no, they were definitely on the right line and something of a debate developed because the fog was so thick they couldn't actually see the other line whichever side they looked out.

Anyway the Driver had just reached the stage of telling the DI that he'd been going up the line line since he was a Passed Cleaner and he knew exactly where he was - even in thick fog - at which juncture they fell off the road on a catch point which had already had the clip taken off. 

• Like 1