SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

My ghast awaits flabbering, with the much vaunted progress that will be happening this Friday coming, when the ACE can be looped to allow a diverted CRE to go hammering through your branchline station.

C.B. Collet

What does ACE stand for A Corned beef Express a meat tin thingy with oil bath hauling cattle wagons ?.  :dontknow:

Clear evidence, Phil, that your progress has the Swindon lot rattled. Keep sockin' it to 'em!

• RMweb Premium

Why should those from 82C and all the other related sheds be rattled - they know they are simply the best. After all even the LMS poached a Swindon man to keep their locomotives running. And much of what he did was perpetuated by Riddles so the BR Standards have a link going back to Swindon as well.

Shall I invite Jenny to come and wave her things when the circuits are ready to accept a full length A.C.E.?

Yes, Jenny to cut the ribbon, Nigella will bring cakes, and Jodie will pop us into her police box so we can all go back and spend a sunny Saturday at the real SJ in the days of steam.

What a day that would be.  I would die happy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My ghast awaits flabbering, with the much vaunted progress that will be happening this Friday coming, when the ACE can be looped to allow a diverted CRE to go hammering through your branchline station.

C.B. Collet

I have the evidence that an up CRE was hauled by a Modified Spam in 61 or 62; can't quite remember without checking my notes. I could recreate that including the passengers admiring the beauty of the true WOEML :triniti:

What does ACE stand for A Corned beef Express a meat tin thingy with oil bath hauling cattle wagons ?.  :dontknow:

A Jester

Thou jests dear heart but remember that that Spam climbing Hemerdonionland ealier in the thread has the old tin bath thing dangling underneath and it was still working and hadn't caught fire (at that point).

:onthequiet:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, I have had such a day. Last evening whilst I was still awake (just) a very kind person informed me of a 'special' locomotive that was available at a 'tempting price'. I had a look at the pic of the 'special' thingy and I began to weaken, seriously wobbly weakening with hand twitching near the dosh pocket.

I do not need another King Arthur, even a beautifully weatherd one, I really don't,,,,,yup, not required at all, ever.

So, today I looked at the pic again and almost  succumbed, however when I phoned the line was engaged. So, I double checked some details and fortunately the loco depicted had a Urie tender fitted in '57 and not the watercart as provided and it was withdrawn in 8/59 anyway. Relief. Then I had to go shopping and then I had to go and do some strimming (quite enjoyable in a violent sort of way) because SWMBO said so.................

That's my excuse as to why nowt's been done today (except the bit of Arthur research).

Philth

• Like 1

Why should those from 82C and all the other related sheds be rattled - they know they are simply the best. After all even the LMS poached a Swindon man to keep their locomotives running. And much of what he did was perpetuated by Riddles so the BR Standards have a link going back to Swindon as well.

True, but then again most enlightened English companies poached from Swindon: GNR, Sturrock; GER, Holden; LB&SCR, Stroudley; SE&CR, a whole host under Maunsell. In fact, wasn't Ashford irreverently known as 'Little Swindon' because of the preponderance of ex-GWR men in the Drawing Office (including the brilliant Harry Holcroft)?

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

I need to get my head around the DCC BUS set up too as well as I really should create districts, or whatever they are called, with short protection.

DCC Specialities PSX1 circuit breakers.......https://tonystrains.com/product/dcc-specialties-psx1-circuit-breaker/  ......are brilliant (no connection).......I am sure they are available in the UK although Tonys prices look pretty good

I put mine in, in 2008 when I was learning about DCC and they have saved me a fortune! Now when I am older and wiser they still save the occasional expensive mistake and tons of time whenever a loco unexpectedly stops.

Power Districts are useful (I have four each with a dedicated PSX1) but whatever you decide you really should have one reliable circuit breaker installed before running any locos.

So pleased to see the layout progressing.

Best wishes

John
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's progress, as much as - ahem - lunch hour would allow. Be back soon.

The Sorcerer (CCE) has left the building........................thanks Mr Grantham for your lunch time chat today. Thank you for taking the pics and with your permission I have modified them so that those poor souls that have never had the pleasure ............................................... of seeing the actual SJ, can have some idea of what goes where. I shall first post some pics of the actual place as well to try to help.

Down Yard area from the Branch; on the right is one of the 3 Up yard sidings

post-2326-0-13056800-1500661983.jpg

Looking east with Dairy Yard to the left (where the S15 is lurking). The artist has taken a few liberties with this picture and the Up Yard (Dairy area) is not quite as it was in the late 50s & onwards. It looks more as it was when it was first built. The fast lines are also Bullhead and should be Flat Bottom at this time.

The M7 is at the east end of the Down Yard; it is sitting on the third line from the left shown in the first photo.

post-2326-0-29792100-1500662618_thumb.jpg

Looking east (UP)

post-2326-0-66339900-1500662777.jpg

Looking west (Down)

post-2326-0-89189200-1500662798.jpg

While the CCE was busy with his measuring device and track pins + some other magic implements, the Appentice was faffing with a scalpel, a drill and some dropper wires. The latter were being 'hidden' and poked through the baseboard ready for sorting.

What has been done so far now allows me to plan out the compromise of the Yards' tracks. I shall also be attempting to sort out the east end points  and get the underlay flat and tidy and the off stage curves to the fiddle ready for the next engineering exercise. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 18

You can drive WOW .  :O

B.S.M. Carskool

Of course he can, don't you watch the adverts ?

post-20303-0-12715400-1500671724.jpeg

Vor Sprung Duck-technik !

• RMweb Premium

Looks like some cess ballasting required there Mr Duck...time for the Ballastmeister to do a bit of instruction...

Baz

Ah, it looks like a load of Cess don't it just oh mighty Ballista. However, and dissappointingly for you I am sure, those 4 lines run on a flat bed all through the area and so the valleys will be carefully 'covered' in the 6' and a thin layer of substance applied to represent the surface.  

However, there are many areas where a meister may swoon over the requirement to produce artistic  looking ash and sandy, weedy Yard areas.

Much thanking could become necessary.

ATB

Duck's Ar$e

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This evening I discovered just what an art proper track laying, as per Mr. CCE, really is. I just completed a couple of lengths of the westbound main line that goes off scene at the far end of the site towards 'Honiton Bank'. Good job it does go off site as it is a  bit of a bodge, but looks fine for a metre where it tacks on to the CCE's crossover. It will disappear around a bend and under a road bridge just as it gets a little eccentric due to 'constraints'.

Tomorrow I need to get my brain back into Pecoboo Electrofrog Double Slips and how not to have to wire them up for pokenfinger operation. Actually I fear I might have to wire one in the 'Down Yard' for trickery operation, but I will need medication to achieve that at some later date (much later). In fact I need to relearn all the guff about point ops and power supply/switches and all that as I have already forgotten what I had learnt last year! I have the motors and switches and plenty of wire!

Good evening all.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

This is coming on Ducky. Hat's off.

Only a matter of time before we see a Merchant Navy sweeping majestically through there like a herd of wildebeest.......

Rob.

• Like 1