SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

I went to Central several times in 1960, '61 and '62 + bunks of Exmuff Juncshop. Still got the 'lists'. Sadly by '63 the distraction of those  girly things began to take hold (no sniggering) and I only visited Exeter a couple of times when the Ws had taken over from the Zs. Never went to Seaton Junction and didn't have a proper camera. I also hardly had any dosh so trips were limited and in 1963 in April (just after the big freeze) I had saved up for a mammoth 3 day spotting tour of the midlands and South Wales  and also some self guided trips to Bristol, York and a Weeks west of England runabout. Steam had more or less gone from Plymuff after the summer of 63 and I lost interest really (idiot). There was a final trip to the smoke in 64 (still steam at Euston and Clapham Junction)

Super memories and happy days all round.

Phil

Those of a certain age certainly have an edge on steam action.  For those not of diesel bent, it must have been traumatic in the sixties and later and not to have seen steam engines in their prime and the prospect of their imminent demise (The engines that is)!  Fortunately, I missed the final death throes of steam so I can remember the glory days which have been with me all this time and which keeps my interest in columns such as these, thanks to the knowledge of its contributors.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. I don't normally go for part-built jobbies but this one doesn't look so bad.

Naughty Duckie!

But I wanted a nice, shiny new one from Daapol Daypol!

In my Control days, more than 40 years ago, late starts from Victoria would often be ascribed to WFG - Waiting For Guard. At least, that was the polite public meaning of the F-word! Since the train would invariably be rung out to the signalbox before the guard’s absence had been noted, and the road given, the Traffic Regulator would grind his teeth at the several other delays that might accrue.

Over the years I have seen many acronyms used when Locomotive log books have been filled out.

Such as

WSWTO (wheels skidded when taken over)

MT (Empty)

or for the more humerous there is

NFG (No F****ing Good)

But the funniest thing I ever saw in a Loco log book wasn't an acronym at all.

It simply said- "Horn works well, suggest lifting Top Horn and replacing everything else below it!"

• RMweb Premium

Over the years I have seen many acronyms used when Locomotive log books have been filled out.

Such as

WSWTO (wheels skidded when taken over)

MT (Empty)

or for the more humerous there is

NFG (No F****ing Good)

But the funniest thing I ever saw in a Loco log book wasn't an acronym at all.

It simply said- "Horn works well, suggest lifting Top Horn and replacing everything else below it!"

Fault reported: Low amps.

Action reported: Amps topped up.

British Rail, Scottish Region, circa 1980.

• RMweb Gold

Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers (and who says that aviation mechanics do not have a sense of humour!):

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.

S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.

S: Probably because auto-land is not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit

S: Something tightened in cockpit

P: Dead bugs on windshield.

S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode has a 200 ft. per min. descent.

S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.

S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.

S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.

S: That’s what friction locks are for.

P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.

S: IFF IS inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.

S: Suspect you’re right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.

S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

PS: Aircraft acting funny

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.

S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.

S: Cat installed.

And the best one for last

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like midget pounding on something with a hammer.

S: Took hammer away from midget

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fault reported: Low amps.

Action reported: Amps topped up.

British Rail, Scottish Region, circa 1980.

Our fitters, on the buses, used to write "NDF" on most reports for No Defect Found, 'Amps topped up' is a much more creative way of saying NDF.

Then again, the well known abbreviation MoT, as in "take xxxx, it's just off MoT" tended to indicate to drivers that all the old defects were still there, but that there was now grease all over the steering wheel as well.

• Like 2

FFF, surely?

Misread that as FLF, thought we were back to Bristol buses again. Need to go back to Sexpavers. For Clive one from Essex as well - Not sure what a Der Blingfang is - Essex name for a gold tooth crown??  :no:

fhu59d-flf.jpg

flf-lodekka-33-004.jpg

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What a lovely pair of Bristols! (well someone had to say it).

The FLF is my all time favourite bus. I've actually had the pleasure of conducting on FHU59D shown in the top photo, its Bristol engine making all the right noises. I really ought to get and drive an FLF; moving FHU59D around the loop at Cranmore from the front to the back of the queue doesn't count as "driving", although I fear when I do all the right Bristol engine noises may be accompanied by all the wrong sort of gearbox crunching sounds!

The ENOC coach version looks a splendid vehicle, but I'm a busman at heart....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Uh-oh, yet another track-making thread where, irrespective to what the OP is explaining, the ONLY way to do it is Templot....

I'm not the biggest fan of Templot as I find quite a lot of the steps confusing and counter-intuitive BUT I would never dream of trying to draw a single turnout plan using wobbly pencils stuck in a bar.

It obviously works for the OP in the context of the micro layouts but for longer, more to scale turnouts the geometry of the OP's method is just wrong.

I have criticised Templot in the context of drawing up a whole layout plan but even for me, wot falls out with the program resulting in regular bad language, getting a single turnout plan from Templot really is just a few clicks. The beauty is that you have the freedom to change change the radii, switch length and diverge angle again dead easily. No redrawing, no rubbing out, no redrilling holes in bars.

Martin hasn't explained himself very well but in this context I can see his point. I recognise that we are all different and each to his own etc, therefore I won't be commenting in the thread. Think I need to lay down now...

And for others who haven't found the thread referenced by Stu: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132306-make-your-own-points-cheaply-simply-and-easily-from-scratch-in-any-scale/page-2

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the issue of content, the sublime beauty of the aesthetic finescale signifier seems very disturbing in light of a participation in the critical dialogue of the conceptualisation of real scratchbuilding.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the issue of content, the sublime beauty of the aesthetic finescale signifier seems very disturbing in light of a participation in the critical dialogue of the conceptualisation of real scratchbuilding.

I'm still looking for the app that turns CK speak back into English...

• Like 1

I agree but I haven't a clue what you are on about!  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Misread that as FLF, thought we were back to Bristol buses again. Need to go back to Sexpavers. For Clive one from Essex as well - Not sure what a Der Blingfang is - Essex name for a gold tooth crown??  :no:

fhu59d-flf.jpg

flf-lodekka-33-004.jpg

Now what a treat that Eastern National coach is. They were used on Southend to London commuter services. The EFE model is wrong as it has the rear windows on the lower deck.

My earliest memory of a journey on an FLF was to St Neots from Goldington on the 128. The last one was on from Broomfield to Chelmsford on the 111.

But we don't mention buses in Chelmsford with Adrian on the thread, I was busy protesting with the striking drivers as Adrian was driving around Chelmsford in their buses......times gone by. :)

• Like 2

I agree but I haven't a clue what you are on about!  :no:

To paraphrase what I think he is saying is that 'the more beauty you attach to finescale modelling the more disturbing it is that you are critical of the way others undertake their scratchbuiding' - alternatively it may all just be bullsh1t.

M.R.J Page