SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

It is much better to work on yer phone thingy. I don't care any more.  There are some great new things but some old habits are hard to modify at my age.

Brian, what's a car? We  only have bicycles over here due to the motor industry evacuating to foreign climes.

Yo.

• Funny 1

25 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

What happens to electric car range when you turn the heater on? :huh:

Well if you're really green you'd use a ground heat sink with a radiator in the car, downside is that it rather limits the range of the car but you'll never be cold and it will never ice up.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It was actually a serious question!  Problem here with electric cars (other than our outrageous electricity costs) is the bloody great mountain we have to traverse, taking up so much power and the amount of heat needed to demist windows. It doesn't get that cold here very often, but it sure can be damp.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It was actually a serious question!  Problem here with electric cars (other than our outrageous electricity costs) is the bloody great mountain we have to traverse, taking up so much power and the amount of heat needed to demist windows. It doesn't get that cold here very often, but it sure can be damp.

I thought you had some mopeds, His & Hers. :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

What happens to electric car range when you turn the heater on? :huh:

Well, it does knock a mile or two off the range, but the power required by the heater, lights, SatNav, etc is insignificant compared with the power required to push a car along at motorway speeds.

My car has heated seats, and heated steering wheel, and the electric heating demists and de-ices and gets the car toasty warm in a fraction of the time an IC engine needs to warm up.

Some electric cars allow you to set a time when you intend to leave, and it will warm up and demist while still plugged in to the mains, all ready for when you drag yourself out of bed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

On the other hand though you get to charge the battery for free when going down the other side of the mountain given most electric cars seem to have regenerative braking.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Well, it does knock a mile or two off the range, but the power required by the heater, lights, SatNav, etc is insignificant compared with the power required to push a car along at motorway speeds.

My car has heated seats, and heated steering wheel, and the electric heating demists and de-ices and gets the car toasty warm in a fraction of the time an IC engine needs to warm up.

Some electric cars allow you to set a time when you intend to leave, and it will warm up and demist while still plugged in to the mains, all ready for when you drag yourself out of bed.

Is it DCC

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Http://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/maximizing-electric-cars-range-extreme-temperatures

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My grateful thanks to one of these new stalkers on RMW.

Captain A. Cuthbertson RN (Retd.) C/O HMS Kernow, has sent me a lovely fan letter with loads of pictures and easy words for me to read. What a kind gesture, unlike the gestures I usually receive from most people, that involves one or two digits.

On a less important matter, can anyone confirm that, in WTTs (Coach Working Notices) the list of stock per train is printed as first coach would be the leading coach behind the locomotive. The reason I ask is that I am translating the coach workings on the Waterloo to/from WOE services and those departing Waterloo are fine, but those shown as having arrived but ready for hauling out to the suburbs such as Clapham Yard or Walton, have me a bit confused (not difficult). For example, an arrival from (say) Exeter is shown as ready to go out to wherever. Am I correct in assuming the coaches are listed as they would leave the station and that is the reverse order that they arrived e.g. arrived with RB at the front next to engine at buffer stop, depart with RB at the rear? 

Why do I ask I hear you moan. Well I do not have the confirmed coach formations for the up expresses and I am just trying to confirm these from the arrivals that are about to be hauled away to yards if you get my drift?

I thank you.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Captain A. Cuthbertson RN (Retd.) C/O HMS Kernow, has sent me a lovely fan letter with loads of pictures and easy words for me to read. What a kind gesture, unlike the gestures I usually receive from most people, that involves one or two digits.

On a less important matter, can anyone confirm that, in WTTs (Coach Working Notices) the list of stock per train is printed as first coach would be the leading coach behind the locomotive. The reason I ask is that I am translating the coach workings on the Waterloo to/from WOE services and those departing Waterloo are fine, but those shown as having arrived but ready for hauling out to the suburbs such as Clapham Yard or Walton, have me a bit confused (not difficult). For example, an arrival from (say) Exeter is shown as ready to go out to wherever. Am I correct in assuming the coaches are listed as they would leave the station and that is the reverse order that they arrived e.g. arrived with RB at the front next to engine at buffer stop, depart with RB at the rear? 

Why do I ask I hear you moan. Well I do not have the confirmed coach formations for the up expresses and I am just trying to confirm these from the arrivals that are about to be hauled away to yards if you get my drift?

I thank you.

P

Hi Phil

The coaches are usually listed so that the first coach in the list is the one behind the loco. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Captain A. Cuthbertson RN (Retd.) C/O HMS Kernow, has sent me a lovely fan letter with loads of pictures and easy words for me to read.

Cuthbertson (in a rare moment of sobriety) says you are most welcome, but is somewhat anxious to know if the Horrocksford postmark was legible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Serious question - is Hon Algenon Cuthbertson a Captain, or a First Lieutenant ?

And is he retired or not ?

This new fangled website-thingy is really confusing things...

And how was he able to nip down to the post box if he is surrounded by the local militia?

I fully agree, this new fangled website-thingy is really confusing things...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Phil

The coaches are usually listed so that the first coach in the list is the one behind the loco. 

Yes, I thought as much. I will have to check my new fangled Spreadsheet and some other bits and bobs and see if I have to alter the formations for the Ups as I suspect I have entered them the wrong way round.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

By the way young sir, why are trains going to Walton from Plymouth? If you want to go to Walton you catch a train from London, Liverpool Street Station and change at Thorpe -le-Soken. Use to be through coaches to Walton, they would split the train at Thorpe -le-Soken.

There is a very nice Pie and Mash shop next door to the chippy for those who don't like pie and mash in Walton.

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

And where is the fun in that might I ask??? Can't beat sitting on cold plastic covered seats peering through a two inch gap in the ice on the windscreen. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes, I thought as much. I will have to check my new fangled Spreadsheet and some other bits and bobs and see if I have to alter the formations for the Ups as I suspect I have entered them the wrong way round.

Phil

So may I check please?

The following set of coaches was the 07.30 from Exeter to Waterloo (arriving 11.08) and is shown in this order on the WTT at Waterloo ready to go as the 11.45 to Exmouth:

Loco   (presumably, as I have put it here at the top of the list)

3 Set L

2x SK

BCK

RF

SO

3 Set L

BCK

(Buffers @ Platform 11)

BUT, did the train arrive in this order?

(Buffers @ Platform 11)

Loco

BCK

3 Set L

SO

RF

BCK

2x SK

3 Set L

(Buffers!)

Sorry but I keep imagining the printed coach set sitting in the Platform on arrival and just being the same way round when it leaves. Doh!

I know this is nerdy but it is annoying me.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

By the way young sir, why are trains going to Walton from Plymouth? If you want to go to Walton you catch a train from London, Liverpool Street Station and change at Thorpe -le-Soken. Use to be through coaches to Walton, they would split the train at Thorpe -le-Soken.

There is a very nice Pie and Mash shop next door to the chippy for those who don't like pie and mash in Walton.

Look here old chap, that what you are talkin' about must be Walton on the Naze. The Walton wot I am talkin' about is Walton on Thames and that's posh. I was not aware that there were extensive carriage sidings out there.

P

• RMweb Gold

Well, Walton on Thames is not as posh as Chertsey or Weybridge and it is next to Hersham, which is not posh at all. The amateur football team Walton and Hersham had a really good cup run in 1969. A partly erased bit of graffiti celebrating that success gave Jimmy Pursey the idea for the name of his band Sham '69.

Edited by colin penfold
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Well, Walton on Thames is not as posh as Chertsey or Weybridge and it is next to Hersham, which is not posh at all. The amateur football team Walton and Hersham had a really good cup run in 1969. A partly erased bit of graffiti celebrating that success gave Jimmy Pursey the idea for the name of his band Sham '69.

Laced up boots and corduroys.;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Had a few punch-ups with the skins that used follow Sham 69.

Anyhow isn't Walton in Liverpool?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1