SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The big clear up and pack away has begun. It is my idea that if stuff isn't there then I can get on and do scenic work and other technical things such as fitting point motors and building station platforms.

Hoo Rah

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The big clear up and pack away has begun. It is my idea that if stuff isn't there then I can get on and do scenic work and other technical things such as fitting point motors and building station platforms.

Hoo Rah

Looking forward to seeing progress. You may have to change the thread title again...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 31A said:

We got off the train there in 2007, thinking we would have something to eat & drink before the next one was due, but found neither (and the one horse had left town) but there was a small railway museum run by locals for locals, where they insisted on taking our photos sitting on a scooter / inspection trolley contraption:

1602807502_RailwayMuseum1.jpg.0da2a075e02e503130fa35458bc47db1.jpg

I can't seem to find anything about it on line now, so maybe it's followed the horse!

Brilliant, Steve! I’ve only been through it, on the midday train from Wernigerode to Eisfelder Talmuhle, and back to Drei Annen Hohne. Most of the intermediate stations are distinctly dead and alive. But the trains are sumptuous!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

They got 2 too many at the weekend!

Got to be honest & say I really hope they don't get that many next Saturday.

I know that the greenies could do with a few more points but my lot could really make much better use of the 3 on offer.  After what we've been through for the last few years, the high court has finally chucked out the Oystons & given us a chance to get back a bit of self-respect.  Would be nice if the rest of the football community would join in & help  .  .  .  .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Got to be honest & say I really hope they don't get that many next Saturday.

I know that the greenies could do with a few more points but my lot could really make much better use of the 3 on offer.  After what we've been through for the last few years, the high court has finally chucked out the Oystons & given us a chance to get back a bit of self-respect.  Would be nice if the rest of the football community would join in & help  .  .  .  .

Don't think you need to worry. PA have been woeful for most of the time I have seen them, (and the rest of the time as well), this season, except for about 30 minutes or so away at Sunderland when they had that particularly good side rattled and against Shrewsbury at HP where the first10 minutes was like watching England. They are only just surviving because there are about six other sides that are equally inconsistent and unpredictable and aa few more who are doomed.

As for your team's 'situation', you will get most fans respect but bu##er all else from the FA/FL. The latter is seeing over the death of the lower division clubs and that is very sad indeed. Let's hope it is a sunny day at the least. 

Good to have you 'back' by the way.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You lucky, lucky fellow.

The Harz system, about 90 route miles of it, every one of which sees steam at least once per day, should be on your bucket list, Tim. I do not classify myself as a dedicated steam buff by comparison with many on RMweb, but this is simply stunning - and Sherry has been more than happy to enjoy the scenery and atmosphere on two visits, too.  I found the metre-gauge Harz to be more impressive than the 750mm railways we sampled further east, in Saxony. Drei Annen Hohne mid-afternoon, when there are three trains in at once, and engines are being exchanged and watered, is off any scale I have known since 1968. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Harz system, about 90 route miles of it, every one of which sees steam at least once per day, should be on your bucket list, Tim. I do not classify myself as a dedicated steam buff by comparison with many on RMweb, but this is simply stunning - and Sherry has been more than happy to enjoy the scenery and atmosphere on two visits, too.  I found the metre-gauge Harz to be more impressive than the 750mm railways we sampled further east, in Saxony. Drei Annen Hohne mid-afternoon, when there are three trains in at once, and engines are being exchanged and watered, is off any scale I have known since 1968. 

I had a trip on the Brocken in 2016, which was on of the most memorable steam trips I've ever taken and comes very close to knocking the Welsh Highland off my personal steam railway favourites list.

I really want to go back and do the Harzquerbahn and the Selketalbahn, but I'm not sure when that is going to be possible at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I had a trip on the Brocken in 2016, which was on of the most memorable steam trips I've ever taken and comes very close to knocking the Welsh Highland off my personal steam railway favourites list.

I really want to go back and do the Harzquerbahn and the Selketalbahn, but I'm not sure when that is going to be possible at the moment.

It's certainly a remarkable system and well worth a visit, not least because I understand there may be some financial question marks over the future of some of it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've read about it in "Today's Railways Europe" in recent months, and I think also in "Steam Railway" magazine.  Apparently the majority of tourists head for the Brocken section which consequently is viable, but the whole network is jointly financed by several local authorities, some of which are served by parts which are less viable and consequently don't think they're getting value for money.  I think even the Quedlinburg-Gernrode section, which was only converted from standard to narrow gauge in recent years to allow steam trains to serve Quedlinburg, is said to be financially questionable.  On my October 2014 trip, we had the diesel railcar virtually to ourselves on some sections of the Selketal line.  Hence I would certainly encourage as many enthusiasts as possible to visit.  Even for the non enthusiast the scenery is wonderful, and Quedlinburg itself is a UNESCO World Heritage site, thanks to its half timbered ("Fachwerk") buildings; Wernigerode town centre is also very picturesque and even Nordhausen which looks quite "Sovietic" in the area around around the station has an attractive 'old town' area.  But as a working narrow gauge system operating scheduled steam it must be unparalleled, even though some sections now only have very few steam workings per day.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For various reasons, my opportunities for visiting are unfortunately limited at the moment, but I am supposed to be visiting family in Hannover later this year, which might yield a possibility, although I'd also like to sample the Molli line in Mecklenburg, with it's fantastic street running.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I say old beans, it is bad enough that my layout is half dead/half alive without the news that some lovely little steamy train set is going down the Toilette. Such sad news and I didn't even know it existed (well the part you lot are on about). In fact it is so sad that I even started to look at HO Models and that could be seriously dangerous.

Today, I was going to continue dans la Junction, but I think I glutened myself at lunch time and have just woken up having had to collapse in bed since 14.00. My sincere apologies. Seriously pi##ed off now.

Ar£

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oh, by the way, Phil, have you decided which Terrier you're going to get, yet?

I am allergic to dogs unless they are gluten free, germ free, do not do poos and do not smell their own testicles or . So, maybe the well behaved one in Black with later emblem might find its' way into the same storage box as my P.

Yo (and I'm still pi##ed off).

Ar$£ 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Why do you keep your pee in a storage box?  Most of us are relieved to be rid of it.

Also, keeping your new loco in a box full of pee would probably do little to enhance its running.

Just saying, that's all - your foibles have no effect on me!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

For various reasons, my opportunities for visiting are unfortunately limited at the moment, but I am supposed to be visiting family in Hannover later this year, which might yield a possibility, although I'd also like to sample the Molli line in Mecklenburg, with it's fantastic street running.

It's not that far from Hannover to the Harz; on my second trip I did it by train from there with a change (and break for lunch) in Goslar, which in itself is a place worth having a wander round.  I should think it would have to be more than a day trip, though!

The Mollibahn is well worth a visit too; not only for the street running through Bad Doberan but once clear of that the trains run quite fast for the narrow gauge, the locos being comparatively 'big wheelers'.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Why do you keep your pee in a storage box?  Most of us are relieved to be rid of it.

Also, keeping your new loco in a box full of pee would probably do little to enhance its running.

Just saying, that's all - your foibles have no effect on me!

I am relieved ……… too often to be confident when travelling. I am also deglutened thank goodness; two slices of GF toast and some baked beans (GF) almost kills me. WTF is that all about?

Tomorrow is another day.

Other news is that a very kind webber actually asked a pal of his to get some pics of a Honiton Incline road overbridge for me and lo, he did just that. Quite a challenge so effort was required and so I am very grateful indeed. What a kind and helpful family most of RMWeb is. Thank you.

P

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having been ok for a couple of days I have been spending some time packing lots of stock away to create clearer areas ready for work on points and scenics.

Today I did not make a film about unboxing my Rodney (not the plonker) but I did confirm that it is a lightweight and that it is a very neat model indeed and seems to be a smoothy on the DC Rolling Road. I might fit a chip if I have a suitable one and I can get the tender apart without a faff. It might then get an outing next week. Such fun.

Coincidentally I also found my two existing and aged Baccy Nelsons. I think I might keep one because they can be chipped by somebody and the other may well go to a web friend when I rediscover their contact.

P

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Decided to move the layout forward in time to the 80s? Which Hornby Class 50 did you renumber to 50021?

Actually, apart from the ripping up of most of the track and creating a desolate Station site (not unlike it is a present but without forests of undergrowth), with only Stubby's Hut and a Platform 1 + manky building (not yet constructed by said Stubbs as he is sensibly awaiting any progress), I had considered doing something like that. I can get about as far as 1967 but 87 would be really very difficult and I wouldn't have a NSE 50 tucked away anyway. (I do have one of those green livery IKBs (with excellent sound, but with EM wheel sets). 

Suppose I could do a fantasy era where the whole area survived reasonably well preserved, except perhaps the Branch being a heritage line, including Trams, with the Junction being the heritage HQ and NSE expresses running a full timetable as they should have done, along with steam workings to and from Salisbury and other areas (via Yeovil) and a local service at peak times with  additional facilities for P & R.

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have April to finish DM4MS for it's  visit to SWAG at Taunton, then it's  on with the Seaton Stn Building.

I like the idea of the station still existing in it's entirety,  with a heritage branch and occasional steam specials on the main line, as a light interlude alternative to the general SR 1950's flavour.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1