SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, timbowilts said:

Now not only are Argyle  in the relegation zone but also without a manager............

Commiserations :cry:

Tim T

That beggars belief to me. The greens have a massive game to play and now, of all moments, is when the board decides to sack the manager and his number 2. They should have acted 10 games ago or at the end of the season. That's just self-destructive doing it now. Who's going to do the tactics and selection for a huge survival game, the tea lady?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

That beggars belief to me. The greens have a massive game to play and now, of all moments, is when the board decides to sack the manager and his number 2. They should have acted 10 games ago or at the end of the season. That's just self-destructive doing it now. Who's going to do the tactics and selection for a huge survival game, the tea lady?

Well, it would seem that she couldn't do a worse job...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, colin penfold said:

The whole atmosphere in Plymuff footy land has changed from hatred, despair and doom to one of total euphoria Colin! Game is sold out and everyone is buzzing and looking forward to seeing what the players can really do when let loose. Of course it could all go #### up, but the thinking is that it will be a blistering game and blood and thunder as both sides need to win. The chap in charge for Saturday has been the third man in the dugout all season and is respected by the players, some of whom want to show what they really can do as they are remaining and others want to show what we are going to miss.

I fear for Scunthorpe, however I also feel very sorry for them too; nobody wants to see a team going down.

If, after all this, the greens do not perform it will only be the players that don't appear to have given their all that get a roasting and that will be mild compared to what would have happened had DA and PW actually been there. There was a possibility that there would have been serious trouble with the thugs getting violent. Onwards and upwards as they say in Gardeners' Question Time and win or lose Saturday, it is only a game ……...but COYG's (and thank the Lord it isn't Sunderland, Barnsley or Portsmouth we are playing.

N. Warnock.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Well there was absolutely no help from Sunderland who failed to turn up at Southend. Fair play to them for taking advantage.

Really pleased that an apalling lack of sportsmanship didn't benefit Scunthorpe. Very, very poor.

• Agree 2

Totally not football related, but a friend of mine's father passed away last year and is now trying to sort out the collection.

There are various GWR, BR, ex LNER, LMS  and even one or two SR locos in the collection, which ranges from early HD through Tirang to Airfix Lima and one or two later dat achy and Cringeby products.

He's been offered £ 12 a loco by one of the dealers - lots have been repainted, albeit very well, ad there are precious few boxes, but dies the seem cheap to you folks or about right given the pig in a pokery nature go buying collections?

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

Depending on how rich the dealer is, 12 Pounds a pop seems reasonable considering he's offered nearly 500 quid.  There is a bit too much variety and over the years such things as detail and running capabilities have improved over older models.  We've all got them or had them and a lot depends on how badly the seller wants them gone.

Brian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the thoughts chaps. They  were down weeks ago in reality. Shambles season. Scunny Chairman was furious (was listening to match on Local radio )about what happened and will be #speaking to his manager and team tomorrow!!!!!!  Many of their fans were also disgusted saying it brought shame to their club etc. Both down and, of course, some dic# head so called fans will hold a grudge. Stupid game really.

P

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Totally not football related, but a friend of mine's father passed away last year and is now trying to sort out the collection.

There are various GWR, BR, ex LNER, LMS  and even one or two SR locos in the collection, which ranges from early HD through Tirang to Airfix Lima and one or two later dat achy and Cringeby products.

He's been offered £ 12 a loco by one of the dealers - lots have been repainted, albeit very well, ad there are precious few boxes, but dies the seem cheap to you folks or about right given the pig in a pokery nature go buying collections?

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3428.jpg

IMG_3429.jpg

IMG_3430.jpg

A chap my wife used to work for was selling off a collection inherited from his father about two years ago.. I went to have a look but there was nothing to interest me - mainly 1960’s OO and TT stuff but he had been offered £1800 by a collector and was getting further offers. 

From memory , and as far as I can tell by the photos , his collection was nowhere near as big as the one in the pics you have posted, and there was nothing exceptional about their condition. I am not sure how many there are in the collection you have shown. Unless he wants to shift them urgently I would certainly get a few more offers.

• Agree 1

Phil

Please don't take this the wrong way!

Took this pic earier, and thought of you.

DSC_2645.JPG.6d2484e334262261fb32771e130d4f68.JPG

DSC_2649.JPG.3266fd1028079e4ad19006ed637c2a59.JPG

Kind of reminds me of when we first met....

All the best

TONY

ps didn't establish the voracity of the tender, I'm afraid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 19:21, Mulgabill said:

Phil

Please don't take this the wrong way!

Took this pic earier, and thought of you.

DSC_2645.JPG.6d2484e334262261fb32771e130d4f68.JPG

DSC_2649.JPG.3266fd1028079e4ad19006ed637c2a59.JPG

Kind of reminds me of when we first met....

All the best

TONY

ps didn't establish the voracity of the tender, I'm afraid.

No problems. Much appreciated. Still looks lovely.

Maybe meet again sometime on a day out. I'm hoping it is the West Somerset next year around the time of the SWAG event.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

No problems. Much appreciated. Still looks lovely.

Maybe meet again sometime on a day out. I'm hoping it is the West Somerset next year around the time of the SWAG event.

Phil

I agree wholeheartedly, and the WSR needs our support.

However I'm not sure we'll see any Merchant Navys, but cute panniers are quite possible, so CK could be there.

All the best

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is it very wrong of me to want a model of a large American articulated steam locomotive?

On a three foot plank yes.

If you have a basement or garage with a multi-level North American railway then what have you been running all these years.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

On a three foot plank yes.

If you have a basement or garage with a multi-level North American railway then what have you been running all these years.

But what if you don't even have a three foot plank?

Alas, my not quite as big as a Big Boy articulated steam loco has to content itself to remain in its box.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, mdvle said:

But what if you don't even have a three foot plank?

Alas, my not quite as big as a Big Boy articulated steam loco has to content itself to remain in its box.

844 - isn't that a not so Big Boy, that missing 8 wheels will make is 2 foot plank friendly.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

844 - isn't that a not so Big Boy, that missing 8 wheels will make is 2 foot plank friendly.

In my case, it is missing 4 wheels, as well as the UP part, given it is from the other side of the country being a N&W 2-8-8-2.

Lovely model, but no where to put it.

Sadly, also expect that it might frighten the cute little paniers given its size and strangeness.

Edited by mdvle
  • Funny 1

Is it wrong for me to say I preferred them as coal burners - I am sure they made more smoke when the combustion wasn't quite as attuned as it is now.

Watching the videos from the weekend - I get the impression there is plenty of steam being generated but no not much smoke, perhaps it is just too easy for such a large loco with only a few coaches (an 844 and an EMD assisting).

Found a video of 3985 in '89, making a lovely contribution to Global Warming.  It was converted to oil in 1990.

Edited by woodenhead
adding date of oil burning for 3985
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Is it wrong for me to say I preferred them as coal burners - I am sure they made more smoke when the combustion wasn't quite as attuned as it is now.

Watching the videos from the weekend - I get the impression there is plenty of steam being generated but no not much smoke, perhaps it is just too easy for such a large loco with only a few coaches (an 844 and an EMD assisting).

Found a video of 3985 in '89, making a lovely contribution to Global Warming

Nothing can make as much smoke as an oil burner. The fuel oil concerned is very sticky and very sooty. Every few miles the fireman has to clear the boiler tubes by putting a shovelful of sand into the firebox. The resulting black cloud (and the noise) is quite something even on a 2-8-2. On a 4-8-8-4, it must be quite incredible.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

I agree wholeheartedly, and the WSR needs our support.

However I'm not sure we'll see any Merchant Navys, but cute panniers are quite possible, so CK could be there.

All the best

They have a very good looking 2.8.0. and that should frighten some of the lads (and lasses if any come).

P

• Agree 1