SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Of course our politicians know the sense of history, culture and architecture, that is why they want to spend tax money on rebuilding their place (museum) of work  so it is fit for the 19th century.

Don't talk about the war...………...

P

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have not been to North Woolwich for many years. It stood derelict for many years until being rather nicely restored as a museum. I take it, from your post, that it has become derelict again - a real shame.

Yes, I can’t remember exactly when, but I think it was round about 2006 when the branch itself was closed and the Docklands Light Railway was opened to King George V. The museum had a lovely atmosphere to it, but I suppose geographically it was poorly placed to be a success.

Its tragic that there is now so little historical record of the branch and the whole PLA dock area. When I was knee high to a grasshopper my mum used to take me to work on a Saturday morning, to the ships suppliers near Victoria Dock . I would spend the morning gazing out of her office window at the maze of dock railways and PLA saddle tanks struggling with seemingly endless trains of vans to and from the docks. It really was amazing but unlike the big stations and mainlines, hardly anyone bothered to photograph it so now it’s all swept away with relatively little record that it ever existed.

I once spoke to a fireman who worked frieghts on the branch and e was telling me about the difficultly of getting through the tunnel which ran under Victoria Dock from Custom House one side to Slivertown on the other, and which, running under water as it did was always wet. Long heavy sugar beet trains for the Tate &Lyle factory at Silvertown would come down from East Anglia behind a KI 2-6-0 which would come off at Stratford and be replaced by an Austerity 2-8-0 specifically to get through the slippery Silvertown tunnel, which the Austerity would just about fit in and he swore the cab of the loco hit the roof of the tunnel at times as it rocked and rolled over the wet track , slipping like mad ! Regrettably, it was another part of railway history that has gone unrecorded and hardly anyone now remembers. More than sad, it’s tragic .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Freshwater, Isle of Wight station was replaced by a Co-op, but now they have moved to a new, larger premises down the road.

Part of the goods yard end is now a garden centre, operated by one of the former coal merchants that used the railway yard in earlier times. The 'End of the Line' cafe has photos of the line on the walls, and there is a topiary locomotive outside near the railway path to Yarmouth. Parts of the old platform still exist, as does the WW2 pillbox, which is now a roundabout in the middle of the car park.

• Informative/Useful 1

Coming back to railway topics for a moment

Would I be stretching even Rule 1 beyond breaking point if I put one of these in my new shed layout?

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/rivarossi-h0-1-87-union-pacific-heavy-freight-train-steam-locomotive-class-4000-big-boy-running-number-4014-special-edition-in-celebration-of-the-150th-anniversary-of-the-first-transcontinental-railroad.html

I know now I shouldn’t, for a million reasons... but...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Would I be stretching even Rule 1 beyond breaking point if I put one of these in my new shed layout?

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/rivarossi-h0-1-87-union-pacific-heavy-freight-train-steam-locomotive-class-4000-big-boy-running-number-4014-special-edition-in-celebration-of-the-150th-anniversary-of-the-first-transcontinental-railroad.html

It probably wouldn't fit!  What's with this Hornby Rivarossi, thing, did they buy it?

Brian.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It probably wouldn't fit!  What's with this Hornby Rivarossi, thing, did they buy it?

Brian.

I believe they bought it many years ago - I'd love to see it go around second radius curves!  But given I'm thinking of a preservation era engine shed, and Peterborough had a swedish engine for a while,SVR has an S160,  plus lots of societies had USA tanks - one cannot help but wonder 'what if the EU hadn't got rid of steam and needs something bigger than a Kriegslok...?'

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

I don't know about Rule 1, but it wound certainly break MY budget :jester:

Imagine one of those monsters up the Junction!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

I believe they bought it many years ago - I'd love to see it go around second radius curves!  But given I'm thinking of a preservation era engine shed, and Peterborough had a swedish engine for a while,SVR has an S160,  plus lots of societies had USA tanks - one cannot help but wonder 'what if the EU hadn't got rid of steam and needs something bigger than a Kriegslok...?'

A lot of bridge and other infrastructure builders would have been very happy and rich given the amount of stuff it would take out on its first trip.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Carnforth had a French compound pacific, a German 3 cylinder pacific (03?) and a German 06-0 tank in the 70's. So why not a Big Boy  Y6B? The Riva ones do go around silly curves too, or they used to.  The engines are both pivoted IIRC, not like the real thing where the read engine is rigid to the boiler.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Carnforth had a French compound pacific, a German 3 cylinder pacific (03?) and a German 06-0 tank in the 70's. So why not a Big Boy  Y6B? The Riva ones do go around silly curves too, or they used to.  The engines are both pivoted IIRC, not like the real thing where the read engine is rigid to the boiler.

I've been rigid to my old boiler for ages and it isn't being improved by Pilates or Tai Chi. I understand your concerns.

L. Agging.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've been rigid to my old boiler for ages and it isn't being improved by Pilates or Tai Chi. I understand your concerns.

L. Agging.

Does she know you call her that?

St. Irrer

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I did warn you all that some Italian artisan bakers were loose in Totnes, but no one seems to have taken any notice.

Now they have multiplied and have accorded themselves the status of 'hero'. And they've been joined by some Japanese people.

Whatever next?

20190516_093712.jpg.65727d13c9a855f937d4f98a9c041f94.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I did warn you all that some Italian artisan bakers were loose in Totnes, but no one seems to have taken any notice.

Now they have multiplied and have accorded themselves the status of 'hero'. And they've been joined by some Japanese people.

Whatever next?

20190516_093712.jpg.65727d13c9a855f937d4f98a9c041f94.jpg

Yummy

• Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

some Japanese people

Google translate on my phone, by taking a picture of the computer screen, says the word in the middle of the sign is Japanese for 'diner', phonetically teishoku-ya, which is close enough to canteen I suppose. Mind you that US hamburger chain calls itself a 'restaurant', but I've never seen tablecloths and silver service there.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2019 at 21:28, eastwestdivide said:

Google translate on my phone, by taking a picture of the computer screen, says the word in the middle of the sign is Japanese for 'diner', phonetically teishoku-ya, which is close enough to canteen I suppose. Mind you that US hamburger chain calls itself a 'restaurant', but I've never seen tablecloths and silver service there.

I went to a posh restaurant, very disappointed as I never saw any of the clowns my mate said worked there. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I went to a posh restaurant, very disappointed as I never saw any of the clowns my mate said worked there. 

Probably juggling plates in the back kitchen?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I went to a posh restaurant and I had to look closely at the plate too see the food,  I think it would be hard pushed to cover a saucer. I could count the chips on the fingers of one hand and still have spare. I had to go to the chippy afterwards to fill up along with about 3/4 of the group I was with,  before hitting the pub.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3