SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi you two.....

The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and I had to pay them to get out.  The day I left the last thing I had to do was hand over the money. The paymaster had mucked me about just over a year before. So there was me with my £800 pounds in pound notes (remember them), I got to seven hundred and ninety something and said " I think I have miscounted", and proceeded to start again. There was nothing he could do about it, the second he had my money I was Mr Mortimore no longer Craftsman Mortimore 294.

Ah REME- wasn’t it your lot whose slogan was ‘ if at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger hammer?’

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Ah REME- wasn’t it your lot whose slogan was ‘ if at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger hammer?’

No. I was a gun fitter so extra skilled in using a 'ammer compared to other REME trades. It isn't the size of the 'ammer that gets the job done but knowing how 'ard to hit it, where to hit it, and the appropriate word to use if the padre wasn't in ear shot.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No. I was a gun fitter so extra skilled in using a 'ammer compared to other REME trades. It isn't the size of the 'ammer that gets the job done but knowing how 'ard to hit it, where to hit it, and the appropriate word to use if the padre wasn't in ear shot.

Also the Boilermakers mantra, no problems with padres or the bish,  being a civilian in a navy dockyard.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Definitive proof that the 70s were brown and fuzzy and Great Western...

401060486_westerncampaigner.PNG.8f804acefafb2ff9e4565229ad4e57fc.PNG

My first ever railway photograph, Sunday 13th of February 1977...

may as well have been 1877 judging by the quality of my picture

Was on that train. The three "clouds" top left, centre and right look very realistic.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, a shed bash railtour by train (mainly midlands and a bit of northwest) and coach (Brum to South Wales and back on a Sunday) I did from Plymuff, over three days, in early April 1963, resulted in seeing over 3.500 loco's and I copped just over 1200. Took me at least a year to save up for that, organised by a bloke from Weymouth. Them were the days, including not staying anywhere except Birmingham New Street over part of two nights. They were still building diesels at Crewe Works (Westerns I think they were) and Derby Works (25s).

I went to Stratford (London) in 1960 and saw over 250 locos around the site (School trip from Plymuff to do Stratford and Top Shed with Ben Hur to fall asleep in during the afternoon). My parents thought I had gone to Madame Tussauds as they were worried I was doing too much train spotting and it was interfering with my studies. :swoon:

If anyone wonders why I like SR stuff it is because I could get to Exeter from Plymuff & return for a few shillings to see Packets and Arthurs in the early 60s.

Ar$£

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've got a small but classic collection of pics from around that time; mainly Wellingborough (where I lived then), Carlisle and Settle Carlisle near Appleby.

P

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

OK, a shed bash railtour by train (mainly midlands and a bit of northwest) and coach (Brum to South Wales and back on a Sunday) I did from Plymuff, over three days, in early April 1963, ......................

We used to have a Railway and Canal Society at school. (They were all called 'Society', Headmaster thought 'Clubs' were a bit seedy.)

We organised a lot of trips as we could get day returns to other cities for a few shillings. Travelled around by bus when we got there. Remember doing Manchester to try out the new electrics between Crewe and Piccadilly, visiting Trafford Park, Patricroft, Newton Heath, Gorton (Shed and Works), Reddish, Longsight and Edgeley before we ran out of time. Caught a DMU from Stockport to Birmingham which seemed to call at every station via Stoke. 

We later graduated to organising coach trips with Den Caney Coaches. Any old Brum people on here may remember him. When we used him he had two coaches which he used to park outside his house in Harborne. As parked vehicles had to be lit in those days he got hold of a coulpe of roadworks lamps which he used to hang on the side of them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

We did Exmouth Junction legitimately once, permit and all!   Such was the dearth of loco variety at Friary, unless you liked B4s,  Exeter was the only place to get your Southern ABC underlined in any numbers.  Even a trip to Wadebridge or Okehampton could add a tank engine or two.  Never did see the Meldon engine though except once passing the quarry on a Friary bound train.

Brian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Rain, diesel and speed.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

I remember the scorn with which anyone that scored through a number, rather than underlining it,

Scoring through a number used to mean that the loco. was withdrawn, a result of perusing the motive power updates in 'Trains Illustrated'  for that month. Sadly, as we all know, whole classes became extinct in the early 1960's, and 'favourite' cops disappeared from the next combine! (talking West/East Midlands area, late '50s early 60s).

Anybody else used to put a 'P' or a 'C' after the number, (on an extension of the underlining!!), to indicate 'pulled by' or 'cabbed'? Underlining the ABC photograph details for a 'picture cop'???

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 45568 said:

I remember the scorn with which anyone that scored through a number, rather than underlining it,

Scoring through a number used to mean that the loco. was withdrawn, a result of perusing the motive power updates in 'Trains Illustrated'  for that month. Sadly, as we all know, whole classes became extinct in the early 1960's, and 'favourite' cops disappeared from the next combine! (talking West/East Midlands area, late '50s early 60s).

Anybody else used to put a 'P' or a 'C' after the number, (on an extension of the underlining!!), to indicate 'pulled by' or 'cabbed'? Underlining the ABC photograph details for a 'picture cop'???

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I was too much of an arse as a 'score' through could almost be mistaken for a badly underlined 'cop', so I used to make a rectangular box around the number and fill it in! I used to underline sheds I had visited and the pictures if I'd seen the loco. Never thought of C or P though; whad a mistakea to makea.  Must have had too much time to waste methinks. As the post '63 cull increased then this became a chore and I gave up as it used up Biros by the ton and it was about the time that I drifted away to the siren song of the lush birds at the youth club/ church/local stables/ local High School.

Oh, those wasted years...………….

Ar$£ 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 11/06/2019 at 21:12, Clive Mortimore said:

I am far too young to remember the horrors of 70s fashion.  :dancer::dancer:

All you need to know is that men looked more ridiculous in the 70s than at any time since the Norman Conquest.

:drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/06/2019 at 11:12, TheSignalEngineer said:

Amazing how many were around in our youth. I remember going to Rugby with a school friend c1961. First day of the West Midlands car trade holidays. Clacton train about 8am from New Street, back about 6 pm from Rugby. Saw over 200 locos that day.

I was about  13 when I had an Eastern Region Rail Rover ticket (which I still have ) at a cost of £3 -10shillings. I went to Cambridge ( out from Liverpool St, back to Kings Cross )  Sheringham via Norwich , Southend, Doncaster , and Market Rasen via Cambridge Ely and Peterbough  Amazing these days the sort of trips some of us did in our early teens and younger, without even thinking about it. Unthinkable that kids should be allowed that far unaccompanied these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I was too much of an arse as a 'score' through could almost be mistaken for a badly underlined 'cop', so I used to make a rectangular box around the number and fill it in! I used to underline sheds I had visited and the pictures if I'd seen the loco. Never thought of C or P though; whad a mistakea to makea.  Must have had too much time to waste methinks. As the post '63 cull increased then this became a chore and I gave up as it used up Biros by the ton and it was about the time that I drifted away to the siren song of the lush birds at the youth club/ church/local stables/ local High School.

Oh, those wasted years...………….

Ar$£ 

I wouldn't regard time spent chasing lush birds as wasted.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

So you can't sing either?

8 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Or play the hamonica.....

...and now he is knockin' on heaven's door!

I adopted the Peter Asher (of Peter and Gordon) 'look' in 1963 the one with the specsimage.png.cb3b1a50d25c3a406afffebe7f156750.png until 1966 and then decided I was John Lennon with the St Pepper style hair but no tash. That hair lasted until the early 80s and then has gradually disappeared as many of  you know!

P

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I've had exactly the same hairstyle since I adopted it in the early 1980s.  There will be no pictures.

Apart from a few ill-advised years of no.1s, at which my wife informed me I looked like mr potato head.

You must have been terribly constipated to have no number twos.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5