SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

On 14/06/2019 at 21:37, Clive Mortimore said:

Never heard the early Brush 2s called Baldies, they were always Toffee Apples*. The blue star disc headcode locos were called Skinheads by 80s spotters but real Skinheads were Sulzer Bo-Bos. 

* Toffee Apples because of shape of one of the control handles that was removed and returned to stores (without looking at me books I cannot remember if it was the power handle or the brake).

I was really referring jokingly to the Soviet translation of skinheads. I never actually heard anything referred to as skinheads until Hornby brought out their..Er.. Skinhead Type 2.

Yes ,the Toffee Apples technically referred to the early Brush Type 2’s because of the shape of the power handle  but it seems to have become a bit of a generic term for the whole class according to some although after, I think , the first 20 they had a totally different control desk with no toffee apple lever. Strangely enough, in all the hours I spent at Liverpool St. I never heard them referred to as Toffee Apples. I am not dead sure about this but I think the “toffee apple “ was what the Stratford drivers called the control handle itself but the name came to mean the loco when some spotters picked up the term.

Not surprising our wife’s think we are bonkers , when we get carried away with these things !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The drunker they are the more they spend on betting.

As for the horses how many end up on a dinner plate in Belgium if they don't perform?

Bet they don't get that far, with a nice sauce in a London restaurant I bet you wouldn't know..;)

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

How come so many people get pi$$ed at race meetings and then inflict their staggeringly (literally) crude behaviour on the innocents? Discuss!

P.S. I think a couple of them (female..... well sort of) may have rolled up in a taxi at 36E during the troubles, fell out of the taxi, staggered across the road and stumbled & zig zagged in a most dangerous way down towards platforms 3/4. May not have been from York, but they were dressed (undressed?) like they had been somewhere like the races.  Fortunately they were too far gone to be bothered with the huddled group of spotters waiting for Tornado (including me). I wonder of they made it to wherever they were heading ?

I think I saw those two on the station earlier.  Difficult to be sure though as there were dozens fitting the description.  I've really no idea WHY, but it seems to be the law that they DO.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

I was really referring jokingly to the Soviet translation of skinheads. I never actually heard anything referred to as skinheads until Hornby brought out their..Er.. Skinhead Type 2.

Yes ,the Toffee Apples technically referred to the early Brush Type 2’s because of the shape of the power handle  but it seems to have become a bit of a generic term for the whole class according to some although after, I think , the first 20 they had a totally different control desk with no toffee apple lever. Strangely enough, in all the hours I spent at Liverpool St. I never heard them referred to as Toffee Apples. I am not dead sure about this but I think the “toffee apple “ was what the Stratford drivers called the control handle itself but the name came to mean the loco when some spotters picked up the term.

Not surprising our wife’s think we are bonkers , when we get carried away with these things !

About 50 years ago, in my Control days, I do recall our motive power controller being somewhat bemused when Liv St Control's man came on demanding his toffee-apple engine back. A Brush Type 2 had got marooned at Norwood for some reason. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I had forgotten that I had ordered a new Hornby Bulleid 59' Set; one coach is available now and on its' way. Hoorah.

Phil

Hi Phil

If there is anything else you have forgotten you ordered please ask Mr Postman or Ms Postlady to redirect it to Mortimore Ranch, Soloby. By the time it arrives you would have forgotten where you sent it.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Phil

If there is anything else you have forgotten you ordered please ask Mr Postman or Ms Postlady to redirect it to Mortimore Ranch, Soloby. By the time it arrives you would have forgotten where you sent it.

Would that include the Suction Pump, Truss, special pants and Porta Potty?:bad:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Even Royal Ascot sees bad behaviour. I have only spotted the Police mobile lock-ups articulated trailer at two stations, Glastonbury and Ascot.

Well you definitely need special pants and a suction pump at Arsecot but I'm not sure about the Truss. Port Potties are provided I believe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I am going to have to update my wardrobe...…………..

image.png.1de323b22616332d0fa175594b39135a.png

…...unsure if this will be OK for the possible ANTB gathering at the Severn Valley Railway, however

it should be OK for the West Somerset and SWAG do next year.

Ar$£

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

…...unsure if this will be OK for the possible ANTB gathering at the Severn Valley Railway, however

Ar$£

WTF!!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Ar$£

Wot the black, red and white shirt or the blue jacket and white cap....real trendy.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ar$£

This could be the one occasion when Black Rat loses the loudest shirt competition.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Choose your pub carefully if you wear the pink thingy.

Judging by his left eye and the top of his head, the male model may have already made that mistake.  :vava_mini:

BTW has anyone (else) figured out what the outfit represents?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, teaky said:

Judging by his left eye and the top of his head, the male model may have already made that mistake.  :vava_mini:

Well deary if you don't know then your not in with the scene. :declare:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, teaky said:

It is a quiet protest about P4DCC shunting layouts or anything to do with the Midland..

Ar$£

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

It is a quiet protest about P4DCC shunting layouts or anything to do with the Midland..

Ar$£

I fear you may be mistaken my feathery chum.  I can't see the two wires for DCC and if it was Midland wouldn't it be double-headed?  :tomato:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Ar$£

Now then young Philip, it has bu88er all to do with the Midland, there is no crimson lake full of blood. But I fully agree with you about the P4DCC shunting layout thing, the "audience" look as excited as  the crowd at Alley Pally when viewing Pig Lane, Western Region.

Now perhaps if my assistant on the day was dressed like this then........who knows. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ar$£

Wonder if his name is  'Johnny'...;)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

You may think what you like but I can't possibly comment as the Purity Patrol will block my post and may even expel me from web.

I thought you had written Pituitary patrol there...……………………….:heat:

• Like 2