SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Thank you Mr Pinfield. This time last year we wuz mourning the demise of the Greens, now things are different. OK your links are very helpful except:

Mousa are only the 'Deposit' type and so probably never going to appear sadly; I have deposited £1 though, in hope. The 3D stuff is the Gate Stock wot I already has from Kernow; lovely set of coaches that be.

25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

snow.jpg-02.jpeg

Oh ummmmmmmmmmm!

P

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I always assumed it was coming down from Meldon, just before Oakhampton Station. It’s a nice walk up there from  the station, they do a reasonable cup of tea when you get back.

Rich

I though it was as it is full but being a shorty version maybe it is west of Meldon somewhere or even in the Withered bit? Didn't think the Bogies went west of the Viaduct though? Maybe the headcode is both ways and not just to Meldon which seems illogical if the wagons are loaded Mr Spock.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 31A said:

Well that was a ripping yarn!  Very moving actually; I haven't seen it for a while.  Thanks for the tip off.

I like almost all of it railway wise but the shootings are awful, especially the chaps that had been on the loco towards the end. I went to see a special showing of that back in the Huntly days and there were anecdotes about the filming and the use of the locos' etc. Fascinating. The aerial view of the train running through the Yards when the bombing was happening was actual full size stuff but with not real bombs of course. I thought those scenes were brilliantly directed and acted.

I remember that Lancaster actually had learned to drive the thing and did his own stunts as well. Brilliant. 

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I like almost all of it railway wise but the shootings are awful, especially the chaps that had been on the loco towards the end. I went to see a special showing of that back in the Huntly days and there were anecdotes about the filming and the use of the locos' etc. Fascinating. The aerial view of the train running through the Yards when the bombing was happening was actual full size stuff but with not real bombs of course. I thought those scenes were brilliantly directed and acted.

I remember that Lancaster actually had learned to drive the thing and did his own stunts as well. Brilliant. 

P

Most of the railway stuff is pretty good isn't it, but I'd forgotten just how many shootings there were in it and didn't remember being so shocked when I'd seen it before.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thank you Mr Pinfield. This time last year we wuz mourning the demise of the Greens, now things are different. OK your links are very helpful except:

Mousa are only the 'Deposit' type and so probably never going to appear sadly; I have deposited £1 though, in hope. The 3D stuff is the Gate Stock wot I already has from Kernow; lovely set of coaches that be.

Oh ummmmmmmmmmm!

P

The 3d one is diagram 136 though? 

Confused of Norfolk

PS teams always play better when I'm not watching them....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

The 3d one is diagram 136 though? 

Confused of Norfolk

PS teams always play better when I'm not watching them....

Well I think so but the Unit in the photo is not gate stock it is rebuilt LBSCR in 1940ish I believe. The front part of the 136 looks OK but the sides are wrong as far as I can tell from another great picture I have in a book that I might be able to find.

I was going to watch them at Bradford again but lad is having a heart op (postponed) at that time and it gives me an excuse not to go as I don't want to really.

Bet you are still confused after that lot....so am I!

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2020 at 13:25, Ashley Bridge said:

Welcome back, your Duckiness.

I can’t tell you how nice it is to have some light relief , we’ve been surviving on tales from the “Great Way Round “ for too long.

Dont get too cold up in your version of the real main line west.

Rich 

CF9B84B0-8A3C-474A-82D5-C6DB721D2140.jpeg

On 01/02/2020 at 13:46, Mallard60022 said:

Oh, that's tasty. Looks like it is running east from Meldon but not sure about that without checking the headcode. Just the sort of train I will be running occasionally. 

Many thanks and to all of you for your such kind and humorous communications.

P

10 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

I always assumed it was coming down from Meldon, just before Oakhampton Station. It’s a nice walk up there from  the station, they do a reasonable cup of tea when you get back.

Rich

Agreed, it's coming downhill from Meldon towards Okehampton, the quarry is over the ridge in the background. Possibly taken from Tors Rd that leads up to Okehampton Camp. The new A30 now runs along on the left an the golf course is downhill on the right.

Nice to see this thread back Phil!

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Agreed, it's coming downhill from Meldon towards Okehampton, the quarry is over the ridge in the background. Possibly taken from Tors Rd that leads up to Okehampton Camp. The new A30 now runs along on the left an the golf course is downhill on the right.

I once I got a shot (using my faithful old MX + 85mm combo), of two Class 33's from pretty much that spot having parked in a nearby pull-in on the "new" road. The trees along there have since got so big you wouldn't even know the railway existed so "new" is probably not the right word any more. :jester:

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, vaughan45 said:

Ok, enough of the double entendres, how about some topical innuendo?

8f5ade22b4405071543406a4e13c684d--wine-cheer.jpg

I prefer R. White's......and I have kept that a secret for about 50 years.

Rewheeled the other two hoppers. The loft is full of Wallri, Wallrusses, Egg Men, The two surviving Beatles and yet another Arthur....'the' Arthur in fact. I have far too many now.....shame.

12 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Thanks bud. I shall find a better set of Disc Code info, or learn that if it says the train is going one way with that code it will also return that way with that code, such is the logic of the jolly SR Disco party manual. However, I have found out why there was a 'strange' disc code on the front of a Spam at SJ on the down Brighton, shown in one of my books. I can now trick route-code pedants with confidence when I eventually post a pic of 'the (down) Brighton' sometime next decade.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Stone trains from Meldon had been part of my railway awareness from an early age. Living near the Redhill-Reading line, I saw these things often, since the stone trains tended to be remarshalled at Woking, and, as I discovered in my Control years, there was a daily SX Q path from there to New Cross Gate or Three Bridges or Tonbridge, all running via Guildford and Redhill, obviously. Skooldays in Dorking were no exception - one could cop passing engine numbers from some classrooms!

About 50 years ago there was a spate of derailments of these trains just down the bank from skool, although Sherry and I had left before then. The wagons by then were even larger Whales, and there was always an awful lot of stone to be cleared up! One felt for the terrified guard as he watched the episode unfold from the back cab! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks bud. I shall find a better set of Disc Code info, or learn that if it says the train is going one way with that code it will also return that way with that code, such is the logic of the jolly SR Disco party manual. However, I have found out why there was a 'strange' disc code on the front of a Spam at SJ on the down Brighton, shown in one of my books. I can now trick route-code pedants with confidence when I eventually post a pic of 'the (down) Brighton' sometime next decade.

P

My 1999 reprint of the 1961 Ian Allan headcode book doesn't list a separate code for trains from Meldon, so I reckon it's a misprint and, as with many SR codes, it applied in both directions.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Stone trains from Meldon had been part of my railway awareness from an early age. Living near the Redhill-Reading line, I saw these things often, since the stone trains tended to be remarshalled at Woking, and, as I discovered in my Control years, there was a daily SX Q path from there to New Cross Gate or Three Bridges or Tonbridge, all running via Guildford and Redhill, obviously. Skooldays in Dorking were no exception - one could cop passing engine numbers from some classrooms!

About 50 years ago there was a spate of derailments of these trains just down the bank from skool, although Sherry and I had left before then. The wagons by then were even larger Whales, and there was always an awful lot of stone to be cleared up! One felt for the terrified guard as he watched the episode unfold from the back cab! 

Presumably this one: https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p367219196/h1194C3B7#h18b97da2

https://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p367219196/h1194C3B7#h793b3c8