SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I did toy with the idea of picking up one of those but resisted for the moment. Two motors seems overkill for that Cravens DPU kit I have in the stash, even with a couple of vans for tail traffic.

On the subject of DMUs, what colour would you recommend for the early lighter shade of DMU green? I'm doing a DTS to go with my 122 and need to get it painted so I can glaze it and get it finished.

Hi Eric

Cut it in half, use one motor under the DPU and the other under a 2 car unit.

Railmatch did do a early and a late DMU green, the early being lighter, not sure they still do. A Southern Region EMU green might be the best.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Railmatch did do a early and a late DMU green, the early being lighter, not sure they still do. A Southern Region EMU green might be the best.

Thanks Clive.

Somewhere I've got a BS shade number which is supposed to be the right one for it. I'll check it out against those, althouigh I don't think Railmatch do the early green now, probably didn't sell enough.

Eric

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

On the subject of DMUs, what colour would you recommend for the early lighter shade of DMU green? I'm doing a DTS to go with my 122 and need to get it painted so I can glaze it and get it finished.

52 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

11 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I don't think Railmatch do the early green now, probably didn't sell enough.

RM307 is still shown on the Howes website.

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/br-early-multiple-unit-green-15ml-enamel/

A moot point in these parts as there is absolutely nowhere in Australia to buy Railmatch (or Phoenix, come to that) paint.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Start an import business....

There will be war in the two Parliaments and chaos at the ports:diablo_mini: Customs and Exorcists will be on heat, as will Mr Bushfire.

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Do Peco do these in bullhead yet?

Yup, and so do the EMGA; saw them yesterday.

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Eric

Cut it in half, use one motor under the DPU and the other under a 2 car unit.

Best thing to do with anything bogcartish :clapping:

Replica....I was seriously tempted yesterday to finally purchase the five 63' MK1, green livery Suburban Coaches, (bits to make a whole load), for an 'Exmouth Set'. Fortunately not all the bits were available yesterday so I couldn't. Sigh of relief, but I will need one eventually and the Replica bits are very tidy mouldings. I shall sell a loco to fund that lot.

P

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I went to Donny with Mr Mallard, we waddled around with Steve (31A). It was a very nice day out. Lovely chips in the fish and chip restaurant across the road...but no Wallies on the menu.  Some nice layouts.

I came home with a Replica powered underframe for a DMU. And some home work from them. More later.

I also came home with a receipt where I have ordered a little lathe and a pillar drill. 

Cath on Booklaw wouldn't let me leave without buying a new book called "First Generation Diesels in East Anglia". Thankfully she stopped me buying for a second time a book she said I bought last time I saw her.

An expensive day out but worth it.

I nearl y picked up a Woodhead: Countdown to closure for a tenner.   Imagine my horror had I bought it and then got home to find I already had it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Had to de-camp to No. 1 daughter's  as we currently have a power cut - estimated time of reconnection 8pm.

SiL is now cooking our Sunday roast :)

Went to daughter's place this morning as I wanted to pick up some supplies at their Allotment Association potato sale. On the way back a couple of hours later the road was covered in debris and there were several previously unencountered fords resulting from uncharted rivers running down the hillside and across the road.

About half way back two cars had come to grief through drinking too much muddy water and the road was blocked. We turned round and managed to get back then took detour. Total round trip normally 16 miles extended to 26 miles.

We will not be venturing out again today, just glad I went to Donny yesterday as my route across the hills was closed this morning.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Went to daughter's place this morning as I wanted to pick up some supplies at their Allotment Association potato sale. On the way back a couple of hours later the road was covered in debris and there were several previously unencountered fords resulting from uncharted rivers running down the hillside and across the road.

About half way back two cars had come to grief through drinking too much muddy water and the road was blocked. We turned round and managed to get back then took detour. Total round trip normally 16 miles extended to 26 miles.

We will not be venturing out again today, just glad I went to Donny yesterday as my route across the hills was closed this morning.

Missed you.....shame. I shall have to wear my duck costume in future. Seemingly nearly 100mph gusts during the mid-day squall at Woodhead today. Ouch.

P

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Seemingly nearly 100mph gusts during the mid-day squall at Woodhead today. Ouch.

Not sure how fast it was registering on the roadside detectors there, but the Manchester University scientific kit on Holme Moss was registering an average wind speed of 55mph this morning. That is taken on a one minute period. A gust has to be at least three second long to register and it was logging gusts of around 75mph at 10am.

When I came over Woodhead yesterday I was doing 60mph almost directly into a 40mph wind. The steering felt distinctly light, I think my airspeed was near take-off.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Not sure how fast it was registering on the roadside detectors there, but the Manchester University scientific kit on Holme Moss was registering an average wind speed of 55mph this morning. That is taken on a one minute period. A gust has to be at least three second long to register and it was logging gusts of around 75mph at 10am.

When I came over Woodhead yesterday I was doing 60mph almost directly into a 40mph wind. The steering felt distinctly light, I think my airspeed was near take-off.

In the Midlands today, the weather was generally not that bad. But there were a couple of brief spells (no more than a few minutes) when there were some serious gusts - presumably when the weather fronts came over. On the M6 near Walsall, a coach was really struggling to hold his position in Lane 2.

Coming home later, a car had been put on its roof on the north carriageway of the M5. Not sure if that was weather related.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

There will be war in the two Parliaments and chaos at the ports:diablo_mini: Customs and Exorcists will be on heat, as will Mr Bushfire.

Yup, and so do the EMGA; saw them yesterday.

Best thing to do with anything bogcartish :clapping:

Replica....I was seriously tempted yesterday to finally purchase the five 63' MK1, green livery Suburban Coaches, (bits to make a whole load), for an 'Exmouth Set'. Fortunately not all the bits were available yesterday so I couldn't. Sigh of relief, but I will need one eventually and the Replica bits are very tidy mouldings. I shall sell a loco to fund that lot.

P

Such a set also figured in a main line working that might interest you, if you don't already know.

0800 Axminster-Exeter Central, hauled by a pacific (often/usually a MN) running tender-first, plus, of course, the up working off which it was formed.

Upon arrival at Exeter the loco was transferred to an up Waterloo working.

John

• Like 2

Well, what a surprise!  Good morning ducky (and everyone else).  You could knock me down with a tail feather - it's been such a long time that I thought you must have ended up in someone's stir-fry!  Does this mean you're back in the land of the living?  Will I have to go & take some more photos/measurements?

Couldn't sleep 'cos of the noise of the wind (I'll have to buy Mrs DS a box of those anti-flatulence tablets next time I can get out of the village) & just stumbled across this by accident.  I see I've now got dozens of pages to catch up so I hope I can keep awake & find out what I've missed.

I'm also worried about what's left of the corrugated iron roof of the barn on the other side of the field behind us.  Last time I saw it it was waving vigorously at me but it's now too dark to see what it's got planned.  I think I might be picking it out of the garden in the morning  .  .  .  .

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Such a set also figured in a main line working that might interest you, if you don't already know.

0800 Axminster-Exeter Central, hauled by a pacific (often/usually a MN) running tender-first, plus, of course, the up working off which it was formed.

Upon arrival at Exeter the loco was transferred to an up Waterloo working.

John

That's the one John. Booked for a Pacific but I have that pic of the Packet in reverse! If I hadn't seen that pic I would not be that fussed, but the unusual is something I just don't seem able to resist. I need to look carefully at the Carriage Notice to see exactly where the Set had been and then if it went back to Exmouth services on return to Central. Fortunately the Loco Diagram is well publicised as you know. I am presuming it was basically a School and Commuter service and that the Chard service, with the Ivatt in the later afternoon, was the 'going home' version'?

Thanks matey.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, devonseasider said:

Well, what a surprise!  Good morning ducky (and everyone else).  You could knock me down with a tail feather - it's been such a long time that I thought you must have ended up in someone's stir-fry!  Does this mean you're back in the land of the living?  Will I have to go & take some more photos/measurements?

Couldn't sleep 'cos of the noise of the wind (I'll have to buy Mrs DS a box of those anti-flatulence tablets next time I can get out of the village) & just stumbled across this by accident.  I see I've now got dozens of pages to catch up so I hope I can keep awake & find out what I've missed.

I'm also worried about what's left of the corrugated iron roof of the barn on the other side of the field behind us.  Last time I saw it it was waving vigorously at me but it's now too dark to see what it's got planned.  I think I might be picking it out of the garden in the morning  .  .  .  .

Greetings dear boy. '...…..land of the living'? Questionable. However, compared to some I am still upright and breathing most of the time so mustn't grumble. I am back to the Doc's (any excuse) today for a long talk about things and some questions about me ticker, but so far nobody seems to be able to explain why I have to spend so much time asleep/lying down/feeling carp. I know why I can hardly walk some days, as that is obvious and manageable (to a degree), but the fatigue and not even being able to summon up the energy to do work in the loft is just so annoying. Think we are on for about year 6 now and still getting nowhere. If I were very rich I would have been to Harley Street by now. However, I am lucky enough to have several good companions up here who have worked up The Junction and strangely still want to help me out. I value their support and will wear it most days.

Regarding your kind offer, the only thing that would be really useful is the Honiton facing side of that lovely white house. I can get Google Street View of the front and sides but not 'round the back'. Also I hope your mobility is now sorted?

Good to hear from you too.

Hope you can use that roofing to raise funds for yet another loco.

ATB

Daffy.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Despite the weather's best efforts, I am now in the Land of Ker.  Or Kern,  Whatevs.

Bit bleak, spongy underfoot, and I can't why all the Hoxton Tw7ts hurry down here every weekend.  I swear I passed a road sign to a village called Vestonbackwards, and another one called Lefthanddownabit.

I hope you have your nerdwanger protective socks with you? Many a Doc has disappeared down that Kervno  luvver. 

https://www.visitcornwall.com/about-cornwall/blogging-cornwall/doc-martin-locations-to-visit

Have fun and try not to annoy the Gulls. Never, ever visit Evavestoff. 

Nancy

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Beware any strangers on Bodmin Moor offering a half-eaten pasty during fog or falling snow.

Someone ate my pasty!:angry:

Joss Merlyn

Jamaica Inn.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2020 at 18:17, Stubby47 said:

Start an import business....

Easier said than done. One shop, in Victoria,  used to stock Railmatch but I suspect that the hassle and cost of shipping flammable (or apparently-non-flammable-but-might-be-so-we-have-to-be-on-the-safe-side-and-stop-you-anyway) liquids in relatively small quantities was more trouble than it was worth.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4