SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Despite the weather's best efforts, I am now in the Land of Ker.  Or Kern,  Whatevs.

Ah, the reason for the visit becomes clearer...  

"Please note, the Kan Rag Kernow Yowynk schools singing event will be held at Kresen Kernow between 11.30am and 2.30pm on Tuesday 11 February."

• Informative/Useful 4

I'm 'enjoying' the tinies sing along. Flat as a pancake, every man jack of 'em....

In other news, Cornwall's going to miss the EU gravy train. Looks like no one else has being trying to fund its way out of post industrial tax dodging second home owning Hoxton tw4t surfing apocalypse.  Its like the north down here but with a view.

Rant over. As you were, Men.

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I'm 'enjoying' the tinies sing along. Flat as a pancake, every man jack of 'em....

In other news, Cornwall's going to miss the EU gravy train. Looks like no one else has being trying to fund its way out of post industrial tax dodging second home owning Hoxton tw4t surfing apocalypse.  Its like the north down here but with a view.

I see things have improved since I was there in the 1970s.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

...I heard that in the voice of John Cooper Clarke!

and now so am I!!

http://johncooperclarke.com/poems/

the man's a genuine poet genius.  

He's even done one for us:

TRAINS

Let’s face it
You either like trains
Or you don’t
And if you do
There seems to be no risk you wouldn’t take
No authority you wouldn’t challenge
Just to take a closer look
You’d think they have something better to do with their brushes and paint
Just because you want to watch the trains go by at close quarters
But remember 
Trespassers will be prosecuted
You cannot be bribed

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/02/2020 at 08:38, Mallard60022 said:

That's the one John. Booked for a Pacific but I have that pic of the Packet in reverse! If I hadn't seen that pic I would not be that fussed, but the unusual is something I just don't seem able to resist. I need to look carefully at the Carriage Notice to see exactly where the Set had been and then if it went back to Exmouth services on return to Central. Fortunately the Loco Diagram is well publicised as you know. I am presuming it was basically a School and Commuter service and that the Chard service, with the Ivatt in the later afternoon, was the 'going home' version'?

Thanks matey.

P

I don’t know if this helps but I’ve gleaned some info from “Exeter Central Summer Saturday 1961”

According to the book and various tables the set is described as S,BS,CS,BS,S. When it gets back from Axminster at 8.49. it is coupled to the six coaches of the 8.21 ex- Exmouth and the whole eleven are put in a siding where they will form part of the 9.30 Waterloo, 9.52, Manchester and 10.45 Exmouth services.

The set we are concerned with which appears to be designated 500 then spends the rest of the day making 7 round trips to Exmouth and back , finishing the day with the 10.17 pm arrival at Exeter. 

The Locomotive duty , (575 in 1961) is unusual as it is the only specifically designated for a rebuilt West Country, which after returning to Exeter returns to Exmouth Junction the  later takes the 8.03 ex-Surbiton Car carrier forward to Okehampton at 11.39 then returns light engine the EJ.  I always thought the rebuilt pacifics were banned West of Exeter but it would appear that by 1961 at least they were permitted as far as Okehampton and apparently the duty 574 specified a rebuilt Pacific for this duty to stop it straying into areas where it was banned by reason of its weight. This was of course a Summer Saturday so the duty may have been different in the week.

Edited by jazzer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I don’t know if this helps but I’ve gleaned some info from “Exeter Central Summer Saturday 1961”

According to the book and various tables the set is described as S,BS,CS,BS,S. When it gets back from Axminster at 8.49. it is coupled to the six coaches of the 8.21 ex- Exmouth and the whole eleven are put in a siding where they will form part of the 9.30 Waterloo, 9.52, Manchester and 10.45 Exmouth services.

The set we are concerned with which appears to be designated 500 then spends the rest of the day making 7 round trips to Exmouth and back , finishing the day with the 10.17 pm arrival at Exeter. 

The Locomotive duty , (575 in 1961) is unusual as it is the only specifically designated for a rebuilt West Country, which after returning to Exeter returns to Exmouth Junction the  later takes the 8.03 ex-Surbiton Car carrier forward to Okehampton at 11.39 then returns light engine the EJ.  I always thought the rebuilt pacifics were banned West of Exeter but it would appear that by 1961 at least they were permitted as far as Okehampton and apparently the duty 574 specified a rebuilt Pacific for this duty to stop it straying into areas where it was banned by reason of its weight. This was of course a Summer Saturday so the duty may have been different in the week.

I think it may have been that Modifieds were not allowed west of Okey as you say; possibly because of Meldon Viaduct and some other structures. Some CE works were done in 1960 I think it was (don't know where) and so Mods were permitted to Plymuff after that. They didn't half look handsome when they arrived.

Thanks for looking at the Bible for 1961. The 6 Exmouth Coaches went on the Waterloo I think unless they were split*  and left the 500 Set behind to work those Exmouth shuttles as you say.  WTF went on the Manchester is anyone's guess*; possibly an error as are several things in that book, otherwise being a really interesting and very useful volume.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Well, the overwhelming wish of the locals would have been to f off from that foreign gang, so they need to get over it. As for the tw4ts, including rich TV presenters that sell fish and chips for the price of Caviar, but not Jenny of course, then who knows? For the sensible ones, that must live in Looe, I feel sad.

Bring back steam I say.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think it may have been that Modifieds were not allowed west of Okey as you say; possibly because of Meldon Viaduct and some other structures.

The Dartmoor Railway in Oke closed its doors this week.  (most of them - the Supporters Shop and Museum is still open)

A complicated story involving an American company, something called Polar Express (but not involving Tom Hanks),  and in the cross fire are lots of old codgers who repaired old rolling stock in a shed at Meldon.

This tin shed in Meldon kept them out of the way of the wife, and for many who no longer had a SWMBO, gave them a meeting point for tea, cake, tall tales and paint scraping. 

I hope something can be done to correct this sad situation.  Even only to keep the codgers codgering.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:28, Mallard60022 said:

I think it may have been that Modifieds were not allowed west of Okey as you say; possibly because of Meldon Viaduct and some other structures. Some CE works were done in 1960 I think it was (don't know where) and so Mods were permitted to Plymuff after that. They didn't half look handsome when they arrived.

Thanks for looking at the Bible for 1961. The 6 Exmouth Coaches went on the Waterloo I think unless they were split*  and left the 500 Set behind to work those Exmouth shuttles as you say.  WTF went on the Manchester is anyone's guess*; possibly an error as are several things in that book, otherwise being a really interesting and very useful volume.

P

IIRC Rebuilt Light Pacifics were permitted to Plymouth from 1961, though still prohibited North Cornwall and Ilfracombe lines.

I'd think a speed restriction might well have been imposed over Meldon viaduct.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Yo Philly Duck Mate

I read your thread on identifying a decoder, so thought it best not to say "Take the thing out and go back to DC".

So did you find out what it is?

You would have been proud of me yesterday driving a DCC layout, with lights,  noise, two tone horns, flange squeal and I even found the clink clank of the shunter coupling up the wagons.  I mastered the go faster and go slower buttons complete with momentum and brakes.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Philly Duck Mate

I read your thread on identifying a decoder, so thought it best not to say "Take the thing out and go back to DC".

So did you find out what it is?

You would have been proud of me yesterday driving a DCC layout, with lights,  noise, two tone horns, flange squeal and I even found the clink clank of the shunter coupling up the wagons.  I mastered the go faster and go slower buttons complete with momentum and brakes.

Just surfaced mate. So much water here you would think it was Duck House Lake. Haven't looked yet about Decoder ID as I am lazy barsteward. I shall go there now to have a peek.

Hope you didn't get too fancy with the noises as people can get narky. Next time you visit The Junction I shall allow you to drive my only sound steam loco spam thingy (thanks Any P) that now has a new speaker and so makes very nice noises. I do have a Class 40 that makes weird sounds if you are desperate.

Oh yes, you would be proud of the sorting I did yesterday to identify engines that must be found a new home, and a couple of DJH kits too.

Coaches and wagons next.

Merci,

P

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Latterly, it was 20 mph for everything, wasn't it?

I think the singling was very last-days, happening in 1966, less than a year before closure of the North Cornwall route to passenger trains. Presumably the WR CCE was having kittens about the structure. 

When I walked over it in the Up direction last May, I am pleased to report not approaching 20 mph. My younger brother and his wife may have been slightly faster. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/02/2020 at 08:43, M.I.B said:

The Dartmoor Railway in Oke closed its doors this week.  (most of them - the Supporters Shop and Museum is still open)

A complicated story involving an American company, something called Polar Express (but not involving Tom Hanks),  and in the cross fire are lots of old codgers who repaired old rolling stock in a shed at Meldon.

This tin shed in Meldon kept them out of the way of the wife, and for many who no longer had a SWMBO, gave them a meeting point for tea, cake, tall tales and paint scraping. 

I hope something can be done to correct this sad situation.  Even only to keep the codgers codgering.

There's a couple more threads on this topic which ever since the idea was promulgated many years ago I got all excited about, but subsequent revelations have somewhat dampened them to the point that even I believe that the connection from Bere Alston to Tavvy is never going to happen.  The prospect of the Exeter connection will also probably suffer the same fate; death by doing nothing!  Now, with the bankruptcy the outlook is even worse.

<<<<<<<<<<<I hope something can be done to correct this sad situation.  Even only to keep the codgers codgering.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Me too, but the whole things now is beginning to look like its not going to happen, even after all the hard work thats gone into the project so far!:cry:

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, brianusa said:

even I believe that the connection from Bere Alston to Tavvy is never going to happen

Essentially, the Tavistock reopening project was taken under the wing of Devon County Council, with (as I understand it), the bulk of the funding coming as a result of the house building in Tavistock.

Then Devon CC lost virtually all it's managers who understood rail projects, either they went (individually) to work for FGW (now GWR) or they retired.

Then Network Rail ramped the 'contingencies' element of the project budget up so high, as to make it virtually unaffordable. I suspect this was due to getting their fingers burnt over the costs of the GWML electrification.

Even the 'contingencies' element of the budget for Marsh Barton station, near Exeter (another Devon CC project) were virtually doubled by NR and that project hasn't happened yet either.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Blimey, I hear the cries from here in sunny 36E.

I am bored so, being inspired from an article in Model Rail 244 Feb 2018, I decided I'd adapt my crude jig for doing turn-unders on brass coach sides. Bit of 20mm, (could have used smaller [the article suggests 10mm) if available if I hadn't decided to use wings), ally angle from Screwfix, couple of M3 Wing Bolts and some M3 Nuts from the late Geoff Brewin's box of bits (RIP mate, got around to using them at last).

4 holes unused are for further M3 size Bolts (Allen Head type), using Capture Fittings in the base of the wood instead of conventional Nuts, fitted if required and spaced so that at least one or two window voids are in the correct place for shoving Bolts through. Side shown formed is a Mousa Models' Maunsell Dining Car, Diagram D2666. Didn't need intermediate Bolts as Mousa sides have this clever half-etch, ridged back to the sides, making forming without distortion, very easy indeed. Only had the sides 6 years, so it is about time I got on with this :o

I might get some smaller angle if other sides are not protruding enough to be formed correctly.

Fortunately Maunsell sides do not have a continuous curved side as do Bulleids (that's why Comet sides come ready formed thank goodness).

20200226_140902-1.jpg.84964f063985231e83aa2807abe428e8.jpg

20200226_141026-1.jpg.7d356d5b6c33d2f425a0091ee41f27c2.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Very nice,

Something I really could do with investing in.  Dont suppose there is anyone in the trade selling something similar?

With something like that to assist in forming the tumblehome, I might finally get on with building my TPO set...

RTR...not sure about , but it is dead easy to make Rich. Bit of Architrave off-cut, strip of Plasticard about 0.75mm and almost as long as the longest coach side (eg 280mm), set of Allen Head bolts with keeper thingies from Cornwall Model Boats. Set up by taking a brass side and marking where the top edge would be placed on the wood to ensure the bottom part of the side gets shaped around the 'curve' of the wood; Plasticard needs to be glued dead parallel of course. You could be  clever in some way to make that Plasticard 'edge' more versatile but I have done Gresleys, Maunsells, various GWR Diagrams and some Midland sides with just the one position. What sides are your TPOs?

Phil

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1